Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Fowler
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, everyone!

I just wanted to share my discovery that you can now purchase the official 5th and 6th player components for Spirit Island from the Greater Than Games website! This is great news for people like me who missed the opportunity to score these tokens during the Kickstarter.

The colors are green and orange, which I'm very excited about; I think these colors are much more appropriate for certain spirits than some of the colors in the base game.

These componenents are available here: https://store.greaterthangames.com/champions-of-the-dahan-to...

In addition, you can grab the canonical playmat from the same site, as well as preorder the rerelease of the Branch and Claw expansion! :D How awesome is that?!

I apologize if this was already mentioned somewhere on the forum! I am quite pumped about this!

(Yay!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is such a weird decision, to me, to not just make a proper 5/6 player expansion, with 2 more island tiles, some fear tokens, some invaders, and the green and orange player markers. Why require the playmat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I won't likely be playing this 5 or 6 players anytime soon I'm waiting. Currently that 5/6 player pack doesn't include defense/point tokens or extra fear/blight so it doesn't feel complete to me. I'm hoping they put official 5th/6th player stuff in a new expansion at some point (with all needed components).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
boomtron wrote:
It is such a weird decision, to me, to not just make a proper 5/6 player expansion, with 2 more island tiles, some fear tokens, some invaders, and the green and orange player markers. Why require the playmat?

Because they want to do a proper six player expansion with extra spirits and powers and things too.

This is not a "six player expansion" and Eric is on record as saying "If you really want to play the game six player, you're better off using two copies rather than the playmat". This is essentially just GTG saying "Well, people keep yelling at us to make this thing that we did as a high-tier Kickstarter reward available to them, so we're going to do that."

So again: This is not them not making a six player expansion. This is them selling a Kickstarter bonus to impatient people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Fowler
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
PerceptiveMan wrote:
boomtron wrote:

Because they want to do a proper six player expansion with extra spirits and powers and things too.

This is not a "six player expansion" and Eric is on record as saying "If you really want to play the game six player, you're better off using two copies rather than the playmat". This is essentially just GTG saying "Well, people keep yelling at us to make this thing that we did as a high-tier Kickstarter reward available to them, so we're going to do that."

So again: This is not them not making a six player expansion. This is them selling a Kickstarter bonus to impatient people.

That makes complete sense. I also wasn't taking this as a "5-6 player expansion"; it's clearly just the components only. Which...is evidently boring for lots of people, I suppose. For me, I'm definitely interested in the components themselves, albeit primarily for purely aesthetic reasons (the colors better going with certain spirits). But I fully expect that we'll get a proper, content-filled expansion at some point that does enhance play at high player counts!

...also, are you implying that I'm an impatient person? If so, you're absolutely correct, lol. Your user handle is fitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Freeman
Canada
Vancouver
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is awesome but the thought of playing it with 5 or 6 players makes my brain want to explode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
umberts wrote:
This game is awesome but the thought of playing it with 5 or 6 players makes my brain want to explode.

<nod>

With players who know the game well, 5-6p works out to not much more complexity/board-parsing than a 4p game - the island gets large enough that there are swaths of it you basically end up ignoring because you just can't affect them, or even anything nearby them. Spirit-targeting powers are an exception to this, but using them tends to be more dependent on player-communication than board-parsing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Zev
msg tools
badge
All knowledge is worth having
mbmbmbmbmb
And even the spirits who can reach the entire board (I'm looking at you, Shadows and Ocean) won't need to most of the time, because other spirits are handling those areas.

Actually, Ocean is probably the trickiest, because there's incentive to move to all the oceans in order to give every board access to drowning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I played with 5 at BGG.con (or was it 6?), and it was surprisingly not too bad. I definitely don't think it'd be much of an issue with veteran players. Definitely not if any of the players were new though.

There's a really good way to use your buff cards at a large player count that we use in our 4-player games anyway. Instead of suggesting to a certain player that they accept my buff, I just announce to the table what I have to offer and whoever thinks they need it the most can have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
KoshKing777 wrote:

That makes complete sense. I also wasn't taking this as a "5-6 player expansion"; it's clearly just the components only. Which...is evidently boring for lots of people, I suppose. For me, I'm definitely interested in the components themselves, albeit primarily for purely aesthetic reasons (the colors better going with certain spirits).

