Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I want to take the plunge but I'm tapped out for a bit and this game looks like it could become a sinkhole of gaming funds with so many options. Is there still plenty of time to buy starter set and the first wave of new ships to see how I like it?

Also, how many ships do you need to realistically create fun battles for 2-4 players (usual size of serious game group). Do you ever give multiple ships to a player or stick with 1 per player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
One to two ships per player is probably the max, especially for newer players (and seasoned ones as well). It's never too late to get in...you don't need "one of everything". I'd get ships that match up with each other vs getting ship classes that are all over the board. The first and second rates have the higher firepower and might be the best option for you before moving on to frigates, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is more than ample stuff still available for the game. As mentioned, you will only want each player to play a max of 2 ships each and even that is stretching it.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D F Visker
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Amicis Inimicis Promptus
mbmbmbmb
Just begin with the starterset and see how you like it. It comes with four ships and that's enough to get a good feel of the game. I can recommend the game for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i know for WoG/WoW there are fan made campaigns and so on, is there anything like that for SoG? I'm afraid to look to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ares website has several scenarios that are free to download. Also, you might want to check out the Anchorage site, dedicated to SoG stuff...
https://www.sailsofglory.org/content.php?s=09ab8e7abd48541ce...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Ares website has several scenarios that are free to download. Also, you might want to check out the Anchorage site, dedicated to SoG stuff...
https://www.sailsofglory.org/content.php?s=09ab8e7abd48541ce...

Thanks, it looks like there is a good amount of good stuff here! I may have to look into get a starter set after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to have newbies here

I guess you as all the others find some interest in the game or you wouldn’t look this page.
You may like the time period or the fascination for old sailboat battles.

What I can recommend as so many others is that you may buy the starter set. Play it a few times and your fascination of this great game will grow. Then you may expand as you will. As your interest grows you will buy more ships for more possibilities.
There is some great buys in e-bay where you may buy whole waves and save money.

It is a game where you can play small battle with only two ships or large scale battles with many players. And they are all very fun.
There is a lot of scenarios here to play, and easy to make your own scenario with the points system of Ares. If you want larger campaigns there is some available for download.
This is a great miniatures game with a good system. There are also soon coming captain and crew cards so you may bring this extra flavor to the battles.

You want to be a captain of large ship of above 100 cannons standing on the bridge as cannonballs and musket fire hurl around you. There is fire, and your ship is leaking. You send your crew to pump water and repair the hull. Some to extinguish the fire as the rest fires on your enemy ships.
Or the captain of a smaller vessel pressing your ship to the maximum to hunt down an enemy ship of great value through some bad weather. There are so many possibilities…..

There is a lot of fun with this game and it is very easy to make scenarios or play historical one.
If you hurry into this game you may enjoy the new large French vs English campaign that is coming soon from me.Here you may play a part in changing the history of the battle of Trafalgar. Here you may play battles leading up to the big battle and even play some part in the Battle of Trafalgar as well.

Come and join us and take part in history
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome it will have to wait a month while I rebuild my game fund though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most impressive part about Sails to me is that I am really not a fan, in any way, of sailing ship games.

Sails of Glory got me hooked but it is the only age of sail game that I own and play.

That should tell you something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
The most impressive part about Sails to me is that I am really not a fan, in any way, of sailing ship games.

Sails of Glory got me hooked but it is the only age of sail game that I own and play.

I agree with Steve...and I've tried a number of these types of games...actually, it's the only NAVAL game that has grabbed my interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul cleveland
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato
badge
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. " -Unknown author ?
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
sduke wrote:

I agree with Steve...and I've tried a number of these types of games...actually, it's the only NAVAL game that has grabbed my interest.

I agree with the consensus that of the available formats and scales, I've tried numerous, this is by far the best game in town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Get a Starter Set.

You can't do anything without it, and they seem to get out of print periodically and take some time to get back into print.

2. Your Starter set has 2 Frigates and 2 mid-level Ships of the Line.

Frigates don't do well head-to-head with SOLs.

If you want to limit expenditures, make a choice of which "direction" you want to go.

You can get more frigates-- slightly larger, slightly smaller, and even some very small schooners. Interesting play, lots of maneuver, etc. There are "brigs" somewhere in the near future, which would be in-between the schooner and the frigates. (The smaller ships are a big less costly as well.)

Or you can go for "line of battle" and get more SOLs-- with options for slightly smaller than your starter set, equal, slightly larger, or mega big dogs of over 100 guns. These ships don't maneuver as far or as much but are big for pounding matches.

If you will take your personal collection in ONE of those directions, you will have lots of play options without having to spend a lot.

Enjoy, but see #1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the advice! Can’t wait to have enough saved up to get started. Will probably just do starter and a set of small schooners so I can have a variety of ship sizes and see which I like more: maneuver or slugfest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umrmeche wrote:
probably just do starter and a set of small schooners

That's your first mistake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
umrmeche wrote:
probably just do starter and a set of small schooners

That's your first mistake!

It often is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wife bought me this for Father's Day. Huzzah! now off to my OLGS to get some additional ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don’t buy more than 12...for a start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Don’t buy more than 12...for a start :D

ha ha. well my gaming fund had just enough to get the USS constitution which seemed a consensus early pick and then a light frigate for HMS so the USS can duke it out 1 vs 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.