Popular Tags: [View All]
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night's game on Hera's Garden of Hesperides resulted in this interesting situation:

Python (range 1) on a rock (+1 range & ignore obstacles) was able to strike an enemy unit over halfway across the map...primarily due to the weirdly shaped areas.

We imagined Python tying the end of his tail to the tree, springing out to bite, and retracting back to the rock...

Rules-wise, I think we played it correctly...but it sure did break the theme a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you are saying that a giant magic python monster that can stretch a distance broke the theme of a fantasy apocalyptic God filled World game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:
So you are saying that a giant magic python monster that can stretch a distance broke the theme of a fantasy apocalyptic God filled World game?

Lol. Relatively speaking. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually we’ve come across this a few times and though it’s not in the rules anywhere, we house decided that any ranged attacks (range 1+) would follow the line of site rule and draw a line to see how many spaces it needed.

Again it’s not officially anywhere, but it didn’t seems to over or underpower anyone as long as everyone was following the rule, and it got rid of weird trick shots like this one.

Strike this, see my updated comment below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might even be correct, after all you do draw Los between areas and the attack can be blocked by an obstacle in an intervening area, so shots must travel in a straight line, ergo, any interviening count as range.....maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:
Might even be correct, after all you do draw Los between areas and the attack can be blocked by an obstacle in an intervening area, so shots must travel in a straight line, ergo, any interviening count as range.....maybe?

Yeh that was kind of the mentality. Basically if you have to draw line of sight from symbol to symbol to see if there is a 3D obstacle, then the attack must be going that way and thus traveling through the same amount of spaces. But again yeh, not really addressed in the rule book.

So... after playing a few games last night and reading over the rulebook...

We decided that the rulebook (even though it’s counter intuitive) is written specifically that you check range counting spaces... and you check LoS using line to line from the area markers.

It’s weird, because you could totally count the range some round about way to a unit, but then be blocked by a tree in a totally different space because of the way you draw line of sight, but that’s how the rules are written so we conceded to that. (With the "thematic" idea being that even though you could throw a boomerang for instance around a spot because you have range, because your line of sight is blocked by a tree you couldnt see them to make the attack in the first place.)

Personally I would like it one way or the other (either you draw line of sight and range by drawing the line, or you count range and if there is an obstacle in between on that particular path it a blocked) but as written it’s hard to argue against them being two separate measurements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say I love the area/surroundings mechanic as a nice middleground between the tape measurement systems of something like Warhammer and the hexes/squares approach of something like Heroscape.

Other games have used areas (Dust, Deadzone) but the irregularness of the areas in MB: P adds a little more organic-ness to it.

Except for the really oddly shaped areas on some of the maps. This throws things off a bit for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
I will say I love the area/surroundings mechanic as a nice middleground between the tape measurement systems of something like Warhammer and the hexes/squares approach of something like Heroscape.

Other games have used areas (Dust, Deadzone) but the irregularness of the areas in MB: P adds a little more organic-ness to it.

Except for the really oddly shaped areas on some of the maps. This throws things off a bit for me.

Oh I agree! Yeh its just the curvy bits that make things awkward really. I prefer using the areas to count range... but yeh it makes it weird when you check for LoS and a unit or a tree standing in a completely different space blocks the attack. Most of the time its no big deal, but that Apple Tree map is sooooo currrvvyy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly like the idea of a magical rubber boa. Or maybe a teleporting boa? It makes the the theme more 'magical' and makes the whole mythology concept all the more exciting and makes the battles even more alive. haha!XD

If this was your average swords & sandals game where normal men are fighting each other, I agree it would have sucked and will break immersion.

But in a world where gods and monsters walk amongst men, throwing in some stuff that could only be explained by magic just fits. I'd rather have a stretchy boa any day than your same old average animal that you find in the wild. But that's just me. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.