Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: How does rating and timeout votes work with AI players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I know the app uses a standard rating system, but I was curious how it counts scores vs AI? In particular since a player can be replaced by an AI at any point. While an AI from the start might be a negligible opponent and not worth rating against, an opponent could hypothetically also drop 1 turn before round 6 ends.

For example, I've got a game that's running looooong. It's coming up on week 8. One opponent got timeout booted in round 3. My main opponent has hit the out of time boot option several times now. Having waited 2 months on this game, I don't plan to boot 5 turns from the end if he keep playing once a day like he has, but it made me curious on this. Most of the time you can tell you're gonna win/lose at least a few turns before actual game end, so what happens if someone drops/times out right before the ending, will the winner only get credit for facing an AI? In this game's case, if I miscounted something, what happens if he got replaced by an AI and then wins?

Tangent question, does the timeout votekick have to be unanimous? How does that work? 2 vote yes and 1 votes no? How do AI players count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Whomever gets replaced by AI finishes tied for last regardless of whatever in game score they get. I'd boot the player if he keeps going out of time for ranked games and they are not your friend(s). The ratings are then calculated in that manner. The ratings use a glicko-2 elo system. Only 1 of the players in a game is required to boot another.

I'll give my friends a little leeway in ranked games or if a player states something in the chat that they are having problems or need extra time, then I'll give them that.

In casual/friendly games the limit is 24hr, and I won't boot those players. Really... who needs friends like that!

So, if you ever get in a game with me, don't boot me. Is tibbles your name on there too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ooh, so if I did miscount and he'd win, I should totally boot.
I'm pretty sure I've got the win by like 5pts, but the AI in there could do something totally pointless for it's own interests, but would cost me the winning points. And I've seen it occasionally do said stupid move in solo games. (It's gonna have a bunch of workers left and nothing to build, so if it converts to coins and passes I'm fine, but sometimes the AI will start terraforming hexes it won't even use. If it takes one of the ones I need I lose a town.)

This late I won't, he plays daily, it's just I think the timezones don't align. One guy usually plays his turn about at my 3am and the other plays at about 5am, but he unfortunately goes first in turn order so it takes another full day cycle for the 3am player to get online and play and then I don't get on until 9am... But yeah, man it's frustrating playing half a turn a day average. I thought the games I played that took a month were long. If I decided to take as long as the rest of the players averaged I'd smash your 67 day record. We're at 55ish days now and expecting at least 5 more moves from everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well the AI didn't move in that 67 day game for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Phew, it's finally over. 63 days despite me playing most of mine in < 2 hours and 1 player replaced by an AI way back in round 3. SOOOO close to your record.

Pretty sure timezones just wrecked that game. The player I was waiting most on finished like 8 more games during our last 3 rounds, so he was playing frequently elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.