Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting for a sale that makes Agricola my next purchase . Actually, it's on sale a lot but it's the Shipping that bringz it over what I'm willing to pay. I been looking at usd ones and contemplating an earlier version but everyone thinks they should cost more.

I had the thought of finding one in a used condition I could live with and/or missing or no Meeples/tokens. I want to make tokens so maybe I can come across a game without to much trouble.

Here's my question for all you Farmers out there: I will be playing 99% of the time Solo. Taking that into consideration and that tokens are missing, how many would I nedd to make? (With the likelihood of running out almost none)

Now for that 1% when I have an opponent or I play 2 Familys (or Automa if one)?

* I should say I do know there's 5 Family Members and 5 Player Colors. So I will need 5 -choose color- "family mdmbers" per hand. In my question, I confused pieces, tokens, meeples. Is a Meeple only a character? What about animals?

So I'm looking for the # of everything except the People.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For solo play, Revised doesn't feel like it comes with enough Reed or Stone for that, and that's harder to find additional components for (Reed is thinner than the Mayday Reed/Rice and Stone is black). I ended up replacing the reed and stone with the Meeple Source premium resources (Coal for stone). Just thought to mention as someone that did play a solo game on Revised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben bever
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mb
Every player gets 5 meeples (farmers), 4 stables (little houses) and 15 fences (sticks). There are 4 colours for up to 4 players. The original game supported 5 players. The revised version has a 5-6 player expansion.

Furthermore there are:
18 wooden sheep
15 black wild boars
13 brown cows
30 pieces of wood
24 pieces of clay
14 pieces of reed
16 pieces of stone
24 grain
16 pumpkins
and 1 cheap looking starter pawn.

Furthermore there's a lot of cardboard pieces for the playing board
39 tiles for fields and rooms
57 fiches in total
120 cards
1 score notepad

The wooden pieces tend to run out, especially in a 4 player game. You're supposed to use placeholders. There's 1 4-sheep piece of cardboard to replace 4 wooden sheep, but it's sometimes not enough. in our game we ended up with using reed as sheep and stone as pigs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with the multiplier chits, it seemed that I was running out of Stone and Reed pretty quickly in a Solo game. Which...is to be expected of the Reed since you only get 14 tokens and 1 5x multiplier. As for the 5-6 Extension, it adds 10 Wood and 3 cows (as well as the player pieces needed to add 5 and 6 players (light green and golden yellow), as well as a bunch of Occupations for 5+ (almost enough to be its own deck, also the first time you see 'hard' and 'expert' complexity cards (C and D, Easy and Medium complexity are now A and B)) and another take on the L deck (More Scottish themed thanks to Isle of Skye being a 'surprise' Kennerspiele winner).

Out of those, immediately find a way to bolster the numbers for your Reed and Stone, followed by Vegetables and Grain (Someone ran out of grain in a game). No real way to get exact addons for any of those, so replacing may be in order. I still stand by Meeplesource for at least the stone, though you can get Reed and Grain replacements from Mayday and the Veggies from Spielematerial. No real need to go for replacements for Wood or Cows as the 5-6 will add more Wood and Cows (As well as more multiplier tokens) unless if you don't plan on getting that. Unlike in Agricola classic, the iconography is highly tied to the components instead of being a symbol on a circle, so if not having 'close' to the symbols will bother you, then you have to be picky with upgrading or bolstering component #s (such as using Carrots for your veggies rather than Pumpkins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't seem to follow though. It sounds like most run out of 1 or many types of resource, (grain, read, Stone, etc.. )

And where I'm confused is it happens playing multi player and solo.
When playing solo wouldn't there be 3x the amount of tokens left over? Or when playing solo are all of the resources used?

I don't have game yet so that's why I'm questioning what amount are used for a single player. I want to make some realistic tokens but only enough for 1 player. There's no way I would make a full games worth, that's just too much to do. So if 1 player utilizes the same amount as 4 players, maybe I addon a set of those colored farmer mini expansions and be happy with the regular wood tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience you would need at least 16 wood, 16 Clay, more than 14 (20?) Reed, and more than 16 Stone (20?), with the standard amount for Sheep, Boar/Pigs, Cows, Veggies, and Grain for a solo game. You can just get the Euro Token set from Mayday games if you're fine with the resources not matching the cards' iconography. Any Yellow pawn will do for the first player marker as long as it is pure yellow, but it's not needed if you are going to mainly play Agricola solo. You would need at least 15 tokens for food (3 food is required per harvest in a solo game, but you'll be safe with 20).

Though, will say that the pawn that comes with Revised is better than the original First Player Marker (just a cylinder), the 'cheap' looking Joystick pawns, and the even cheaper looking pawns that come in Cardinal Games that require pawns. As well as a better first player marker than the one that comes in Ex Libris (a plastic version of those glass gems in floral sections)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
In my experience you would need at least 16 wood, 16 Clay, more than 14 (20?) Reed, and more than 16 Stone (20?), with the standard amount for Sheep, Boar/Pigs, Cows, Veggies, and Grain for a solo game. You can just get the Euro Token set from Mayday games if you're fine with the resources not matching the cards' iconography. Any Yellow pawn will do for the first player marker as long as it is pure yellow, but it's not needed if you are going to mainly play Agricola solo. You would need at least 15 tokens for food (3 food is required per harvest in a solo game, but you'll be safe with 20).

Though, will say that the pawn that comes with Revised is better than the original First Player Marker (just a cylinder), the 'cheap' looking Joystick pawns, and the even cheaper looking pawns that come in Cardinal Games that require pawns. As well as a better first player marker than the one that comes in Ex Libris (a plastic version of those glass gems in floral sections)

Thanks Matthew. I think this will be one of my main goto games just not one I pimp out.
There are just so many components. The wooden ones will do. I dont think I could make that many. They're small enough so the clay won't be too costly but the time and repetition, I may not get through it. And having them made, would makd it a very expensive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your best bet for a solo set is the Euro tokens I mentioned from Mayday, you can substitute the Bread, Fish, and Meat for the food tokens if need be. And trust me when I say that there's games with MORE tokens out there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.