Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Attaque! Toujours attaque!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming buddy Marten Jan and me started a new RB campaign. I´m the Russians again. The first time I lost miserably (see my other AAR).
Let´s see what happens this time..

Turn 1
The German attempts to open up with an artillery barrage from the 80 mm Mortar OBA, centering on the F-line, basically the row of houses just behind the rail road tracks in the North West of the map. He draws red, so it has to wait. Pfew..
Another difference with our previous campaign is that this time we didn´t overlook the fact that German reinforcements only enter in turn 2
So, this turn wasn´t so bad. Didn´t lose a thing, just some Germans running about.. Of course now I knew the barrage was coming, so I had to decide whether to stay or run.
I only repositioned one or two units in my turn. The Germans broke 1 4-4-7 in DF, but that was it.
Looked like this:

Turn 2
As it turned out the Germans had decided to field another 2 companies as their reinforcements. No tanks.
I already feared for my left flank.. In my previous campaign the Germans broke through and rushed down Tramvanayastreet (the street running parallel the railroad track) If I ever play the Russians again, I think I´ll put even more units there.. Having said that, if I would have the units..shake
German progress on my right flank was mercifully slow..

He fared better on my left flank. The B12 building is lost. He broke and ELR-ed a 4-4-7, which then had to leave it´s MMG in the rout phase. I now have 2 broken squads west of the tracks and no non-reserve leader to rally them..
This is the situation at the end of my turn. I´m pulling back a bit. Left two dummy stacks adjacent to the Germans to make him prep fire at nothing..
I´ve kept one MMC in the cellar of the F5 building (north west corner) Don´t know how it will work out. Could be a nuisance to him and a cause of delay..
So far I´m happy.. Two MMC´s broken, one German HS lost. I think MJ is a tad slow, but I´ve thought that before and lost

Turn 3
Still no Stuka´s.
A German MMC descends into the cellar in F5.. He stumbles into my MMC hiding there, but the Russian fire only results in the creation of a German hero.. MJ then moved in with an MMC with a DC, which broke my hapless defender, which then was destroyed due to failure to rout..
Had a hidden 4-4-7 + MMG on the first floor of the I6 building (in the North). Wasted to nice shots a Germans walking in the open.. Damn.. So far all my traps have come to naught..
A mega stack with a 10-3 broke my defence in C15. One 5-2-7 broke, a 4-2-6 was halved and DM´ed and a 4-4-7 also halved and broken. It´s getting pretty thin down there..
So I lost 4 VP´s in the German turn.

In my turn a 4-4-7 with a MMG is hit by snake eyes (damn) and breaks and gets ELR-ed and halved.
One of my 8-0- was stuck in a cellar and was broken. I´m not at 5 VP losses, while the German still has only 1 VP lost.

Turn 4
Still no Stuka´s. Good news
The Germans found two of my HIP units in a cellar and rubble. I had planned to use them to “pop up” against a vulnerable squad. No such thing happened. One of them got escaped, and the other is still locked up in a cellar next to a killer stack.
I´m transferring units away from the north east to the south west, you never know how long the day will last, I might need them pug the hole in my left flank.
German losses were minimal, I´m now at 8 VP´s down. I´m made no enemy kills.. Bummer..

Turn 5
This was a bad turn for me.gulp The Stuka´s were flying and killed one of my dug in KV´s that I had barely used. It´s now burning in the rubble.. (see the red blaze counter north of the westmost factory)
All in all I lost 17 VP´s this turn (including 5 VP for the KV-1) and only gained 2. The Germans even executed 2 CC´s. I guess they were forcing the issue.. Well, they did.
But all this was to be expected. I just got carried away with the lack of Russian casualties. All in all I´m still happy with progress. The north east holds up pretty good and my factories are still secure.

Day 6

Boy, was I glad I rolled a 2 for the end of day roll..wow. The Germans just had routed my last units in the south west. There´s only a 9-1 leader fit for fighting.. The city lay wide open to them. I´m glad Marten Jan didn´t use his tanks on this side of the front, with just that little more, he would have broken clean through.

The butchers bill is 33 VP´s while I only took 5 VP´s of the Germans. Mind you there´s a KV included in that, so it sort of amounts to a whole company. Based on previous experience and AAR´s I´ve read, this was to be expected and is not a disaster. My take on this is that I´m still in the race to keep the city.. arrrh

The end of day perimeter looks like this:

Link to Day 2: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1928112/campaign-iii-ba...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cannamore
United States
Eagle River
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Peter,

I’m enjoying this AAR just like I enjoyed your other. Playing this campaign is on my bucket list. Someday, someday. Till then I really appreciate AARs like yours. Thanks for posting.

FYI there is a version 2 of the VASL board available on the VASL downloads site. Version 1 is working just fine for you obviously. Just wanted you to know about version 2 with its updated graphics and LOS capability.

Have a great day and enjoy your game!

Al
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Al,
Thanks for the thumb´s up! Appreciate it.

Will have a look for that second version. It´s a bit late for changing boards now, but I guess it won´t be the last time I play this..

Regards,
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drake
United States
Picayune
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter,

Great AAR--I am hooked on reading this campaign to completion (assuming you keep posting reports.)

Russians did very well on the opening day,I believe.Upcoming days will be difficult for them though.

If you ever get a chance, check out an article in Critical Hit magazine #2,titled "Dying By the Half Squad"--good tactical primer for playing RB.Has some nasty tricks in there too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drakester wrote:
Peter,

Great AAR--I am hooked on reading this campaign to completion (assuming you keep posting reports.)

Russians did very well on the opening day,I believe.Upcoming days will be difficult for them though.

If you ever get a chance, check out an article in Critical Hit magazine #2,titled "Dying By the Half Squad"--good tactical primer for playing RB.Has some nasty tricks in there too!

Thanks Mark,
Glad you liked it!!
Will do my best to continue. Hey, what would a writer be without readers?

Thanks for the tip. Will scout for that magazine.
Regards,
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.