kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
How much do we pay attention to board game awards? How much do those awards influence our decisions about what to play and what to buy?

Poll
How much do game awards influence us?
Which of these awards, if bestowed upon a game, is likely to positively impact your decision to purchase that game?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Cardboard Republic
0.4% 1
Dice Tower
27.9% 63
Deutscher Spielepreis (DSP)
26.1% 59
Games Magazine / Games 100
4.9% 11
Golden Elephant
13.7% 31
Golden Geek
33.6% 76
Gouden Ludo
1.8% 4
International Gamers Award
13.3% 30
Meeples Choice
7.5% 17
Mensa Select
9.7% 22
Origins Awards
10.6% 24
South by Southwest (SXSW)
0.0% 0
Spiel des Jahres
67.3% 152
Spiel der Spiele (Austria)
3.5% 8
Swiss Gamers Award
0.9% 2
Tric Trac
4.0% 9
UK Games Expo
4.9% 11
Vuoden Peli (Finland)
0.9% 2
A different award not listed here
7.5% 17
None of these. I am not influenced by awards.
27.4% 62
Voters 226
Which of these awards, if bestowed upon a game, is MOST LIKELY OF ALL to positively impact your decision to purchase that game?
Cardboard Republic
0.4% 1
Dice Tower
4.9% 11
9.4% 21
0.0% 0
Golden Elephant
5.4% 12
Golden Geek
6.2% 14
Gouden Ludo
0.0% 0
1.8% 4
Meeples Choice
0.4% 1
Mensa Select
1.3% 3
Origins Awards
0.0% 0
0.0% 0
Spiel des Jahres
43.3% 97
0.0% 0
Swiss Gamers Award
0.0% 0
Tric Trac
0.0% 0
UK Games Expo
0.0% 0
Vuoden Peli (Finland)
0.0% 0
A different award not listed here
3.1% 7
Like I said, I am not influenced by awards.
23.7% 53
Voters 224
Which of these awards are you familiar with? Which have you noticed before, heard mentioned, read about, etc., regardless of whether you hold the award in high regard?
Cardboard Republic
2.6% 6
Dice Tower
90.9% 209
54.8% 126
48.3% 111
Golden Elephant
32.2% 74
Golden Geek
92.6% 213
Gouden Ludo
10.0% 23
35.2% 81
Meeples Choice
41.3% 95
Mensa Select
87.0% 200
Origins Awards
51.7% 119
7.4% 17
Spiel des Jahres
97.8% 225
20.4% 47
Swiss Gamers Award
6.1% 14
Tric Trac
22.2% 51
UK Games Expo
29.1% 67
Vuoden Peli (Finland)
3.0% 7
A different award that should have been listed here
8.7% 20
None of these awards is familiar to me
0.4% 1
Voters 230
An award that matters to you is bestowed upon a game. How soon do you find out about it?
The same day
7.4% 17
Within a week
26.4% 61
Within a month
19.9% 46
It could take a year or longer
24.2% 56
I don't pay attention to awards / I will never find out
22.1% 51
Voters 231
How is the news likely to come to you that a given game has been awarded with an honor that you respect?
BGG tells me through forums/blogs/announcements
74.9% 173
Through searching the news
9.1% 21
Through Google Alerts or an RSS feed I specifically set up for news about awards
0.4% 1
Through a newsletter put out by the awarding organization
2.6% 6
I hear about it on a podcast
23.8% 55
Through gamer friends
17.3% 40
From game magazines/hobby publications
4.8% 11
I find out when I see the award printed on the game box
38.5% 89
Some other way
10.0% 23
I don't care about awards / I will never find out
10.8% 25
Voters 231
You're standing in a game store trying to decide between two different games. Which of these is more likely to tip the scales for you in favor of buying one game over the other?
Excellent cover art
36.4% 79
An award from an organization I respect
63.6% 138
Voters 217
Now you're standing in a bigger game store trying to decide between four different games. Each game contains just one of the elements below to the exclusion of all the others. The game you walk out with is the one with...
Excellent cover art
1.3% 3
An award from an organization I respect
2.2% 5
A designer I like
28.4% 65
Positive reviews from reviewers I trust
68.1% 156
Voters 229
You're at a games group and you see a pile of unfamiliar games on the table. Some of their covers bear award symbols and some of them don't. The owner walks up and offers to teach any of them to you. Do the awards influence your decision about which games you will spend the next couple of hours with?
Yes, I'm more likely choose to learn a game that has received an award.
23.2% 53
Yes, I really dislike awards and I'll actively avoid a game that has won an award.
0.0% 0
No, I don't care enough about the awards for them to outweigh the other things I can see about the games at a glance.
76.8% 175
Voters 228
What makes for the best process in the bestowing of an award on a game?
The public votes online or by mail; voting is effectively cost-free and open to anyone
19.8% 39
The public votes at a paid game convention or behind some other paywall; only those who have invested money in the hobby may vote
3.6% 7
A publicly elected board of voters makes the decision
15.7% 31
An appointed board of voters makes the decision
39.6% 78
Something else
21.3% 42
Voters 197
This poll is now closed.   233 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 am

If you enjoy these polls, you can subscribe to the TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Now get busy telling me what obvious awards I missed in this poll.

