8 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 2» Forums » General

Subject: December question (spoilers for upto December) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So we've just played (and lost) our first game in December...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
and I'm pretty sure unless we get extremely lucky we have no way to win the game.

We're playing as 2 people with 3/4 characters each game. First month of December we played with 4.

We have 70+player cards as didn't want to put too many in box 6 in case of it biting us massively in the arse later on... We took out what we could in the first game but that only took out 3 cards...

I'm going out on a limb and saying all movement abilities ie Runner and the airlift event card don't work for the carrier, as the scar mentions moving only by drive/ferry?

The only things we have going is a blue and yellow permanent radio tower, in cities with supply centres, and tuat we were able to build a permanent supply centre in Johannesburg. Our nearest supply centre to Lake Baikal is Hong Kong, unfortunately we had to stop Bangkok from falling/repopulate it so didn't have enough points to make this permanent

We have all the reds connected and have made the shortest route from Lake Baikal to JB that we can see (LB>Utopia>Shanghai>Hong Kong>Hotel Chi Minh>Bangkok>Kolkata>New Mumbai>Haven>Antananarivo>Dar Ed Salaam>Johannesburg but can't see a way of shortening this (can't change sea lanes due to red lines)

We have characters with facilitator, rehab nurse and instructor, so this will help... But not sure how much so, it looks like this is all going to come down to the luck of what cards are drawn...

Are we absolutely fucked? Any tips or hints or input whatsoever, would be extremely helpful - I don't see a way we can win but really want to, or at least give it the best shot we can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Levine
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sith_Lords wrote:
So we've just played (and lost) our first game in December...

and I'm pretty sure unless we get extremely lucky we have no way to win the game.

We're playing as 2 people with 3/4 characters each game. First month of December we played with 4.

We have 70+player cards as didn't want to put too many in box 6 in case of it biting us massively in the arse later on... We took out what we could in the first game but that only took out 3 cards...

I'm going out on a limb and saying all movement abilities ie Runner and the airlift event card don't work for the carrier, as the scar mentions moving only by drive/ferry?

The only things we have going is a blue and yellow permanent radio tower, in cities with supply centres, and tuat we were able to build a permanent supply centre in Johannesburg. Our nearest supply centre to Lake Baikal is Hong Kong, unfortunately we had to stop Bangkok from falling/repopulate it so didn't have enough points to make this permanent

We have all the reds connected and have made the shortest route from Lake Baikal to JB that we can see (LB>Utopia>Shanghai>Hong Kong>Hotel Chi Minh>Bangkok>Kolkata>New Mumbai>Haven>Antananarivo>Dar Ed Salaam>Johannesburg but can't see a way of shortening this (can't change sea lanes due to red lines)

We have characters with facilitator, rehab nurse and instructor, so this will help... But not sure how much so, it looks like this is all going to come down to the luck of what cards are drawn...

Are we absolutely fucked? Any tips or hints or input whatsoever, would be extremely helpful - I don't see a way we can win but really want to, or at least give it the best shot we can!

Yep, you have to drive/ferry.

So the shortest possible path is LB -> Utopia -> Shanghai -> Ho Chi Minh -> Kolkata -> New Mumbai -> Dar Ed Salaam -> Johannesburg. You may have blocked off the shortest possible route through asia with other lines, but I don't see how it wouldn't be possible to connect New Mumbai to Dar Ed Salaam - you do know a sea route can pass through one red line, right?

If you can't do the shortest route through Asia, you should look to see if you can build routes to at least cut off one city (can you skip Hong Kong or Bangkok? Can you get from Shanghai to Jakarta in 2 moves, and from there to Kolkata?

Other advice: build a red satellite station to make passing those cards much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stamp
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a character who could draw from the discard make the delivery run so they have 1 or 2 red cards and recycle them. I assume you are worried about getting enough red cards. Do you have all of the city card improvements which allow other colours to be used as red?

Can you not draw a land line Ho Chi Minh to Kolkata and a sea lane new Mumbai to dar es salaam? That will reduce a few hops. Meanwhile keep the other characters concentrating on keeping the rest of the world alive as long as possible.

You are right about airlift, runner etc.

We only put 1 city card in box 6 so had a similar deck to you. We had no issues getting enough cards. We almost won early December, I was sat in Kolkata with all of the cards I needed and 5 plague cubes on the board. Just needed to get through one infection step with a high chance of getting at least one hollow men card but didn’t and the three cities that came out were the three empty cities we had that could come up.

