Simple GBoH» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shock designation query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stevie K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi All

Firstly, I have to say that I do believe a similar thread to this has been posted before, however, it seemed to go off on a tangent and I couldn't really understand it.

So, having just completed our first sgboh battle ('Hydaspes'from Alexander), a significant rules query cropped up. To assist with the explanation I've posted a visual aid below:

In the above diagram, the two Indian elephant units have moved into contact with the Macedonians. Whereas in gboh, rule 8.32, the attacker is allowed to determine which units will be involved in each individual combat. So this, in effect, would allow the Indian player to use one elephant unit to engage the two Macedonian Hypaspist units (and no doubt face inevitable losses) just so the other elephant unit can attack the phalanx from the side (and gain a major advantage) - a bit gamey, I know.

However, according to the sgboh rules it is not clear to us whether this is still the procedure, or whether the attacker declares his attacking units and then the defender allocates his units to each shock combat accordingly. This feels better (and less gamey), but is it correct?

Many thanks in advance!

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
without consulting the rulebook I think the first case is how you would play this, i.e. any activated units must shock attack enemy in their ZOC and each defender can only be attacked once. Attacker chooses.

I don’t see this example as being that gamey - one set of elephants attacked the two units which freed up the other elephant to attack the side of the phalanx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
my worry with this is that it means only solid straight lines of troops are capable of not being flanked from the front easily...

so, no refused flanks , no attack in echelon, only a straight line of troops moving forwards directly towards the enemy line of troops...

this in turn means wider armies are going to get round the flank very easily due to there being no way to refuse a flank or cover a flank..

will certainly change the way the game plays for me...

in the example above... why did the elephant not just simply take 1mp to turn to face the unprotected flank of the other phalanx and simply attack each elephant against each phalanxs flank while virtually ignoring the hypaspists units who do not contribute anything as size doesn't matter against ele and their troop quality doesn't matter as elephants simply chose to attack the phalanx? if that is correct, then only way to cover flanks is to be a solid straight line... making he game very much move forwards in line as fast as possible to contact enemy as fast as possible and then loose with macedon as you beat a 2rp ele frontally while losing a phalanx worth 14rp each turn to a flank attack.....

urgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

hopefully this picture thingy worked... just playing...

would love a ruling on this so I can play out whichever interpretation is the correct one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
just need to find a way to make the picture bigger so text is readable....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Chubooga wrote:
just need to find a way to make the picture bigger so text is readable....

It's readable - anyone who wants to read it can click the image and view it in its original resolution. (You could have it display here in its original resolution as well, but I suspect users with limited bandwidth might prefer you didn't.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
thanks... so long as everyone can read it who wants too!

you any thoughts on which option is the correct interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Chubooga wrote:
thanks... so long as everyone can read it who wants too!

you any thoughts on which option is the correct interpretation?

Nope, I bought the earlier edition of SGBOH rules years ago, but have never read them. What experience I have (and it isn't extensive) is playing the full rule set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Chubooga wrote:
my worry with this is that it means only solid straight lines of troops are capable of not being flanked from the front easily...

so, no refused flanks , no attack in echelon, only a straight line of troops moving forwards directly towards the enemy line of troops...

this in turn means wider armies are going to get round the flank very easily due to there being no way to refuse a flank or cover a flank..

will certainly change the way the game plays for me...

in the example above... why did the elephant not just simply take 1mp to turn to face the unprotected flank of the other phalanx and simply attack each elephant against each phalanxs flank while virtually ignoring the hypaspists units who do not contribute anything as size doesn't matter against ele and their troop quality doesn't matter as elephants simply chose to attack the phalanx? if that is correct, then only way to cover flanks is to be a solid straight line... making he game very much move forwards in line as fast as possible to contact enemy as fast as possible and then loose with macedon as you beat a 2rp ele frontally while losing a phalanx worth 14rp each turn to a flank attack.....

urgh

Ok, I think the rules address your concerns if I have read them correctly.

There are additional rules determining which weapon DRM is being used - 7.35 - if a player has more than 1 unit in a shock attack then he selects the unit to use when determining the weapons systems modifier. If I am reading this correctly this means the defender in this case can use the hyspadist defending unit as the target rather than the outflanked phalanx. This would allow you to use these units to defend the flanks of the refused phalanx.

Also the troop quality does matter - you would use the troop quality of the unit selected to determine the weapon systems DRM.

Interested in whether other people are reading this the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.