Poll
Would you have voted for As d'Or (Golden Ace, a French gaming award) had it been included in the poll?
Yes, I would have checked the box to indicate familiarity with it, but that award does not influence me at all.
9.0% 14
Yes, because I'm familiar with it and respect it, although it's not my favorite award.
4.5% 7
Yes, and it is the most important one for me.
0.0% 0
No, I was unfamiliar with As d'Or.
86.5% 134
Voters 155
This poll is now closed.   155 answers

Supplementary Overall Poll:
Starting off with the awards TGIF respondents have kindly pointed out were missing from the original poll and continuing with the original list in reverse alphabetical order, let's rank these awards. Please only choose ONE award as "Highest Regard." This is the accolade you respect above all others. "Dislike" indicates that you tend to actively avoid games so awarded. If you don't care about awards, the choice for you is "Meh" UNLESS you are unfamiliar with the award, in which case you should choose "Never heard of it." #2 pencils ready, and...
Poll
Rank these awards, selecting only ONE award (if any) as "Highest Regard."
  Highest Regard Respect Meh Dislike - I actively avoid games that have won this award Never heard of it Vote Count
Nederlandse Spellenprijs (Dutch Game Award) 0.0% (0) 10.8% (4) 8.1% (3) 0.0% (0) 81.1% (30) 37
Jogo do Ano 0.0% (0) 13.5% (5) 8.1% (3) 2.7% (1) 75.7% (28) 37
Fairplay A La Carte 2.7% (1) 8.1% (3) 13.5% (5) 0.0% (0) 75.7% (28) 37
Diana Jones Award 0.0% (0) 10.8% (4) 18.9% (7) 0.0% (0) 70.3% (26) 37
Counter Magazine Hall of Fame 2.8% (1) 11.1% (4) 16.7% (6) 0.0% (0) 69.4% (25) 36
Charles S. Roberts 5.4% (2) 18.9% (7) 13.5% (5) 5.4% (2) 56.8% (21) 37
As d'Or 0.0% (0) 15.8% (6) 15.8% (6) 0.0% (0) 68.4% (26) 38
Vuoden Peli (Finland) 0.0% (0) 5.9% (2) 5.9% (2) 0.0% (0) 88.2% (30) 34
UK Games Expo 0.0% (0) 10.8% (4) 35.1% (13) 0.0% (0) 54.1% (20) 37
Tric Trac 0.0% (0) 18.4% (7) 21.1% (8) 0.0% (0) 60.5% (23) 38
Swiss Gamers Award 0.0% (0) 7.9% (3) 5.3% (2) 0.0% (0) 86.8% (33) 38
Spiel der Spiele (Austria) 0.0% (0) 10.5% (4) 15.8% (6) 0.0% (0) 73.7% (28) 38
Spiel des Jahres 40.0% (16) 50.0% (20) 5.0% (2) 5.0% (2) 0.0% (0) 40
South by Southwest (SXSW) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 31.4% (11) 2.9% (1) 65.7% (23) 35
Origins Awards 0.0% (0) 24.3% (9) 29.7% (11) 13.5% (5) 32.4% (12) 37
Mensa Select 0.0% (0) 21.1% (8) 39.5% (15) 34.2% (13) 5.3% (2) 38
Meeples Choice 0.0% (0) 16.2% (6) 32.4% (12) 2.7% (1) 48.6% (18) 37
International Gamers Award 2.7% (1) 27.0% (10) 21.6% (8) 0.0% (0) 48.6% (18) 37
Gouden Ludo 0.0% (0) 8.1% (3) 18.9% (7) 0.0% (0) 73.0% (27) 37
Golden Geek 7.7% (3) 48.7% (19) 28.2% (11) 12.8% (5) 2.6% (1) 39
Golden Elephant 5.4% (2) 18.9% (7) 13.5% (5) 2.7% (1) 59.5% (22) 37
Games Magazine / Games 100 0.0% (0) 22.2% (8) 36.1% (13) 5.6% (2) 36.1% (13) 36
Deutscher Spielepreis (DSP) 13.2% (5) 21.1% (8) 13.2% (5) 2.6% (1) 50.0% (19) 38
Dice Tower 0.0% (0) 42.1% (16) 34.2% (13) 21.1% (8) 2.6% (1) 38
Cardboard Republic 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 8.1% (3) 2.7% (1) 89.2% (33) 37
Total Voters 40
This poll is now closed.   40 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
As d'Or is a big one I was expecting to see here.
Dixit IIRC won it at the start of becoming a big hit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_d%27Or
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
No answer in the first poll describes my situation. None of the awards is likely to positively impact my decision to purchase a game, but some of them are likely to cause me to seek more information about a game. I did publish a GeekList called Spiel des Jahres winners I've played exactly once---and hope it stays that way, but I still try to learn something about every SdJ winner, and I try the ones for which it seems there will be a good chance I'll like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't think I would personally have a more positive opinion of a game if it got an award. However, an awarded game probably has significant widespread appeal, and so may still positively influence my decision to buy it because I think I could get it played more/it might serve better as a tool to get people into the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the few awards I'm aware of is the Nederlandse Spellenprijs (Dutch Game Award). The winner usualy is an ok game, the nominees usualy are not. It's like buying a nomination is the last desperate marketing tool for a lot of lousy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not particularly interested in awards so am not going to answer the poll questions. But I often like the game chosen for Portuguese Game of the Year. They are at least targeting the heavier games that I like even if their preferences do not exactly match mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only other award I pay attention to beyond the SdJ is the Diana Jones Award. I find their recognition to be an excellent compromise between "innovation, artistic merit, commercial success, cultural significance, [and] longevity".

