Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
363 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games you rate a 1! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_a_geeklist [+] Another_thread_for_people_who_don't_like_games [+] [View All]
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
What game in your collection do you despise so much that you're bitter enough to rate it a 1? For me it's mouse trap. I absolutely despise this game (if you could even call it that). Let me travel along the board pointlessly until the end while my kids repeatedly set off the half built contraption until the marbles are rolling all around the floor so I have to keep rebuilding it until the end when we go around in a circle over and over until the trap moves awkwardly and doesn't work correctly at the one moment when we are SUPPOSED to set it off. Worst game ever made.

What do you rate a 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards Against Humanity, but not because it's cool to hate on CAH, I just no longer enjoy playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game where the designer is the only reviewer and rated it a 10...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Souls: The Board Game because it was wasted material, turned into a rushed and poorly tested game.

I'm still having some fun with it. But it should have been much, much more.

Finished! For me, this simply doesn't qualify as a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldspire wrote:

If they're the only reviewer, sure I can agree with that. But, I'd hate to think a designer is creating a game they don't like... I expect the designer to rate their own game a 10.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
National Trash - Didn't really expect much from this and got even less.

Quests of the Round Table - I was surprised how broken the core mechanism was for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rate them ALL a 1!
Quick, someone get user Smjj on the line!

Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Oregon Trail Card Game is a shameless and opportunistic cash in that relies solely on the nostalgia of kids who played it in school. The game has absolutely zero redeeming qualities. Even a bad game can have some modicum of entertainment but The Oregon Trail Card Game managed to defy that minimal expectation. The game literally makes me feel embarrassed when I see it in the store, because I know some unsuspecting and hopeful person will buy it and will put in honest effort to try to enjoy it before coming to the inevitable realization that they wasted both their money and their time. They’ve been scammed. It makes me cringe. I have seen dog shit on the ground that was more interesting than that game, at least it doesn’t ask you for $10 bucks and an hour of your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
What do you rate a 1?

Exploding Kittens. There's no game; it's Russian roulette with cards. If there's no game in the game, then it's a failure and thus a 1. It even has the drawback that you are still alive afterwards and might be asked to play it again.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Oregon Trail Card Game
my only game rated a 1

AHH! I've been ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greedy Greedy Goblins I don't really rate games anymore to be honest, but this game was beyond terrible. Speed and memory and quick reaction. Not fun.

Worst. Game. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far .... none. Given a few 2s, to games that were at least actual games, but complete shit games.

Anything worse than those, I can't imagine taking the time to find them and rate them.

FWIW I also have no 10s.

I do need to catch up on rating the collection, so maybe later.

John, who rates modestly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Travis
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LCR. It isn't a game, just an activity. I don't find it any fun, but my wife's family does, so it takes away time from playing real games so they can gamble on random outcomes that take way longer to resolve than they should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
goldspire wrote:

If they're the only reviewer, sure I can agree with that. But, I'd hate to think a designer is creating a game they don't like... I expect the designer to rate their own game a 10.

~V

Yeah, only if they're the only reviewer. I expect the designer to like their own game. I do not expect them to review it on BGG as they are obviously biased!

Of course once hundreds of reviews pour in, then their one review has very little impact
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chutes and Ladders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have Star Fleet Missions set at 1. I did this mostly because I don't believe it was really created to be a game. I think it was created as a set of collector cards which attempted to reflect the relative strengths and abilities of the ships as depicted in the shows and other games, and not to be a playable game. There is no balance in the factions and no real "game" there, you merely match abilities to requirements on the mission cards, which are also there to remind you of Star Trek scenarios, so it got the 1.

Pete (kept the cards for what they are, but will never actually play with them as a game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Games from scumbag publishers.

Usually I deliver my scorn for the bad games themselves via '2'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not in my collection but I'd rate Magic Maze a 1. I just don't see what all the hype is about and I actively disliked everything about my one and only play. To each their own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Literally in my collection, I have none. Why on Earth would I own a game that I rate a 1?

In the broader sense of BGG collection, I have 11 games rated a 1. Quite simply, I rate a game a 1 if it has no positive qualities (great art or components are enough to raise it to 1.5 or 2 for me). The famous ones among them are Exploding Kittens, Zombie Dice, Dungeon Fighter and Dungeon Roll. Most of the others are Brazilian games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tfoz15 wrote:
Its not in my collection but I'd rate Magic Maze a 1. I just don't see what all the hype is about and I actively disliked everything about my one and only play. To each their own...

That's funny because I would happily rate it a 10. I have almost 40 plays.

There is something for everyone I guess.

I haven't played a broken game yet so no 1's from me. Blueprints is my least favourite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None. I don't consider any game broken. As close as it gets is We Didn't Playtest This At All and that's the point so it is working as intended. Now 2s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have one 1, Trump: The Game, and that was political pique. I gave Victory in Europe a 2 because it was dreck that I sadly Kickstartered. Next I have a few 3s (including CaH). I tend not to play games that I'll end up rating a 1 or 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not rated anything a 1, but I do have Quao in my collection and rated it a 2. It came in a box of mystery games from tanga.com and I just have not gotten rid of it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Weber
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only rated The Mad Magazine Game a 1. It is a roll and move with zero choices and can take forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only given out one 1 rating: Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham Game

The experience was so awful. On top of that, it is an affront to my username.

Everything
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
said about Oregon Trail is relevant here, and he (she?) said it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.