Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I haven't play the game yet. I'm just looking at the board and it seems G.P have around 60 available planets/locations to colonize compare to around 77 in Terra Mystica. Does G.P have even more competition/tension to fight/grab spaces than T.M? Or does the game not revolve as much digs/terraforming than T.M?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a straight forward answer to this. Gaia planets and Trandsim planets only require one "step" to transform, but they use a different kind of step than shovels/ore. In some sense, it is easier because players can worry less about getting plants that require two or three steps to transform, but in some sense it is tighter because everybody will be competing for these easy planets. Similarly, Transdim planets require at least one bump on the gaiaforming tech track to colonize, so its easier to get access to these planets if your opponents don't move up that track.

All that said, in the two games I've played so far, it seems like it has been easier to build larger empires in Gaia than TM. In particular, getting three federations in Gaia is more common than getting three cities in TM. I don't really feel like the game makes expansion difficult provided you are aware that you either need to get 2 navigation or secure some QICs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
In TM there are 11 hexagons per terrain type (from 2 to 5 players), so the actual competition depends a lot on how many people you bring to te table.

In GP (2 players) there are:
- 4 planets for each of the 7 basic planet types.
- 5 gaia planets
- 7 transdim planets

With 3 or 4 players there are:
- 6 planets for each of the 7 basic planet types.
- 7 gaia planets
- 12 transdim planets

Competition for space, in space, is still high but there is a quite lower chance of being blocked out and isolated.
Also, gaia and transdim planets require the same effort for all the 7 colors, so that's a common ground for conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There are 42 (6x7) home planets, 7 Gaias, and 12 transdim for 61 total on the board. If you include the lost planet, that is 62. The competition for planets can be a little more fierce, but the game is also more flexible regarding that competition. It's also easier to improve your terraforming in Gaia than it is in TM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmb
My feeling was also there there was slightly less contention for expansion space in Gaia, which for me was a clear positive. Which doesn't mean that there isn't tension and land rush, but different costs to terraforming, gaia worlds, and barren world means some space will be available if you are willing to put in the effort. It works well imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I find interesting is that the different potential endgame scoring categories (which change from game to game) may cause expansion to be more or less valuable from one play to the next. That is a good thing, in my opinion, causing players to evaluate what strategy they need to push for in each game - rather than simply doing the same thing each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Pollitt
Canada
flag msg tools
I've only played one 4 player game so far. (Loved it BTW) All were very familiar with TM and other games which I'm sure helped.

Overall, it felt like there was more competition for planets than in TM, particularly Gaia's but because of the flexibility of the game, if someone grabbed a planet just before others, the feeling seemed to be "Oh darn, I'll have to do something else then." rather than "Now, everything is ruined" (which I've certainly felt occasionally in TM.)

Even the player who kind of felt shut out from planets still had lots of options and came 2nd overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
drspikes wrote:
I've only played one 4 player game so far. (Loved it BTW) All were very familiar with TM and other games which I'm sure helped.

Overall, it felt like there was more competition for planets than in TM, particularly Gaia's but because of the flexibility of the game, if someone grabbed a planet just before others, the feeling seemed to be "Oh darn, I'll have to do something else then." rather than "Now, everything is ruined" (which I've certainly felt occasionally in TM.)

Even the player who kind of felt shut out from planets still had lots of options and came 2nd overall.

i agree. in 4 player i think competition for planets is more fierce. you have ways to pivot but there are going to be planets that multiple players really want and few that you feel comfortably are yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After about 15-20 games my overall feeling is that GP is less competitive in the sense that it is less fierce. This amounts to a couple of reasons:

- Competition on tech tracks is lower than competition on cult tracks. Some people on the forums here disagree with me on that, but for our playgroup (which mostly plays 3p), people usually pick in a way such that you don't want to start fighting over L5 spots / adv. techs on the same tracks, simply because that usually means a laughing third who isn't participating in the race

- While Gaia planets and transdims introduce a sort of competition that isn't present in TM, overall you can't really crush people the way you could back in TM. I have yet to see someone screwing another player out of a federation in GP. I think the comment from drspikes above describes this pretty well.

- Resources and town/federation tiles - in particular gold - are more abundant. Additionally there are a lot of possible combo chains, since the tech tracks have various resource payouts during the round. So even if you have an idea of what your opponent might be planning, you can't hurt them the same way as you could with grabbing a certain town tile or ACT(4) in TM.

You might want to have a look in this thread, a lot of this was already discussed there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.