8 Posts

Simple GBoH» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hydaspes - rout level inaccuracy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stevie K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Having just completed this battle, I am now quite bemused by the rout levels stated in the scenario book. Upon first reading, 75 for the Macedonians and 70 for the Indians seem reasonable enough. However, with our battle ending after the Indians hit their rout level (with the Macedonians close to theirs), a view of the end game looked like it was close to devastation for the Macedonians - the Indians had loads of units still in place. From our perspective there was only one side that would be ready to withdraw - the Macedonians.

Indeed, given the fact that the Indian army picked up slightly more rout points than the Macedonian army, the ratio of their numerical advantage had increased significantly.

I know it's only a game (sorry for saying that!) but in the real Hydaspes it was estimated that the Indians lost somewhere between 12 and 20 times as many men as the Macedonians, a fact which goes a long way to explaining their defeat.

So, all things considered, why did our Hydaspes not reverse the history books?

And, please don't take me for a bad loser, but am I right to feel agrieved? :-)

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
the end situation should have been a photo too!

macedon had a little arc of flanked phalanx getting encircled by virtually untouched elephants as Macedon ignored them once it was found they are only worth 2RP each.. whereas the 5vp squishy LI were a much better target... goes against my own limited version of history where I believed, perhaps wrongly, that the Indians held the Ele and chariots in high regard and the inf in very low regard.. so why is the army so much more worried about loosing LI than Ele and Chariots?

Indians lost 72rp and macdeon was on 55RP or so with at least 30RP available very easily....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Jon, I agree, there has to be something wrong if the LI are 250% more valuable than the war elephants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Chubooga wrote:
the end situation should have been a photo too!

macedon had a little arc of flanked phalanx getting encircled by virtually untouched elephants as Macedon ignored them once it was found they are only worth 2RP each.. whereas the 5vp squishy LI were a much better target... goes against my own limited version of history where I believed, perhaps wrongly, that the Indians held the Ele and chariots in high regard and the inf in very low regard.. so why is the army so much more worried about loosing LI than Ele and Chariots?

Indians lost 72rp and macdeon was on 55RP or so with at least 30RP available very easily....

In this game that is a huge delta. Elephants are fickle. More so than Inf. Chariots uncontrollable....Go figure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
To be fair we did play the chariots wrong when we didn't destroy them if they failed to rout units they shocked?

Appreciate the comments though.... but what do you mean delta?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
The difference between one rout level and another you are not that close.

The biggest issue I find is all units that rout march off map...
Except Hoplite/PH double units.
They evaporate. That can cause big swings in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
they all evaporate in simple GBOH... its just the indian army looked a lot stronger than what was left of the macedon forces... but then I guess if the elephants are left then that's supposedly not much in the eyes of the games designer who values them at 2rp each...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Ray
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Keep in mind the games scale:

"Each point of Size denotes 150–200 infantry (depending on their
formation, depth and usage) or 100 cavalry. Thus, the Craterus
phalanx unit represents 1,500 men, while a Persian Bactrian
Heavy Cavalry unit contains about 500 men. Each chariot Size
Point equals from 6-7 chariots, and each Elephant size point is
one Elephant (Big suckers, those elephants). Foot skirmishers
are an exception; their size—always ‘1’—reflects not their
numerical strength but their dispersed type of formation."

EL units are 2 RP because the unit represents 5 Elephants. The LI here represent on the order of 750 - 1,000 men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.