14 Posts

Lords of Hellas» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo Campaign: Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias F
Germany
flag msg tools
Have you seen the yellow sign have you seen the yellow sign have you seen the yellow sign have you seen
badge
Tobaius Is Not A Cylon
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaire, Lords and Ladies of Hellas,

I am currently going through both 1v1 (me vs. myself) as well as the Solo campaign in order to be clear with all the rules once our gaming group assembles next time. In this process, a couple of questions came up and I am hoping that you can help me find the right approach to playing properly. Looking forward to your constructive feedback.

Here goes:
Solo campaign – General Rules:

Topic: Population Attitude

RAW (page 4): Population Attitude will worsen due to Monster actions (it drops by one every time a Monster terrorizes a Region) and Persian interference.

Question: In what way exactly is PA affected by “Persian interference”? I have found no other reference than the above and no exact details. Does PA in a Land drop by 1 once the Land in its entirety is conquered? Does PA drop by 1 each time a Region of a Land is conquered by the Persians? Any other suggestions?
Solo campaign – Act 1:

Topic: Killing Monsters and completing Quests

RAW: n/a

Question: This one is about time & task management: has anyone of you managed to kill both Monsters and complete both Quests before the Oracle of Delphi is destroyed? (This approach to Act 1 required you to completely forego any attempt to stop the Persian Vanguard and instead try your utmost to “buff” Achilles and your forces for Act 2).
Solo campaign – Act 2:

Topic: Scoring Victory Points

RAW (page 11): You win as soon as: Your Victory Counter on the Persian Invasion Track reaches 0.

Question: How exactly can I score Victory points? None of the Script Book texts indicates gaining Victory points. So far, I have found not a single way to score points (which is odd, but you can still win by 2 other Victory Conditions).
Thanks in advance for your help & may the Gods smile upon you.
T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mayse
United States
Los Lunas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobias

General Rules:
Population Attitude is typically affected by Persian Interference based on entries in the Act I or II Scripts (ex. Act I Script 8 which tells to reduce the PA by one in the two northernmost Lands - Red and Yellow)

Act I:
No, I have not been able to kill any Monsters in Act I as I was focusing more time towards Quests. My main strategy was to Hunt Monsters just to get Priest rewards from specific Wounds in order to help level up Achilles' stats in Act I and then focus on finishing off Monsters in Act II while my Armies handled the Persian expansions. Having Achilles fight in Battles is a waste of time in my opinion as he is the only one that can Hunt to stave off Monsters destroying Monuments. Also, I focused on Quests for Artifact collection in Act I to somewhat help mitigate having to use the Pass Special Action frequently and alleviate the negative affects of uncompleted Quests for Act II.

Act II:
Victory Points are scored by winning Battles (page 4 of the Campaign Book - Battle Results and Casualties) Under the Act II section under the diagram it reads:

A victory over the Persian army allows you to remove either all Persian Hoplites or the Persian Control Token from this Region. Additionally, move the Victory Counter by 1 slot towards 0 (this counter will be placed at the beginning of Act II on the Persian Invasion Track).

I have not been able to win the entire Campaign yet as Xerxes forces/influence overwhelm me in Act II, but Act I is entirely manageable if you prioritize building Allied and Loyal forces to beat back the Vanguard quickly. I think the key to building forces quickly is getting Priests and doing Prayers while the Monuments are still at full strength and reaping the Leadership upgrade and larger Hoplite deployment. The quicker you beat back the Vanguard in Act I helps with how many Battles you have to win in Act II because the Victory Point marker should start at a lower point on the Invasion Track. Stalling for time in Act II to finish the last turn of the game hoping you have enough controlled Regions is a huge risk unless you burned a LOT of time in Act I gaining control of Regions and there are fewer Used Action tokens left in the pool. I haven't tried eliminating Persian control tokens yet in Act II...

Anyway, hope this helps your understanding of the rules and potentially improve your strategies for this excellent solo version of the game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias F
Germany
flag msg tools
Have you seen the yellow sign have you seen the yellow sign have you seen the yellow sign have you seen
badge
Tobaius Is Not A Cylon
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matt,

first of all, thanks a lot for the time you took for these detailed explanations. I'm a little embarassed to see that I obviously lacked the Eye of Graeae to simply, well... properly read the passages you mentioned, despite several go-throughs. Thanks for the clarifications!

I will definitely focus more on the Leadership upgrade that you recommended - by lack thereof during my last playthrough my forces were meager to say the least.

Again, big thanks for the hints & helps and Happy Gaming to all of us with this amazing game and its cool solo mode!

Cheers,
T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Dee
msg tools
mb
Act I:

I managed to fulfill 0 or 1 or 2 quests, depending on where they were and how many monsters there were. But the priority are the monsters. You can even leave the vanguard finish the act I if you dont mind loosing Delphi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Dee
msg tools
mb
warwalk wrote:
Tobias

My main strategy was to Hunt Monsters just to get Priest rewards from specific Wounds

I think, you are not supposed to get the usual rewards for fighting monsters. You get 1 blessing card only.

This makes it much harder in Act I, I discuss it in another thread in Rules section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
mbmb
JohnnyDee wrote:
I think, you are not supposed to get the usual rewards for fighting monsters. You get 1 blessing card only.

It's exactly as you said, you get only 1 Blessing Card for killing a Monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike mills
msg tools
Awaken Realms wrote:
JohnnyDee wrote:

It's exactly as you said, you get only 1 Blessing Card for killing a Monster.

Sorry this answer is confusing. You get rewards for wounding monsters AND rewards for killing them.

The rules only directly indicate that the rewards for killing monsters is different in solo, not wounding them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does population control drop when a “monster terrorizes a region”? Does PA go down just when it appears?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Thomas
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
How does population control drop when a “monster terrorizes a region”? Does PA go down just when it appears?

Hey Terence,

During the Events Phase, the number on the back of your Used Action Token refers you to a Script. If the Script has a line reading "Monster Phase: Yes" you roll the Monster Die one-at-a-time for each Monster on the Map.

If the Monster Die is NULL (zero with a slash), then the result says "the monster terrorizes the local populace" which lowers the Population Attitude for that corresponding Land.

It's on page 3 under MONSTER DICE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
svardosi wrote:
tlee33 wrote:

Hey Terence,

It's on page 3 under MONSTER DICE.

Thanks! I totally missed that, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mealer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I assume you lose if you run out of special action tokens but I can't find this in the book... does anyone know where this clarified?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello all,

I’ve drawn the “Aid to Atlas” quest which requires 5 strength to complete, but per the campaign book special action rules for passing, I do not remove priests at monuments. How do I complete this quest?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can complete 'Aid To Atlas' by starting at the entry level with 2 strength and use two turns to move up the quest track. The 5 strength only shows requirement to start the quest at that level not finish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mann
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plur42 wrote:
I assume you lose if you run out of special action tokens but I can't find this in the book... does anyone know where this clarified?

On page 11 that ends the game and you only win if you control more regions than the Persians
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.