6 Posts

Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: How is it as a regular game after completing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolando
msg tools
mbmb
How does the game hold up after completing the campaign? How's its replayability compared to a standard euro?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played a post-campaign game yet, but I can say it's the first legacy game I've played where I've actually been excited to try one. Risk Legacy was viable, but it never saw the table after the campaign. Pandemic Legacy is technically playable in its final state, but really isn't meant to be. SeaFall was not good enough to warrant playing once the campaign was over.

Final Charterstone spoilers
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Because of the variable objectives, variable personas, and (most importantly) the fact that individual sky islands no longer belong to any one charter, there looks like there is plenty of replayability on a final board.

One slightly weird wrinkle is that by the end of the campaign, most players had six workers right at the beginning of the game (two standard, four minions), and Charterstone post-campaign brings that back down to two-to-three. I can imagine it being a bit slower to get engines going, and depending on which buildings are built/showing, it might not even be possible to get new minions, so it might overall have a slower feel, with more turns spent just to retrieve workers.

Depending on how the campaign went and which buildings are available, it might not feel as "tight" as other Euros out there (some actions spaces can end up being literally useless), but I still expect it to hit the table post-campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Moopenheimer
msg tools
curious on replies.
We completed #8. The board looks nice already. I wonder, if it is still as exciting if completed. And I wonder if you can attract players who didn't work on the completion. But we will exchange boards with other players to test their village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D . J .
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've completed the campaign, what I've done is to go ahead and look at all the buildings in the index that we didn't unlock, and arbitrarily decide which ones to place on the board (blasphemy, perhaps.)

I did this so I can attempt to "balance" out the board, trying to make sure all the various gameplay aspects are available and ultimately provide the widest availability of options.

(gameplay spoilers)
For instance, I am trying to make sure all of the minions are available to purchsase in every game, by placing a different minion building in each charter. Same with the buildings that give you points for trading in specific colors of peril tokens. I also plan to place buildings on most of the empty sky islands that weren't built on during the campaign, so that there will be a good variety of different options when they are randomly chosen at the start of a post-campaign game.

Thus, I have made the conscious decision to turn my post-campaign games into ones where building and unlocking crates will be much less available, and secondary to earning points in other ways. Still, there are so many buildings, that even if I cover every plot,

and empty sky island,

a lot of them will still be available to unlock and build (over existing buildings) if I decide to put them in the advancement deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Moopenheimer
msg tools
great idea.
maybe use the sky tiles double sided and draw from a bag when setting up the board. also either make the blimp field from building a building to draw one from the bag and the charterstone to roll the dice for points (own charter = 1 point for every helper in there, charter one of my meeples stands in = 2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Minis by DJS wrote:
Now that I've completed the campaign, what I've done is to go ahead and look at all the buildings in the index that we didn't unlock, and arbitrarily decide which ones to place on the board (blasphemy, perhaps.)

I don't know if it's blasphemy, but it seems like it'd leave you with a board that has the least personality.

Full campaign spoilers
Like, in our campaign, we didn't unlock ghosts until the game told us to unlock everything we hadn't yet gotten, and our building to buy cats came out late and ended up on a sky tile. So it's possible we'll only have four minions available for purchase, and I kind of like that. Maybe you don't.

Peril seems like another thing. We had one player who hated her peril-cost building and built over it. I think we ended up with buildings that take blue, red, and purple peril, but not the others. By forcing all peril-cost buildings to exist on the board, you make it so they're all (roughly) equal. If you don't do that, you give some greater value than others, changing the mental calculations for when to do which actions. As above, I don't know that it's better to have that mismatch, only that it's different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.