Subject: The cheaper storage solutions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm quite honestly experiencing sensory overload with all the storage solutions in the "files" section.

So, does anyone know which of the solutions are the least expensive? I was thinking a couple cheap plano boxes and a file folding for the tiles.

Anyone here who went cheaper and found good results, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Gracias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acctingman wrote:
I'm quite honestly experiencing sensory overload with all the storage solutions in the "files" section.

So, does anyone know which of the solutions are the least expensive? I was thinking a couple cheap plano boxes and a file folding for the tiles.

Anyone here who went cheaper and found good results, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Gracias

I went overboard to begin with, but have found a (not so cheap) larger file folder and some CD envelopes make a really good start(I keep the monster stat cards/tokens/ability cards in them). I would also add a binder for the item cards, and either a plano box or baggies for the overlay tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheapest Solution: Baggies
Cheap Solution: CD sleeves for the monsters standees/stat cards/ai cards
Cheap Solution: Plano Boxes
Cheap Solution: File folder for map tiles

Anything beyond this is superfluous, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to you both.

This is the route I'll go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the best solution (cheap or otherwise) to be:
A couple of "pill" boxes for the small status tokens.
Baggies for the terrain features.
Tuckboxes printed on glossy paper for the monster standees+cards.
Paper dividers for the remaining cards.

This results in everything fitting in the box with about an inch to spare, efficient use of the existing insert, immediate visual reference for every component direct from the box, and monster standee/card/decks being stored together.

I honestly can't imagine a better storage solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the CD sleeve idea for monster stuff (holding the square stat card, the standees, and usually the ability cards). I picked up a box of 100 from walmart for about 6 bucks, which is more than you need, and I gave the remaining ones to 2 other people who had their own copies of Gloomhaven. I just put the stuff for the Bosses all together in a sandwich-sized ziplock bag, as they aren't used as often as the other monsters. And I also did something a little different with the monster groups that share the same ability deck (3 types of Archers, 3 types of Guards, 2 types of Shaman, and 2 types of Imps). I put the stat card and standees for each group (i.e. Bandit Guard) in their own CD sleeve, but then put all 2-3 of those CD sleeves into a sandwich-sized ziplock with the ability deck. Ended up needing about 34 cd sleeves and 5 ziplock bags total.

Also bought some cheap off-brand plano-type boxes from walmart (about $2.50 each) that were the same overall size as the Plano 3600 boxes suggested in many of the storage solutions, and thus they fit inside the Gloomhaven box.
#1) used for the tokens (status, damage, coins, etc.) and stands used while actually playing the game
#2) used for all the terrain overlays, doors, traps, etc. used for setting up scenarios (though I had to cut out a divider to accomodate the 3-hex terrain tokens).
#3) used another to keep the multiple attack modifier decks in (the 4 player decks, the monster deck, the two curse stacks, the bless stack, the -1 encumberance stack, and I keep the battle goal deck in there, as it is the same size (and also because the boxes I got only came with 12 adjustable divider panels each, which wasn't enough to subdivide the token box enough, but dividing it for these card decks only used 8 dividiers, leaving me with 4 to transfer over to the token box)

picking up a few 16-pocket minicard pages to display the items available for purchase comes in handy too (my FLGS sold them for 25 cents each) is a nice way to easily see what you can buy when you return to town

And I personally just kept the map tiles stacked in alpabetical order and stuck in a couple gallon-sized ziplocks. not quite as organized as the file folder, but takes up less space and I found it easy to just thumb through the stack to find what I want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Bartel
Australia
Salisbury Heights
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not as cheap as just using baggies, my solution (borrowing heavily from other solutions, e.g. using the packing foam to store the standees) was cheaper than using Plano boxes. This thread shows how it was constructed. I don't think you can get much cheaper and still have easy access to all components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
That looks pretty slick Danny, but too time consuming for me. Thanks for sharing though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
I really like the CD sleeve idea for monster stuff (holding the square stat card, the standees, and usually the ability cards). I picked up a box of 100 from walmart for about 6 bucks. I picked up a box of 100 from walmart for about 6 bucks, which is more than you need...

Why does it not shock me that in an age where CDs are all but obsolete, WalMart is sure to have CD sleeves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C S
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 3 plano type boxes: 1 big one for monster standees, another big one for "dungeon features" (obstacles, coins, doors, traps etc) and a small one for all the stuff I need during gameplay (damage tokens, status tokens, summons etc). I use the insert that comes with the game for the cards and just have the map tiles loose in the box.

Works well for organization, but the big planos don't fit in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I use two "bead boxes" from Michael's craft store. Each cost about $3 each. The smaller one I used for all the smaller tokens/effects. The larger one I use to fit most of my monster standees, extra HP dice, chests. I also use CD sleeves for monster AI & stat cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this apparently hasn't been mentioned before:

I'm using cut up cardboard from the box GH came in as dividers until I get around to foamcoring. If you put some care in to cutting and measuring, it'll look much better than mine (I consider it a temporary solution, after all).

If I'd read about using the foam inside the box as inserts, I definitely would have done that, as well. I'm pretty sure if you cut it the right way, you could store all tokens, counters and tiles in it.

I'm sure the CD method is the best way to deal with monsters, especially if you glue a copy of the stat sleeves on to them.

Oh, and a file folder for map tiles. Mine has enough room for map tiles, rule book, sticker sheets and scenarios.

All of my suggestion would come down to 12€-ish, and 2-5 hours of work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.