Subject: Question about Persona #293 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
It reads:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Whenever you use a building to gain a guest card, you get 1 VP and 1 Coin.
Does this trigger only when I use a building showing this special card type as reward, or do I also get it when the building allows me to obtain any card from the supply and I chose that special type?

Question about a combination with minions:
When I use a robot on any building and use it to gain a card of the type required by the persona, does the effect also trigger?

Sorry if the translation is not 100% accurate as I am using the German version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to both. The Innkeeper works off anything that puts a guest in your supply during the game.

The robot works with the innkeeper too. (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely no to the second question. In that case, you're not using a building to gain a guest card, you're using a building and gaining a guest card.

I'm not so sure about the first question, so I'll leave that one without injecting my opinion.

EDIT: Maybe yes to the first one too? I'd really have to see the English wording of the Innkeeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually the robot does trigger it in this case. Jamey has stated that it doesn’t need to be the building’s award, but anything that causes the use of a building to result in gaining a particular thing. Using the robot indirectly results in gaining the card, but it still comes from using the building. Legal, per Jamey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ought to just take the building part out of there, then. I can't think of any other ways to obtain a guest card, except maybe by unlocking the crate that brought the new rules for guest cards, but I suspect that was the same crate that brings out this persona too (or somewhere earlier in the chain).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clinton chan
Canada
flag msg tools
it is incredibly easy to run 2 personas / game and chances are you're not getting a new persona every game. The blue player in our game has abused the retrieve persona + filled in new ones every game since. Among other things, there are seriously imbalanced things in charterstone that leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Smith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So to clarify: persona cards that mention a cost is only activated if the cost is specifically there (such as the persona that says gain X if used a building with a wood cost), but personas that mention a reward (such as gaining a specific type of card) can be activated even if that specific icon is not on the building (meaning I could go to the market to buy a specific type of card, or use a robot, and that would count)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly right, Daniel. There is very little limitation on most personas. I'm not sure why the "gain when x resource is used" are locked down like they are, but that's been the official ruling from Jamey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Good to know. Thank you guys a lot!

@Darren:
Getting the permanent bonus, which allows you to pick up a card from the supply at the beginning of each game or having another players worker move to the building where your robot is placed come to my mind. There are other options too to gain cards from the supply without using buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McMahon
Australia
Goulburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Akarashi wrote:
it is incredibly easy to run 2 personas / game and chances are you're not getting a new persona every game. The blue player in our game has abused the retrieve persona + filled in new ones every game since. Among other things, there are seriously imbalanced things in charterstone that leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Are you talking about the Coach?

That thing is broken. Over the course of our campaign, that persona must have resulted in 50 or so "free" (or extra) actions for the player who had it, probably contributed 5% or so of that player's final score from that one card. That no one else could ever take from them.

The other killer, which the same player got (though thankfully much later in the game) was the "look at top 3 cards and take one" instead of 5 face up, if desired. That card was ruthless at fishing out all the good treasure (play a robot, get a broken treasure, play a robot, get a broken treasure, play a worker, play a worker, free return from coach, rinse and repeat...)

The personas (which were exclusive to one player once unlocked) and the treasures were easily the most unbalancing parts of the game.

Despite this, I loved the game, the imbalance only really started to tip our campaign right at the end, and some players had nearly as lethal combos. Just the players that didn't had literally no chance in the last two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Goller
Canada
flag msg tools
As the blue player in your game I object to calling it abuse. I would say that I have taken advantage of the feature as anyone else could have. Having said that, I agree that the
'Coach' persona
is kinda broken, and it would have also left a bad taste in my mouth if anyone else had it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.