Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scenario 2 - Living Corpses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dallan Christenson
United States
Porterville
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game only comes with 6 Living Corpses. If the Bandit Commander were to open all the doors (or even 3), there wouldn't be enough standees (only comes with 6). Is this correct? Or is it assumed that some Living Corpses would have been destroyed before the latter doors are opened, thus recycling the uses of the prior used standees?

What happens if the third door is opened and not all living corpses were destroyed? (Not enough standees?)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dallanc wrote:
What happens if the third door is opened and not all living corpses were destroyed? (Not enough standees?)


Rulebook, pg 19 wrote:
It is possible to run out of specific types of monster standees when revealing a room. If this happens, place only the standees that are available, starting with the monsters closest to the revealing character.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallan Christenson
United States
Porterville
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I could not find that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
The only time I didn't see someone running out of living corpses on that scenario was when playing with 2 players, 3 or 4 players always seen to run out of them. They also take forever to get to you after the boss opens the doors and the boss has a tendency to just jump around like a maniac and not realy do you much harm even after opening all doors, I seriously think this scenario is the worst in the whole game, lukly its the only scenario so far (ive played some 25 or so scenarios already) Id say is bad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosen
msg tools
DakonBlackblade wrote:
The only time I didn't see someone running out of living corpses on that scenario was when playing with 2 players, 3 or 4 players always seen to run out of them. They also take forever to get to you after the boss opens the doors and the boss has a tendency to just jump around like a maniac and not realy do you much harm even after opening all doors, I seriously think this scenario is the worst in the whole game, lukly its the only scenario so far (ive played some 25 or so scenarios already) Id say is bad.


I have to say my party’s experience was much different. The boss combined opening doors with summoning and attacks and made the scenario very enjoyable and believable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr55 wrote:

I have to say my party’s experience was much different. The boss combined opening doors with summoning and attacks and made the scenario very enjoyable and believable.


Same here. The boss only got to open two doors in our setup. But Brute, Tinkerer, Scoundrel and Spellweaver seem to beat most scenarios that allow the brute force approach (and sometimes even those that don't.)

Edit: Fixed accidental spoiler.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Dr55 wrote:
DakonBlackblade wrote:
The only time I didn't see someone running out of living corpses on that scenario was when playing with 2 players, 3 or 4 players always seen to run out of them. They also take forever to get to you after the boss opens the doors and the boss has a tendency to just jump around like a maniac and not realy do you much harm even after opening all doors, I seriously think this scenario is the worst in the whole game, lukly its the only scenario so far (ive played some 25 or so scenarios already) Id say is bad.


I have to say my party’s experience was much different. The boss combined opening doors with summoning and attacks and made the scenario very enjoyable and believable.


Ive played this scenario solo controlling 3 dudes, on a 4 players party and on a two players party. All 3 times hed jump around like a monkey for like 60% of his actions. ON the 4 players party it got to a point it frustrated us to no end cause we had to keep chasing the boss around and we were runing out of cards to move, so we just stuck at the next door he was gona jump and blasted him once he landed there. Guess Im just unlucky and I get a lot of special 1s on this scenario. The thing is even if this doesn't happen everytime, there is a possibility it will happen (kinda high one since there are 3 special 1s card in a 8 card boss deck), and when it does the scenario becomes rather dumb, specialy because the living corpses, when revealed, take 3-4 turns to even become a threat and you can safelly ignore them and deal with wharever else you were dealling with till then.

DeS_Tructive wrote:

Same here. The boss only got to open two doors in our setup. But Brute, Tinkerer, Scoundrel and Elementalist seem to beat most scenarios that allow the brute force approach (and sometimes even those that don't.)


How did you have an Elementalist at scenario 2 ? Did you mean Spellweaver ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakonBlackblade wrote:
Dr55 wrote:
DakonBlackblade wrote:
The only time I didn't see someone running out of living corpses on that scenario was when playing with 2 players, 3 or 4 players always seen to run out of them. They also take forever to get to you after the boss opens the doors and the boss has a tendency to just jump around like a maniac and not realy do you much harm even after opening all doors, I seriously think this scenario is the worst in the whole game, lukly its the only scenario so far (ive played some 25 or so scenarios already) Id say is bad.


