15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Need help making a school project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zaine Wraith
msg tools
This is for a Game Design class

I've been assigned to make/design a board game. The past two weeks I've wasted hours and hours and hours thinking about what kind of game I'm gonna make and it's making me go crazy. I need some kind of starting point.

Can someone please point me to the direction of making an acceptable one in the quickest/easiest way possible?

The first thing I showed my teacher was a snakes and ladders clone and he said that clones are not allowed, although the project may be inspired by a certain game or a combination of games it should evolve into a game of its own with distinct mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this an actual 'help me with my homework' post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not continue with your initial Snakes & Ladders clone, but modify/enhance it?

For example, in Snakes & Ladders (if I recall correctly) you spin and move, sliding/climbing if you land on the corresponding space. Provide a way to mitigate the luck in the game. Add some player interaction. Change the theme. It may be Snakes & Ladders "under the hood", but enough variation to make it a different/unique game.

That seems the easiest/quickest way to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Take three games, use the pieces from one, the style of board from another, and the general rules from a third. It might not work out, but may at least give you an idea for something.

Zooming out a bit, did the class have you play any modern games before telling you to design one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what the previous 2 weeks of class have had to say about the process of making games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DuskWitness wrote:
This is for a Game Design class

I've been assigned to make/design a board game. The past two weeks I've wasted hours and hours and hours thinking about what kind of game I'm gonna make and it's making me go crazy. I need some kind of starting point.

Can someone please point me to the direction of making an acceptable one in the quickest/easiest way possible?

The first thing I showed my teacher was a snakes and ladders clone and he said that clones are not allowed, although the project may be inspired by a certain game or a combination of games it should evolve into a game of its own with distinct mechanics.

Do you own any games?
Do you think any of those games can be improved on o at least iterated on?

Assuming the answers are yes and yes, get to work.

If either answer is no, buy a/o play more games until the answers are yes, then get to work.

Don't overthink it. Design what you would want to play.

(Are you taking this class against your will?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Get on Facebook.

Find out what your teacher's favorite hobby is... cats, golf, antiques, cooking, whatever.

Create a mindless roll and move game focused on that hobby.

Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
New Game Advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More context might help us give better answers.

For example, is this Game Design course in an Art department, a Math department, a business school, or what?

What have the lectures covered so far?

Have any games been given as examples?

Does this course have a reading list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two weeks of doing nothing is not a path to success.

Just imagine something you would like to be doing and simulate it.

And use copyright notices on all materials. It may be useless in court, but you can tell your teacher you don't want to be a source to be mined for someone else's profit.

(Keep that last part humorous, it just might make your efforts more memorable.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang. Just sitting here I could imagine a game of President Trump's ... goings on. And you'd be caught up on current affairs.

Did I just say affairs? whistle

Backdate to Clinton if your politics swing that way.

And if this is too America-centric, you've not even identified what hemisphere you may be in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Dang. Just sitting here I could imagine a game of President Trump's ... goings on. And you'd be caught up on current affairs. [...]

A note from across the Atlantic: avoid advice from politically obsessed players. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And there goes my idea for Donny Inch-Short Goes To D.C. (a farm mismanagement game). whistle

I once did a roll&move grasshopper game where you were mowing a lawn that had both fixed obstacles and card spaces. The grasshoppers would do things like turn mower off or even run backwards with it. If you avoided an obstacle you could toss it behind you or sideways to another row (mowers went up one row then down the next till lawn was completed).

Roll to start mower if it stops.

There you go. Steal the idea, modify it if you want, and do your homework.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
DuskWitness wrote:

Advice from a teacher -- when you ask enthusiastic people for help, don't give away that you're looking for a shortcut. It makes you look inauthentic. (We teachers would prefer that you embrace the assignment and actually BE enthusiastic, but part of school is learning to do things you don't want to do.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Henley
United States
Hopkinton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I found the first two chapters of "Challenges for Game Designers" (Brathwaite and Schreiber, Course Technology, 2008) helpful with questions like yours. For example in Chapter 2, Challenge 1 - The Path contains the following:

Quote:

For this game, you are going to explore the race to the end gameplay dynamic... The game should allow two to four players, be about progressing on a path, and make them go from point A to point B. The first player to point B wins.
As the game's designer, it's up to you to figure out the theme, the game bits, and the mechanics.

Suggested process:
1. Determine a theme and goal.
Where are the players going, and why are they going there? Choose a theme that involves some interaction between the participants, to make things interesting.

2. Identify mechanics.
Start simple. Visualize a track that goes from beginning to end that's broken up into a bunch of different sections. It may be 100 spaces or tiles or cards that ultimately build the track on which your players are going to "race." Now think of the mechanic that will get your players moving on that track. ... Next consider things you could do to make play more interesting. ... Does the narrative suggest any obvious mechanics? ...

3. Identify the conflict between players.
How can you screw up someone else's progress or accelerate yours? What's the trade-off?

4. Playtest.
Every time you add a mechanic to the game, test it. Does this make the game more fun or less fun? Does it support the core of the game? Does it work the way you originally thought it would?

5. Create deliverables.

I think that challenge (and the rest of the book) might add some scaffolding to your efforts to build your first game.

Consider using some of the excellent suggestions above: extend the game you started with, mix up bits from other games you know, revisit your class notes and texts, play some modern board games for ideas, etc. (Although, if you keep on with Snakes and Ladders, at least add some player decisions to it! Just rolling and moving with no choice is deadly dull.)

When you get a change, please reply to this thread: answer some of the questions raised, tell us what you found helpful, and let us know how it all comes out.

Finally, thank you for being honest that your questions were about a class assignment and your feelings of frustration with it. Hearing that helped me know how to answer you.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.