https://boardgamegeek.com/award/8571/diana-jones-award-excel...
http://www.dianajonesaward.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep it going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For wargamers, the "Charlies" (e.g. "Charles S. Roberts Awards") used to be pretty important, but they stopped formally awarding them in 2012. I'd love to see those awards revived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly I was with the majority for all categories except which awards I care about. The only two awards that I put any real stock in are:

Golden Elephant
Jogo do Ano

the latter not appearing on your list. I think looking back at the past winners, Golden Elephant lines up more often for me and so is my favorite. And for Jogo do Ano I think I'm more likely to pay attention to a nominee than a winner, it seems they always pick the best games of the year in their top five, but only sometimes actually give the best of those five the award. Golden Elephant does similarly well in picking finalists and more often picks the best or at least close to the best among those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
No answer in the first poll describes my situation. None of the awards is likely to positively impact my decision to purchase a game, but some of them are likely to cause me to seek more information about a game. I did publish a GeekList called Spiel des Jahres winners I've played exactly once---and hope it stays that way, but I still try to learn something about every SdJ winner, and I try the ones for which it seems there will be a good chance I'll like them.

I take the view that if an award functions as the impetus for you to seek out more information about a game, then that qualifies as the award's having positively influenced you toward buying the game, unless you are seeking out the information purely as due diligence (because you are a rival game designer or game podcaster/blogger) and have no intention of buying. Seeking out information is often the first step to buying it; the award doesn't have to be the deciding factor, but it got you to pay attention to a game that you might not otherwise have heard of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not influenced by the lack of an award, but while examing the box, if I notice one I'll grant the game a touch of respect. WHich might not be enough for me to acquire it, but it will be noted.

Thus I had trouble voting in the poll. Am I influenced? Well, yes, a tiny bit. Enough to change my mind about a game? Almost certainly not. I'm either going to want it, or not care.

Gerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't ask, but some awards actually influence me in the opposite direction.

The Mensa awards discourage me from being interested in a game. Their selection method involves pay to play and the judges are members of Mensa for whom it could easily be their first time playing a game as the only requirement is to be there the weekend of the judging and to be a member of Mensa.

The Heavy Elephant and The Dice Tower awards, being from, near as I can tell, reviewers who's tastes don't align with mine, also pushes me away from games sporting their logo.

Ironically, the Golden Geeks are also a no go, as the award process allows almost anyone to vote, regardless of whether or not they understand the category in which they are voting. Leading to abominations such as King of Tokyo as the best Children's game. Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game award I look forward to the most is the Fairplay A La Carte award. This is primarily because I have always liked card games. Unfortunately, I usually have to go looking for the results as they don't generally seem to be reported.