I have to say my party’s experience was much different. The boss combined opening doors with summoning and attacks and made the scenario very enjoyable and believable.


Ive played this scenario solo controlling 3 dudes, on a 4 players party and on a two players party. All 3 times hed jump around like a monkey for like 60% of his actions. ON the 4 players party it got to a point it frustrated us to no end cause we had to keep chasing the boss around amd we were runing out of cards to move, so we just stuck at the next door he was gona jump and blasted him once he landed there. Guess Im just unlucky and I get a lot of special 1s on this scenario. The thing is even if this doesn't happen everytime, there is a possibility it will happen (kinda high one since there are 3 special 1s card in a 8 card boss deck), and when it does the scenario becomes rather dumb, specialy because the living corpses, when revealed, take 3-4 turns to even become a threat and you can safelly ignore them and deal with wharever else you were dealling with till then.

DeS_Tructive wrote:

Same here. The boss only got to open two doors in our setup. But Brute, Tinkerer, Scoundrel and Elementalist seem to beat most scenarios that allow the brute force approach (and sometimes even those that don't.)


How did you have an Elementalist at scenario 2 ? Did you mean Spellweaver ?


He does jump around a lot, of course it does depend on your shuffling.

But realizing that he's going to jump and changing your strategy instead of chasing endlessly sounds like a good scenario to me. The first time I played this scenario I just went and waited for him at door 1 where I did the majority of my damage to him. Since you know exactly where he is going to jump to it's not that bad imo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
saluk wrote:

He does jump around a lot, of course it does depend on your shuffling.

But realizing that he's going to jump and changing your strategy instead of chasing endlessly sounds like a good scenario to me. The first time I played this scenario I just went and waited for him at door 1 where I did the majority of my damage to him. Since you know exactly where he is going to jump to it's not that bad imo.


It realy doesn't, wed have killed him anyway, we were never in any danger, it was just anoying that we were depending on luck to do more than a couple of hits on him (other than our brute who had the extra move boots and would hit almost always and the spellweaver sititng in the middle of the room +/-), so we just resigned to the fact it was probably just as efficient to sit and wait and hope hed jump, than chasing and hoping he would not jump. As I siad I love the game and I think all scenarios are awesome, all but this one, where the boss has the potential to spend the entire fight jumping and not actualy trying to kill the characters.

Special 2 is also rather meh mind you, it would be threatening if he had any allies to suport him but as I said the living corpses take multiple turns to even become a potential threat and as special 2 is always super fast he summons the bones and we promptly murder it on the spot before it ever gets a turn. Special 2 would be interesting if combined with more boss allies and a less useless Special 1 imo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DakonBlackblade wrote:
other than our brute who had the extra move boots and would hit almost always

You do realize that the boots only grant their bonus once and then are spent, right? and can only be used again after a long rest (or other action that refreshes spent items)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
DakonBlackblade wrote:
other than our brute who had the extra move boots and would hit almost always

You do realize that the boots only grant their bonus once and then are spent, right? and can only be used again after a long rest (or other action that refreshes spent items)


Ye, but he is a Brute with move boots, he goes places man. On the rare case he cant move a lot he has the boots to move a lot. And long rest was the norm since no one cared with wasting a turn as the boss was likely to just jump again.

Killing blow was the brute using Skewer to move 6, activiating the boots and then hitting the boss for 8 with Balanced Measure btw (after he had already hit the boss for 6 before his long rest doing the same thign but using Grab and Go + boots to move 6).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DakonBlackblade wrote:

How did you have an Elementalist at scenario 2 ? Did you mean Spellweaver ?


Yeah. My bad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallan Christenson
United States
Porterville
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DakonBlackblade wrote:
The only time I didn't see someone running out of living corpses on that scenario was when playing with 2 players, 3 or 4 players always seen to run out of them. They also take forever to get to you after the boss opens the doors and the boss has a tendency to just jump around like a maniac and not realy do you much harm even after opening all doors, I seriously think this scenario is the worst in the whole game, lukly its the only scenario so far (ive played some 25 or so scenarios already) Id say is bad.


Played through the scenario and won it the first time through. Boss only opened 2 doors, so we didn't run out of standees (we are in a 3-player campaign). We all got rather fortunate with our draw of the cards and took out the boss relatively early.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.