Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now finished my initial read-through of the Fearsome Foes rules, and there were a few things that weren't clear to me.

Ghoul

1) The player board says that the Ghoul must "gain enough Fury to reach [his] goal, then escape the Cave". However, under "Fury" in the rules, it says that "You win if you have fury equal to [your goal] and then you escape the Cave".

Does this work like the Dragon's wakefulness, where the ghoul becomes eligible to leave once he "hits" his goal (even if subsequent effects, such as soporific spores, reduce his Fury back below the target number)? Or does the Ghoul have to be at or above his target number at the moment he tries to leave?

2) Can the cave target the ghoul with bats? There's nothing saying that it can, but I figured I'd check.

Vile Ghoul

I'm not at all clear on how spending boost dice works. Specifically, what bonus do you gain when you "spend" a boost die?
-Do you gain the bonus listed in the die's row? (E.g. would spending a "4" boost die add 4 movement and 2 attack?)
-Do you gain a single point of either movement or attack per die spent?
-Do you gain a number of points equal to the face value of the die? If so, can you split this between movement and attack, or do you have to assign the entire value to one stat at the time you choose to spend it? (E.g. if spending a "4" boost die, could I put three points in attack and one in movement?)

Ghost

Possessed knight: If, during a possession turn, the ghost causes the knight to do something that would fulfill one of the knight's sidequests, may the knight choose to reveal and complete that sidequest?

Possessed goblins: I want to check if I'm understanding the rules here correctly. It seems like the intent is that when possessed, a goblin tribe has a "virtual" population equal to the ghost's Influence. When moving out of lit squares, the tribe would lose population from this "virtual" number, but doesn't actually remove any population discs. (So e.g. if the ghost had an influence of 3 and the tribe moved out of 2 lit spaces before attacking, it would be attacking with a "virtual" population of 2.) What about if the ghost does something with the tribe that causes it to scatter? Does it then lose actual population discs, or only "virtual" population?

Cave Ghost

The rules entry for "Hatred" says that "During the collapse, tiles you wish to remove with Hatred still follow the normal requirement based on the number of tiles they touch, while also needing to be in a surrounding space." Does this mean that:
-(a) Of the tiles surrounding the ghost, the ghost must choose to collapse one touching the fewest other tiles; or
-(b) Like the cave, the ghost can only collapse a tile that is touching the fewest other tiles on the entire map, but must first travel close enough to it that it is in a space surrounding the ghost. If the ghost cannot get close enough to one of these tiles, it cannot use hatred. (E.g. let's say there's a single tile on the far side of the map that is only touching one other tile. All tiles surrounding the ghost are touching at least two other tiles. Can the ghost use hatred to collapse one of the tiles surrounding it right now, or does it have to travel over next to the tile that is only touching one other tile and collapse that first?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Azilut wrote:
I've now finished my initial read-through of the Fearsome Foes rules, and there were a few things that weren't clear to me.

Ghoul

1) The player board says that the Ghoul must "gain enough Fury to reach [his] goal, then escape the Cave". However, under "Fury" in the rules, it says that "You win if you have fury equal to [your goal] and then you escape the Cave".

Does this work like the Dragon's wakefulness, where the ghoul becomes eligible to leave once he "hits" his goal (even if subsequent effects, such as soporific spores, reduce his Fury back below the target number)? Or does the Ghoul have to be at or above his target number at the moment he tries to leave?
It's similar to the Dragon - once you've hit the amount that allows you to escape, losing Fury (or Wakefulness) will not prevent you from leaving.

Quote:
2) Can the cave target the ghoul with bats? There's nothing saying that it can, but I figured I'd check.

No, bats don't affect the Ghoul.

Quote:
Vile Ghoul

I'm not at all clear on how spending boost dice works. Specifically, what bonus do you gain when you "spend" a boost die?
-Do you gain the bonus listed in the die's row? (E.g. would spending a "4" boost die add 4 movement and 2 attack?)
-Do you gain a single point of either movement or attack per die spent?
-Do you gain a number of points equal to the face value of the die? If so, can you split this between movement and attack, or do you have to assign the entire value to one stat at the time you choose to spend it? (E.g. if spending a "4" boost die, could I put three points in attack and one in movement?)
Each boost die is a single extra point that you can spend to increase Movement or Attack (the value on the die and the stats in the chart don't matter). You can "spend" each point only once per turn, but the die remains there until you reset all three.

In the rare case you rolled the same on all three dice, on the second turn you'll have 1 boost to add, and on the third turn you get to add that plus the second die for a total of 2 extra points.

Quote:
Ghost

Possessed knight: If, during a possession turn, the ghost causes the knight to do something that would fulfill one of the knight's sidequests, may the knight choose to reveal and complete that sidequest?
If the conditions for a side quest are met during a possession turn, the Knight player may choose to reveal the card and gain the bonus.

Quote:
Possessed goblins: I want to check if I'm understanding the rules here correctly. It seems like the intent is that when possessed, a goblin tribe has a "virtual" population equal to the ghost's Influence. When moving out of lit squares, the tribe would lose population from this "virtual" number, but doesn't actually remove any population discs. (So e.g. if the ghost had an influence of 3 and the tribe moved out of 2 lit spaces before attacking, it would be attacking with a "virtual" population of 2.) What about if the ghost does something with the tribe that causes it to scatter? Does it then lose actual population discs, or only "virtual" population?
If the Tribe scatters it loses population like normal, with the exception that it doesn't lose any monster it might have.