I also used to really like the Counter magazine Hall of Fame. It was usually even harder to keep up with if you weren't a subscriber. It's not even clear if they've been keeping it up for several years now. One of the reasons I really liked it was the goal to look back five years to name the winners. Anything that won would need to have some staying power to win.

I used to be pretty interested in what games won awards, mostly as a way to find out about games I wasn't aware of. For the most part, that's not really an issue anymore. That's a combination of spending too much time on BGG and being more focused on specific games in general.

At one point, I would keep track of the half dozen or so awards I cared about, assign points, and keep a running total of which games had the most points. I haven't don that for several years now.

I'm really surprised at the number of people aware of the Mensa select award, particularly given how rarely it seems to favor games that are favored by BGGers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a "Gaming Bucket list" goal to play every SdJ winner at least once. I only lack two as of this posting (Dampfross and Um Reifenbreite). Although I've heard of several of the others, the SdJ is the only award I really concern myself with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
The game award I look forward to the most is the Fairplay A La Carte award. This is primarily because I have always liked card games. Unfortunately, I usually have to go looking for the results as they don't generally seem to be reported.

Dang, can't believe I forgot this one. In recent years they've started moving away from traditionalist card games (like say Haggis) in the direction of hobbyist card games (like Caylus Magna Carta).

seppo21 wrote:
I also used to really like the Counter magazine Hall of Fame... One of the reasons I really liked it was the goal to look back five years to name the winners.

This sounds wonderful. An award for the last twelve months has always felt a little superficial to me. Measuring only how good the game is in the very short term (or in the case of the Mensa, the extreme short term as you only play the game for about an hour before rating it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the only awards that have affected my buying decisions were the Charles S Roberts Awards for wargames, which sadly were last held in 2012. Their choices seem to have held up pretty well for picking excellent games.

I might like to know that my favourite designers have won Spiel des Jahres awards or even that Scythe is #1 on the Dice Tower People's Choice 2017. And it might be fun to guess which game will win or to talk about it. But it matters zip for my buying.

I see there is a thread on a best art of 2017 award. Nice that it recognises how good the board art and production quality is of Lisboa, but I'd have to question how Gloom of Kilforth was not even a finalist. I can only assume, it is not yet a popular enough game in terms of how many people have it, but the art in my eyes is up a level on some of the finalists. Still, useful for flagging up some games with interesting art, it did make me check out the art of a few of the finalists, so an award like that could well be influential to me, as nice art is a persuader for me.

Anything very high in the BGG ranking will certainly get my attention, that's more likely to put a game on my radar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter D
United Kingdom
london
UK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not get why people respect an award voted for by the public (eg golden geek). These end up almost always being so closely correlated to sales levels as to make it a pure popularity contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like awards. They say more about the people giving them than those receiving them. What do they say? Look at how important we are. We're giving an award!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
duckworp wrote:
I do not get why people respect an award voted for by the public (eg golden geek). These end up almost always being so closely correlated to sales levels as to make it a pure popularity contest.

Well if you take as a prerequisite that we're talking "hobby" games (Euros etc) and not the mainstream traditional Monopolies etc that are household names... so within that niche...
Sales mean people are buying them, which means positive word of mouth and that people like them - is that not worth rewarding? Yeah it's a different type of award, but I wouldn't say it's a meaningless award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To me, a perfect storm would be one which rains down Reddi-Wip and cherries.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Question #6 needed another option:
-- Some other consideration not listed.

My buying decisions are not swayed by awards, and certainly not by cover art. I go by subject matter/theme, how many people can play, how long is the average game, and (most important) the very subjective question of "Is it something my family will like and play?".

The cover art and/or theme might catch my eye, but if the description of play on the back doesn't sound interesting, back on the shelf it goes. I'll give it a second look if someone whose game likes are similar to mine recommends it, but I'd still want to play at least once.

