Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Simple question, our gaming group is either 4 or 5 of us and we all love Mansions of Madness 2nd edition with the app. I saw SW:IA got an app release and picked it up for us. There are always either 4 or 5 of us, which usually isn't a problem. Then I noticed it's only up to 4 with the LotA app.

Has anybody heard if they plan to release an update allowing for more players?

Assuming 3 players are pretty much there every week with the other 2 rotating in and out, would the rotating players need to share a character for the app to work properly? Would they each be able to have their own character? If so, would their characters fall behind the main 3 in level and experience? Can we compensate easily for that if it's the case?

How would you guys handle it? And no, 1 vs many is not the answer for our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a co-op.

IMHO play with 4 heroes whatever number of players you have around each time.

Optimally you would have opinions from everyone for what is best done next. Then whoever controls that hero performs the abilities/attacks and has the final say.

There is even a role for one player interfacing with the app, and/or performing the imperial activations if you have more players than heroes. But that player still takes part in the rebel strategy and tactics discussion, so isn't an imperial player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's a thought but typically the characters we each choose in games don't often appeal to any of the other players. It works out great that way as nobody fights over the same ones.

Curious about my other questions. I have yet to find the time to try out the game and learn it before introducing it to everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can’t change characters during the campaign, so you are going to have to choose up front your group of characters and then choose who controls which characters each time you play based on which players are present.

You can guarantee they won’t be making the game work with more players. There just isn’t a balanced way to easily make the SWIA Rules work for 5 Rebel players. The app is using the same balancing techniques as the main game, which supported 2-4 Heroes.

There are situations where you will earn Allies, such that a 5th player could control the Allies (usually, the group controls them together). Thus, occasionally you will be able to have everyone doing something, but you won’t always have the option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you’re with 5 and if you have an ally: play imperial assault. If no allies are available, play mansions or a different 5 player game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a thread on the IA forum about trying to play "non-app IA" (i.e. 1 vs many) with 6 players. A lot suggested to have 2 imperial players against (still "only") 4 Rebels, but others also had a suggestion to apply "reverse reward".

When you play with only 3 Rebels, you get a reward for(I think) +3 HP and there's an activation token that gets passed around, giving 1 of the players an extra activation each round (token has to pass to another player each round).

You could play with 5 rebels, taking -3HP (ouch) and having a "non activation" token passed around, such that each round there's a player that doesn't get to activate, but you rotate clockwise each round. It'd be a little clumsy with the app in the sense that sometimes you'd get to tell that "the character that isn't mentioned in the app has acted", and moreso because the proposed choices for "higher priority" target Rebel wouldn't include the 5th charaacter by default. But I guess you could just roll a D4 (or something) and change the target to the 5th character on a 4. Just a thought.
Items & loot shouldn't really be a problem, I believe, 'cause I don't think the App scales money the way the normal game does.

This has been pointed as imperfect in the thread I was refering to. But it's better than nothing. If you do try it, please report to the community on whether it works well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5 Rebel variant won’t work with LotA. It needs to know who has activated and who has been wounded to help determine the threat level.

And yes, the app does scale money and available items in the Armory. The number and type of weapons presented to you are dependent on present players and their preferred weapon types. It also does things like ensure it only gives you one Armor per Hero, so you don’t end up with useless choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
We played the original one vs many version of Mansions of Madness and hated it. That style just doesn't suit our group well. We'd all rather be fighting alongside eachother instead of against. That's one of the reasons we don't play D&D or other games requiring a DM.

With everything you guys said, it sounds like we have a few options.

Play the game and have the least interested person take up controlling the Allies when they appear (are they controlled just like a normal hero for the most part or does the app control them?)

The 2 players that don't always make it to game nights can choose a single character to share so that when there are only 4 of us, everyone still has their character to use.

Play another game.

I did notice that there appear to be separate save files on my account. Would this allow me to carry on separate campaigns? Assuming the missions weren't too repetitive, this would hopefully allow us to carry on 2 separate campaigns and even allow s few of us to have secondary characters, alternating parties depending on who shows up. That'd be great if it was possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Turner
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
grandmasterstevo wrote:
We played the original one vs many version of Mansions of Madness and hated it. That style just doesn't suit our group well. We'd all rather be fighting alongside eachother instead of against. That's one of the reasons we don't play D&D or other games requiring a DM.

Play the game and have the least interested person take up controlling the Allies when they appear (are they controlled just like a normal hero for the most part or does the app control them?)

