Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure this has been asked before, but I’ve searched and searched with no luck.

We just completed scenario 1 successfully. We’ve got not much gold and not enough XP to level up. Presumably there’s not much point going back to Gloomhaven?

The other option is the random side quest we unlocked. We could go there first? (Road events are only when leaving GH right?)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it'll usually take a few scenarios to level up. One reason to go to town at this point would be to pray at that church. If you have at least $10 combined, that's probably worth doing. Or skip it, save up, and do it more than once next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Alaska
msg tools
Going back to GH would allow you to:
-Make purchases - peruse the 0-14 store items to decide if it's worth it
-Draw a City event card

You must always draw a road event if the scenario you are currently in does not show a link to the area you want to visit. This is clearly stated in the rules, but I don't have the page handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Road events are required any time you travel to a scenario you wish to do in campaign mode UNLESS it is "linked" to your current location, in which case no Road Event is required (or even possible).

In order to see which scenario locations are linked to what, look at the top of the scenario page which you want to do, in small text to the right of the main scenario title.

Scenario 1 (Black Barrow, where you are currently located) is linked to Scenario 2 (and vice versa). That means you can do Scenario 2 without having to do a Road Event, since you are already at the Black Barrow.
However, if you choose to return to Gloomhaven, you would then have to do a Road Event in order to go to Scenario 2, since the Scenario 2 location is not linked to Gloomhaven itself.

Some scenarios are linked to Gloomhaven (pretty much any scenarios which are considered to take place within the city limits), in which case "Gloomhaven" is listed as a link on that scenario's page, though I'd guess your random scenario probably isn't (though I don't know all of the random scenarios).

But I know that the random scenario is NOT linked to Scenario 1 (where you are currently located), thus a Road Event would be required if you wanted to go directly from your current location to the random scenario (and most likely would be required if you returned to Gloomhaven and then went to the random scenario, unless the random scenario page specifically listed Gloomhaven as a link)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
I am sure this has been asked before, but I’ve searched and searched with no luck.

We just completed scenario 1 successfully. We’ve got not much gold and not enough XP to level up. Presumably there’s not much point going back to Gloomhaven?

City events can be quite good, but whatever you get from the city event will be balanced out by a road event (possibly) making scenario 2 harder.

Quote:
The other option is the random side quest we unlocked. We could go there first? (Road events are only when leaving GH right?)

Thanks

You could go there, but you'd have to go to Gloomhaven first. You can only go from scenario to scenario without returning to Gloomhaven when the scenarios say they're linked. (like 1 and 2 are) Then, you'd need to do a road event unless the new scenario is linked to Gloomhaven.

(this is incorrect, thanks others for clarifying.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
You could go there, but you'd have to go to Gloomhaven first. You can only go from scenario to scenario without returning to Gloomhaven when the scenarios say they're linked. (like 1 and 2 are) Then, you'd need to do a road event unless the new scenario is linked to Gloomhaven.

This is not correct. You can travel from one scenario location to another without visiting Gloomhaven if you choose. You would have to do a road event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Yeah, it'll usually take a few scenarios to level up. One reason to go to town at this point would be to pray at that church. If you have at least $10 combined, that's probably worth doing. Or skip it, save up, and do it more than once next time.

"$10 combined" does not help toward donating at the Sanctuary. Characters have their own gold amounts and cannot buy things for other characters. And donating to the Sanctuary only buys Bless cards (2) for the character who donates the gold, not for everyone.

Also, each character can only donate 10 gold once per visit to Gloomhaven (thus once per scenario done in Campaign mode, essentially).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the very clear replies.

One follow up: how do you tell if a scenario is linked or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Thanks for all the very clear replies.

One follow up: how do you tell if a scenario is linked or not?

In the scenario header it says Links: Barrow Lair #2 (or whatever it is linked to)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.