GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,896 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Kingdomino» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Kingdomino Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
She's such a Geek
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My family and I picked up Kingdomino & Queendomino on boxing day. We only saved a couple of dollars but whatever we planned on buying them anyways.

Before adding them together we decided to give just Kingdomino a try.

Kingdomino is the classic game of dominoes but with a twist. It won the 2017 Spiel des Jahres and I had heard nothing but good things about it.

How to Play
Each player starts with a king (or 2 depending on the number of players). A row of 3 or 4 randomly drawn dominoes are lined up in numerical order, and then flipped over to reveal kingdom terrain tiles (fields, meadows, swamps, mines, forests and lakes). To start the game, the Kings are drawn out in random order, and the player who owns that King chooses which domino to place their King on.

Once all four dominoes each have a King on them, four more tiles are drawn from the box, and again they are placed in numerical order, again with the lowest number at the top of the column. Players (lowest first) place the dominoes they choose into their 5x5 grid kingdom, and then place their king on one of the available dominoes. And repeat.

At the end of the game, players score their points for their properties that contain one or more crown. 1 point per square of that property, multiplied by the number of crowns in it. There may be multiple properties for each land type. Properties without crowns have no score.

The game does include some additional rules than can be used to make the game more strategic. Players can mix and match the variant rules to their liking.

Game 1:

Score:
Seven 39 ⭐
Sean 39 ⭐
Amber 28
Paris 28

Game 2:

Score:
Steven 46⭐
Paris 31
Amber 30
Sean 27

It really is so simple yet so much fun. I was able to teach my kids how to play in just a few minutes. We played 2 games which were really fast, lasting about 10 minutes each.

The artwork is fantastic, fun and it suits the theme so well. My kids loved pointing out the little things like the man with the giant boots, the guy fighting a giant spider and the bug-eyed scared sheep looking up at the hungry dragon flying above. I'd really like to invest in the giant version of the game one day just so we can get a better look at the artwork. The domino tiles are very thick and durable with a nice glossy finish on both sides and the big king Meeples are a nice touch as well. This game is extremely light so we're definitely looking forward to adding in Queendomino with it next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.