The 2 players that don't always make it to game nights can choose a single character to share so that when there are only 4 of us, everyone still has their character to use.

Play another game.

I did notice that there appear to be separate save files on my account. Would this allow me to carry on separate campaigns? Assuming the missions weren't too repetitive, this would hopefully allow us to carry on 2 separate campaigns and even allow s few of us to have secondary characters, alternating parties depending on who shows up. That'd be great if it was possible!

This is how my groups have played a lot of cooperative games. It is almost guaranteed that one person will be out so we just share heroes. On the off change their are too may players, usually the owner of the game "controls" the game (Imperials in this instance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allies are fully controlled by the rebel players.

Yes, there are 5 save slots so that you could have more than one campaign going at a time. You will have more knowledge when you have already played a mission, so you may want to ponder about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
a1bert wrote:
Allies are fully controlled by the rebel players.

Yes, there are 5 save slots so that you could have more than one campaign going at a time. You will have more knowledge when you have already played a mission, so you may want to ponder about that.

Thanks! Right now is crazy busy so learning a new game may not happen as soon as I'd like. But with everything you guys have said, I think I'll play thru the tutorial campaign solo and read thru the rules PDF. After that and some research on any questions I have, the group will have a discussion on how we'd all like to proceed with the campaigns and then teaching can begin, probably with us playing thru the tutorial as a group.

Is there any need to read thru the SW:IA rulebooks that come with the game? I think I understand that the LotA rules supersede the old rules and I'd rather not needlessly confuse myself if possible.

Can't wait to try out the Mon Calamari Sniper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandmasterstevo wrote:

Play another game.

Mansions of Madness (Second Edition) is pure co-op and plays up to 5 players. It's fantastic.

If you were playing D&D with an antagonistic DM, then you did not have a proper D&D experience. A good DM is there to progress a story in which the PCs are the heroes, not to try to kill everyone (even though PC death will occasionally happen).

I also hate One vs. Many games but D&D is absolutely not that kind of game and shame on the DM that makes it one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United States
Rio Medina
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mansions of Madness 2.0 or 2nd edition or whatever they call it is pure app-driven co-op. The first edition however was one vs many. One guy in our group has them both and while the first edition rarely ever saw play, the 2nd edition makes it to the table much more often.

There's more to the not playing D&D thing, but as I don't play it was probably a bad example. What I should have said is that we don't like playing games where you have to lose a player to the Overlord role. It just isn't a good fit for us. Perfect example, I'd be all over the new Batman game coming to KS except it's the same thing, one vs many. Maybe if we had a player that enjoyed that role, but we don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandmasterstevo wrote:
Is there any need to read thru the SW:IA rulebooks that come with the game? I think I understand that the LotA rules supersede the old rules and I'd rather not needlessly confuse myself if possible.

LotA rules don't supercede anything, although they change a couple of things. The Rules Reference Guide is still your reference.

The tutorial is pretty good though, so start with the LotA Learn to Play and Tutorial, then read through the Rules Reference Guide to know the keywords to refer to when you need to look up something and to know when to look up something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually add to A1bert's suggestion to read the Reference Guide in extenso once you're done with the tutorial. It's pretty much FFG-style: you'll still have a ton of small questions otherwise.
(You could also try without reading it, and see if said questions arise or not.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Player Red
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ummm... even with the app you could still have 1 vs 4. Have the Imperial use the app as an aide. Use the app as normal (story, tile and enemy placement), but ignore the app combat directives. Instead control the imperials using the physical cards.

The app makes 1 vs 4 streamlined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayerRedDiceBoy wrote:
Ummm... even with the app you could still have 1 vs 4. Have the Imperial use the app as an aide. Use the app as normal (story, tile and enemy placement), but ignore the app combat directives. Instead control the imperials using the physical cards.

The app makes 1 vs 4 streamlined.

These simply don't work! Both the threat level and the timing structure are completely revised due to the fact that the enemies are showing up in a different manner.

There is no way you would be able to fight so many figures in the normal Campaign Missions as you do in the app ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be the crime in playing on Hard mode with one extra character? Sure the app doesn't see it and there will be a few issues (never gets picked as a target, will have to activate between two char/groups, money and gear). But so what? The app doesn't care who takes what gear, how the money is spent, what skills you take, etc. Just throw in a 5th character and see how it goes!

What's the worst that will happen? The app will gain sentience and attempt to kill you because you didn't play with it properly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.