The "virtual population" rule only applies to movement, so the Ghost can't burn off population just by running them around in circles on lit tiles.

Quote:
Cave Ghost

The rules entry for "Hatred" says that "During the collapse, tiles you wish to remove with Hatred still follow the normal requirement based on the number of tiles they touch, while also needing to be in a surrounding space." Does this mean that:
-(a) Of the tiles surrounding the ghost, the ghost must choose to collapse one touching the fewest other tiles; or
-(b) Like the cave, the ghost can only collapse a tile that is touching the fewest other tiles on the entire map, but must first travel close enough to it that it is in a space surrounding the ghost. If the ghost cannot get close enough to one of these tiles, it cannot use hatred. (E.g. let's say there's a single tile on the far side of the map that is only touching one other tile. All tiles surrounding the ghost are touching at least two other tiles. Can the ghost use hatred to collapse one of the tiles surrounding it right now, or does it have to travel over next to the tile that is only touching one other tile and collapse that first?)
The second (b) is correct. It follows all of the standard Cave rules for removing those tiles, with the added rule that the Cave Ghost must be nearby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Krindle
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks Kyle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bagley
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rules regarding the Vile Ghoul were not very clear. There is no mention in the rulebook about what qualifies a die to be used as a boost die (i.e. it must be in the same row as the die you chose for the turn), which seems like a HUGE oversight for the rulebook.

Second, the fact that the die chart has a space to the right of every spot suggests to me that the position of the die before you move it "to the right of the chart" matters, but nowhere does the rulebook explain how much a bonus die provides as a bonus. There is the VERY subtle "a movement or attack bonus", where "a" could mean one, but in context it may only mean singular as far as the die is concerned, not the bonus itself.

I haven't looked through the rest of them, yet. I'm glad someone else asked the question I never would have thought of concerning the Ghoul's victory condition. Why wasn't that listed on their rules like it is for the Dragon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
retupmoc258 wrote:
Yes, the rules regarding the Vile Ghoul were not very clear. There is no mention in the rulebook about what qualifies a die to be used as a boost die (i.e. it must be in the same row as the die you chose for the turn), which seems like a HUGE oversight for the rulebook.

Second, the fact that the die chart has a space to the right of every spot suggests to me that the position of the die before you move it "to the right of the chart" matters...
This line from the rulebook under "Select Statistics" defines them by referring to the dice already in the selected row (highlight added):
Vile Ghoul wrote:
The selected row lists your Movement
and Attack for this turn. Any dice on the
right side of the selected row are Boost
dice, which you can spend during the
Move and Act phase of this turn.

In the section prior it says to slide the dice already in the chart over to the right of the same row, so the position does matter.

Quote:
..., but nowhere does the rulebook explain how much a bonus die provides as a bonus. There is the VERY subtle "a movement or attack bonus", where "a" could mean one, but in context it may only mean singular as far as the die is concerned, not the bonus itself.
This I agree with, and know exactly when the issue occurred.

Through the majority of development we were using a generic "Action Points" label for what the chart does, and originally instead of just saying "Boost Dice" on the player board it showed "+1 AP". When the AP term was dropped and changed to be called Boost Dice, that full definition of how much they provided didn't get carried back into the rulebook along with it.

This will be added to the FAQ, but until the next update comes out, here's the definitive answer on Boost Dice:

-Each Boost Die on the right side of a row adds one (1) extra point to the stats when a new die is placed on the left side of the same row.
-The Boost Die can be spent to increase total Movement by 1 or to increase a single Attack by 1.
-Multiple Boost Dice in the same row stack, so if the third die is placed on the left side of a row with two Boost Dice already on the right, you get a total of two (2) extra points to spend on Movement or Attack.

Quote:
I haven't looked through the rest of them, yet. I'm glad someone else asked the question I never would have thought of concerning the Ghoul's victory condition. Why wasn't that listed on their rules like it is for the Dragon?
I'll make sure to note it in the FAQ, but honestly can't recall it ever being relevant for the Ghoul at any point during development. With the Dragon there's a discrete gap of at least one full round (often more) between when he wakes up and when he can actually reach the exit, so there are a lot more opportunities for other players to go after him, but with the Ghoul's ability to Skitter after an attack and to burn Terror cards for large bonuses, you can often escape on the same turn you reach your goal, or at most on your very next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bagley
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
retupmoc258 wrote:

Second, the fact that the die chart has a space to the right of every spot suggests to me that the position of the die before you move it "to the right of the chart" matters...
This line from the rulebook under "Select Statistics" defines them by referring to the dice already in the selected row (highlight added):
Vile Ghoul wrote:
The selected row lists your Movement
and Attack for this turn. Any dice on the
right side of the selected row are Boost
dice, which you can spend during the
Move and Act phase of this turn.

In the section prior it says to slide the dice already in the chart over to the right of the same row, so the position does matter.

Looks like I missed the "row" part, but thanks for the clarification.

I'm glad you'll be fixing this for the next printing. Usually I'm a lot more careful in my rule-reading. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.