You're not the first person to say this, which I admit to finding a little confusing. The presence discs are basically the only truly generic component in the entire game, so a quick Google search for, say "Wooden Discs for Board games" will turn up people willing to sell you a veritable rainbow of them for very reasonable prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewis
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh. I may wait longer on the 5/6-player, but I might have to grab the playmat when I get paid next (if there's still some there). I don't even feel comfortable using canonical yet but it can be art until I am. That thing is gorgeous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
PerceptiveMan wrote:
The presence discs are basically the only truly generic component in the entire game, so a quick Google search for, say "Wooden Discs for Board games" will turn up people willing to sell you a veritable rainbow of them for very reasonable prices.

You would think that, but in the past couple years every supplier switched to 4mm discs (or were already using 4mm). The 3mm ones in SI are now rarities!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
piman wrote:
PerceptiveMan wrote:
The presence discs are basically the only truly generic component in the entire game, so a quick Google search for, say "Wooden Discs for Board games" will turn up people willing to sell you a veritable rainbow of them for very reasonable prices.

You would think that, but in the past couple years every supplier switched to 4mm discs (or were already using 4mm). The 3mm ones in SI are now rarities!

To be fair, it's still significantly cheaper to replace all 6 colors with third party stuff than to buy the 5-6p pack. You would miss the power reminders and extra invaders though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
Tobl wrote:

To be fair, it's still significantly cheaper to replace all 6 colors with third party stuff than to buy the 5-6p pack. You would miss the power reminders and extra invaders though.

Not quite, since the 5-6p pack doesn't come with reminder tokens.

It does come with invaders, but if you're really only interested in more colors...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo da
msg tools
How long does the game take with 5-6 players? I've only played solo so far but I already feel like the game takes a fair amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Eric Reuss
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Festian wrote:
How long does the game take with 5-6 players? I've only played solo so far but I already feel like the game takes a fair amount of time.

I believe the rough progression of "15 minutes + 30 minutes/player" (with experienced players) continues, so a bit under 3 hours with 5 and a bit over 3 hours with 6?

At that length, +/- 25% time makes a bigger difference, though, and there tends to be substantial variation between playgroups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Karamanyan
United States
Clinton
Washington
flag msg tools
Does anyone know where else these might be available? Appears to be out of stock on the Greater Than Games site

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
rskaramanyan wrote:
Does anyone know where else these might be available? Appears to be out of stock on the Greater Than Games site

No where. I've been searching diligently. There is someone's home made version of the 5-6 player stuff on eBay but I don't find it looks good enough to buy.

The other stuff, the playmat and promo spirits, have also popped on eBay but both for 4x their price.

As much as I want all these items I am personally just going to have to wait for them to restock the items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are unlikely to be sold by anyone other than Greater than Games--it's too niche a product for retailers to stock (and also isn't really a complete product, as it's missing things like the reminder tokens).

I'd suggest e-mailing contact@greaterthangames.com and asking when (if) they're expecting a restock.

It's also worth noting that Greater than Games is on record as saying that a Kickstarter for an expansion is planned for this fall, and that supporting 5-6p is a frequently requested feature that might be included. But that prospective Kickstarter wouldn't deliver until 2020, perhaps longer than you want to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Karamanyan
United States
Clinton
Washington
flag msg tools
Thank you guys. I don't necessarily need them but loved the option of 5/6 players. I'll be patient (or do my best) and see if it's included with the kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
rskaramanyan wrote:
Thank you guys. I don't necessarily need them but loved the option of 5/6 players. I'll be patient (or do my best) and see if it's included with the kickstarter.

Best way to play 5-6 players is to find someone else with a copy of the game (for more boards, fear and energy, which the "5-6 player components" does not include, and invader/blight pieces, which it does) and buy some more random presence markers off the internet by searching for "Wooden discs for board games" -- you can get a billion different colors pretty easily. The most common size will be slightly thicker than the ones that come with SI, but who cares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.