7 Posts

Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Guard? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♥Dust Pixie♥
msg tools
designer
Guard is another thing that's usually not worth its price in this game.
If you have block already, going to guard makes you about 5% harder to hit vs 2 smash, 2 fury, or 3 fury. It would be relevant about one out of twenty attacks on you. If you have dodge, going to guard improves your defense between 7%–11% depending on the attack.

I'm not saying never guard, Shadespire is a game of small margins. And if you can get both support and guard, it might be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Guard lasts for the whole phase, so if you're trying to stay alive until the end phase to score a big objective it can make a massive difference. Stack it with support and a few upgrades, or a ploy, and things just get better.

As with most things in the game, it will depend on your tactics, overall plan, and the current state of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The guard action is situational as you only get 12 activations, but there are other ways (ploys and upgrades) to put fighters in guard that can be very handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Guard is the best go to action when it isn't clear what to do.

This is like the people who say that on paper the reavers always lose.

Yeah. That's on paper.

Guard can easily turn the tide of the game at the right time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♥Dust Pixie♥
msg tools
designer
I've been guarding a lot but after looking at this I think I would spend the activations drawing more cards, in some (not all) of those situations. Sure, guard is an upgraded "pass" and since there's definitely some coldness in Shadespire (where you don't want to move, for example if you don't want to leave an objective), it's good to be aware that you can guard.

The reavers have been strong in our games. As Liberators, I tried an objective-grabbing strategy and that's just something the reavers can do better. If we avoid direct fighting with each other and try to go for points, they are more people and they will out-score you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snth wrote:
I've been guarding a lot but after looking at this I think I would spend the activations drawing more cards, in some (not all) of those situations. Sure, guard is an upgraded "pass" and since there's definitely some coldness in Shadespire (where you don't want to move, for example if you don't want to leave an objective), it's good to be aware that you can guard.

The reavers have been strong in our games. As Liberators, I tried an objective-grabbing strategy and that's just something the reavers can do better. If we avoid direct fighting with each other and try to go for points, they are more people and they will out-score you.

Interestingly, in my group, nobody had any success playing Reavers. I suspect they might have focused too much on attacking - when I build my Reaver's deck I'll try to go for more passive, objective-grabbing tactics.

On the other hand, maybe you didn't play fully efficiently against them?
Eternals are great for holding objectives, and if you win the first roll-off you can place the objectives deep in your territory and make the Reavers come for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see some of the decks for these games. I soundd changing only a few cards to suit play style end up making differences, I wonder if it's statistically significant when the same decks are used, and how much is to do with understanding the full set of options on a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.