We use the game library at a local gaming con (KantCon) to try out possible games to add to our collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
Supplementary Overall Poll:
Starting off with the awards TGIF respondents have kindly pointed out were missing from the original poll and continuing with the original list in reverse alphabetical order, let's rank these awards. Please only choose ONE award as "Highest Regard." This is the accolade you respect above all others. "Dislike" indicates that you tend to actively avoid games so awarded. If you don't care about awards, the choice for you is "Meh" UNLESS you are unfamiliar with the award, in which case you should choose "Never heard of it." #2 pencils ready, and...
Poll
Rank these awards, selecting only ONE award (if any) as "Highest Regard."
  Highest Regard Respect Meh Dislike - I actively avoid games that have won this award Never heard of it Vote Count
Nederlandse Spellenprijs (Dutch Game Award) 0.0% (0) 10.8% (4) 8.1% (3) 0.0% (0) 81.1% (30) 37
Jogo do Ano 0.0% (0) 13.5% (5) 8.1% (3) 2.7% (1) 75.7% (28) 37
Fairplay A La Carte 2.7% (1) 8.1% (3) 13.5% (5) 0.0% (0) 75.7% (28) 37
Diana Jones Award 0.0% (0) 10.8% (4) 18.9% (7) 0.0% (0) 70.3% (26) 37
Counter Magazine Hall of Fame 2.8% (1) 11.1% (4) 16.7% (6) 0.0% (0) 69.4% (25) 36
Charles S. Roberts 5.4% (2) 18.9% (7) 13.5% (5) 5.4% (2) 56.8% (21) 37
As d'Or 0.0% (0) 15.8% (6) 15.8% (6) 0.0% (0) 68.4% (26) 38
Vuoden Peli (Finland) 0.0% (0) 5.9% (2) 5.9% (2) 0.0% (0) 88.2% (30) 34
UK Games Expo 0.0% (0) 10.8% (4) 35.1% (13) 0.0% (0) 54.1% (20) 37
Tric Trac 0.0% (0) 18.4% (7) 21.1% (8) 0.0% (0) 60.5% (23) 38
Swiss Gamers Award 0.0% (0) 7.9% (3) 5.3% (2) 0.0% (0) 86.8% (33) 38
Spiel der Spiele (Austria) 0.0% (0) 10.5% (4) 15.8% (6) 0.0% (0) 73.7% (28) 38
Spiel des Jahres 40.0% (16) 50.0% (20) 5.0% (2) 5.0% (2) 0.0% (0) 40
South by Southwest (SXSW) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 31.4% (11) 2.9% (1) 65.7% (23) 35
Origins Awards 0.0% (0) 24.3% (9) 29.7% (11) 13.5% (5) 32.4% (12) 37
Mensa Select 0.0% (0) 21.1% (8) 39.5% (15) 34.2% (13) 5.3% (2) 38
Meeples Choice 0.0% (0) 16.2% (6) 32.4% (12) 2.7% (1) 48.6% (18) 37
International Gamers Award 2.7% (1) 27.0% (10) 21.6% (8) 0.0% (0) 48.6% (18) 37
Gouden Ludo 0.0% (0) 8.1% (3) 18.9% (7) 0.0% (0) 73.0% (27) 37
Golden Geek 7.7% (3) 48.7% (19) 28.2% (11) 12.8% (5) 2.6% (1) 39
Golden Elephant 5.4% (2) 18.9% (7) 13.5% (5) 2.7% (1) 59.5% (22) 37
Games Magazine / Games 100 0.0% (0) 22.2% (8) 36.1% (13) 5.6% (2) 36.1% (13) 36
Deutscher Spielepreis (DSP) 13.2% (5) 21.1% (8) 13.2% (5) 2.6% (1) 50.0% (19) 38
Dice Tower 0.0% (0) 42.1% (16) 34.2% (13) 21.1% (8) 2.6% (1) 38
Cardboard Republic 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 8.1% (3) 2.7% (1) 89.2% (33) 37
Total Voters 40
This poll is now closed.   40 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the second person who took this second poll, I can say that the first person has heard of almost none of these awards, but respects the four that they've heard of, which is interesting.

For me, I went with negative perception for three of them. I was going to just do it for two, then I went and looked up the past dice tower award winners and there have been like two good games that ever won anything from them, which is a low enough success rate that I'm not going to be pretty dubious when I see that symbol.

Most of the rest get it right about as often as they get it wrong, which is the least helpful as it means that I can't really know what to think when I hear that a game has won such an award. And also they seem to just go to the most obvious game, which makes me wonder why even bother with the award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
As the second person who took this second poll, I can say that the first person has heard of almost none of these awards, but respects the four that they've heard of, which is interesting.

For me, I went with negative perception for three of them. I was going to just do it for two, then I went and looked up the past dice tower award winners and there have been like two good games that ever won anything from them, which is a low enough success rate that I'm not going to be pretty dubious when I see that symbol.

Most of the rest get it right about as often as they get it wrong, which is the least helpful as it means that I can't really know what to think when I hear that a game has won such an award. And also they seem to just go to the most obvious game, which makes me wonder why even bother with the award.

Most obvious to you. I think it's fair to say BGG regulars are not the target audience for most game awards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Awards mean next to nothing for me. I am usually a first adopter anyway, well before games win any awards. The BGG awards are among the worst, so I perhaps get a negative from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.