I think you have a good chance, the dice tower guys hadn’t even connected to Johannesburg at the start of December, they had no chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
KoolKow wrote:

Yep, you have to drive/ferry.
So the shortest possible path is LB -> Utopia -> Shanghai -> Ho Chi Minh -> Kolkata -> New Mumbai -> Dar Ed Salaam -> Johannesburg. You may have blocked off the shortest possible route through asia with other lines, but I don't see how it wouldn't be possible to connect New Mumbai to Dar Ed Salaam - you do know a sea route can pass through one red line, right?

If you can't do the shortest route through Asia, you should look to see if you can build routes to at least cut off one city (can you skip Hong Kong or Bangkok? Can you get from Shanghai to Jakarta in 2 moves, and from there to Kolkata?

Other advice: build a red satellite station to make passing those cards much easier.

We plan on building a red satellite asap, we had one in the last few months - just didn't have the points in the end game to make it permanent annoyingly! Didn't see the land line between Ho Chi Minh and Kolkata but that will definitely help - annoying as we spent points in our last game stopping bangkok falling.
I didn't think we could have Sea Lanes going between Ho Chi Minh and Jakarta, and Dar Es Salaam and New Mumbai as we already have a Sea Lane going over the red line - I was under the impression only one sea lane could cross a red line?

Picture of our relevant part of board for reference, sorry uploaded upside down by mistake! -

stackey83 wrote:
Have a character who could draw from the discard make the delivery run so they have 1 or 2 red cards and recycle them. I assume you are worried about getting enough red cards. Do you have all of the city card improvements which allow other colours to be used as red?

We have all these improvements, just didn't have the luck of the drawer in part 1 of December, no red cards till we already had 6 plague cubes on the board

stackey83 wrote:
Can you not draw a land line Ho Chi Minh to Kolkata and a sea lane new Mumbai to dar es salaam? That will reduce a few hops. Meanwhile keep the other characters concentrating on keeping the rest of the world alive as long as possible.

See above - defnitely feeling like a fool regarding Ho Chi Minh and Kolkata though!

stackey83 wrote:
We only put 1 city card in box 6 so had a similar deck to you. We had no issues getting enough cards. We almost won early December, I was sat in Kolkata with all of the cards I needed and 5 plague cubes on the board. Just needed to get through one infection step with a high chance of getting at least one hollow men card but didn’t and the three cities that came out were the three empty cities we had that could come up.

I think you have a good chance, the dice tower guys hadn’t even connected to Johannesburg at the start of December, they had no chance!

Ah that sucks for you guys! Hopefully we get the cards drawn this time - we've had a few (read lot) of losses so have 10 rationed events this game, and have only used one unrationed so far - which should help, providing we get a lucky draw!

Thanks for the help/assistance though, both of you Feeling a little more positive now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
You have the red line restriction backwards:
Each sea route can only cross one red line, not each red line can only be crossed by one sea route.

You could also connect the Indian ocean haven or even New Mumbai directly to Dar Es Salaam to save some steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stamp
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each sea lane can only cross one red line, you can have as many lines as you want crossing a single red line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well - we did it, and won! We got very lucky in drawing the Extended Time card to use for our carrier, and getting a very good draw from both the player and infection deck.

The sea lane correction/clarification definitely saved us, managed to get the route down hugely, to the shortest detialed above - finished with 620 points, but saving the world! Thanks for all the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Molesworth
Australia
Glenhaven
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the design of the end game months (November/December) absolutely sucks. The professional reviewers won't say it because they are too scared to upset the sacred cow designers. But I will.

The game withholds the access to Utopia until the end of November when "the plan" is complete. So, by design, you only have the two attempts in December to achieve the suicide infected run. It cannot be commenced earlier.

Unless you are very lucky, or have read spoilers, you have very little chance of winning the first game in December. We had the Johannesburg lab pre-built, all supply lines in place, some transmission towers and had built a string of shelters along the ground route from Utopia to Johannesburg as we predicted the rules would do something to impede rapid movement by air. We were expecting a relay type mission to pass the samples from one character to another as characters died from exposure or scars.

We had well-tuned characters and had used Box 6 very effectively.

We almost won the first game in December.

Then the game chewed us up and spat us out on the second play in December with a series of bad city cards draws, very early epidemics, and the earliest possible immediate-death-by-exposure-scratch-off when first self-infecting.

And of course, if you lose the second game in December you lose the whole campaign. Great. What fun.

Our friends had enjoyed the social time for the previous 12 plays, but December made us all a bit angry and very disappointed. It all came down to PURE ****ing LUCK and we had absolutely no chance to mitigate the situation.

I know BAD game design when I see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.