19 Posts

Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » General

Subject: Should I buy this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev Hobbes
United States
flag msg tools
This game looks pretty fun, but I already own Burgle Bros, Pandemic, and Forbidden Dessert--is this more of the same or are the mechanics/themes different enough that it's worth picking up?

Edit: I was strongly tempted already but after these responses, consider me sold. I'll likely pick this up in the next week or so, thanks for the input! I do enjoy co-op games and find them particularly good for getting people into games, especially family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't know the games you mention. but to your question: yes. love it, coop and solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snowulf
United States
Anna
Texas
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at: FriendlyGameNight.com
badge
Check out my blog at: FriendlyGameNight.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I own Pandemic and Forbidden Desert (along with Forbidden Island). This is definitely different enough that it is worth picking up. We love this game and it scratches a different itch than the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point and Pandemic have lived happily together in my collection for 5-6 years now. Flash Point sounds similar to Pandemic when you talk about the general way that the two games operate. The "room for both" question was one I mulled over before backing the original Kickstarter. At the table, Pandemic and Flash Point are two very different games. Similar concepts implemented very differently with strong thematic support.

I have not played Forbidden Desert, but I do own Burgle Bros. I feel like Burgle Bros is very much its own thing and definitely doesn't conflict with Flash Point.

My recommendation is always to try before you buy if able.

If you are a big fan of co-ops (personally I own many), are interested in the firefighting theme, want something with a lot of publisher support (many expansions), and/or like the idea of having less control/predictability than your current co-op shelf (dice vs deck of known cards/tiles), I think Flash Point is an excellent choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Pandemic, Forbidden Island, and Forbidden Desert and I just got Flash Point. They don't play like each other at all. Yes, you are trying to manage the bad stuff and mitigate the consequences, but they feel very dissimilar.

A couple of specific differences:

Flash Point has different maps/boards.
Flash Point allows players to change special characters mid-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karel ter Linden
Netherlands
Schijf
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
Lindoboom Collection
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frothystout wrote:
This game looks pretty fun, but I already own Burgle Bros, Pandemic, and Forbidden Dessert--is this more of the same or are the mechanics/themes different enough that it's worth picking up?

I've played all the games you mentioned. And yes there are great differences. The original Flashpoint is fun to play, there is even a family module. But the expansions make it harder and harder, like Dangerous water where you fight again a fire within a submarine. The last new expansion Tragic Events is certainly a must for a more unpredictable gaming pleasure... It's a fantastic co-op!!! So go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Terebayza
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have all those games you mentioned and Flash Point. Stop reading all of our advice and go get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So why do you ask? If it's because you love co-ops and are looking for more variety then you should rush out and get Flash Point. It is similar to some others you mentioned in that on the player's turn they have action points to do some good stuff (reduce the fire, save people) and then on the game's turn, bad stuff happens (fire spreads). There is no hidden information so if you have an alpha gamer, that could be a problem. I own this, two of the games you mentioned, and a couple other co-ops and I definitely don't regret it. For family game night, my family usually requests one of the co-ops so I like having options. Flash Point is a good one, lot's of theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash point shares a certain amount of the "classic" co-op game tropes with Pandemic - for example, each player takes their turn, then at the end of their turn runs the automated opposition. But it displaced Pandemic from my collection, partly because the randomness means more variation between games, partly because the people I play with found it more relatable, partly because of all the maps, partly because it's much more amenable to modding (since you don't have to alter any cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my part, I can barely understand why Flash Point gets compared to Pandemic so often, apart from a few very superficial things (role cards, being cooperative, "emergency" theme.)

The biggest difference for me is one of immersion and abstraction. In Pandemic, I'm trying to solve a puzzle on a tabletop. In Flash Point, I'm trying to rescue people from a fire.

I like both, but Flash Point is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i own a couple pandemics, dead men tell no tales, and b-sieged, and probably a couple other co-ops. This is different enough (more free / open than needing the specific cards to stop an area) as it is action point based rather than card based. I have all flash pointing available and love it. We've never had anyone 'dislike' the game. Really easy to ease new players in as the firefighting bit is super relate-able and the ideas hang off that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a good game
I'd say to get it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
In the Flash Point forum you will find Flash Point fans who recommend it. Like I do.

robinjohnson wrote:
The biggest difference for me is one of immersion and abstraction. In Pandemic, I'm trying to solve a puzzle on a tabletop. In Flash Point, I'm trying to rescue people from a fire.

I like both, but Flash Point is better.

+ Flash Point feels more thematic and intuitive than Pandemic to me. Less experienced gamers will learn and understand Flash Point more quickly.

+/- Flash Point's difficulty has a higher variance than Pandemic's. More high difficulty games and more easy games.

- The hot spots can be a confusing game mechanism. Not intuitive. I look forward to trying their replacement that I just received from the Flash Point Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My first game: BASKETmind, a simple yet realistic 5on5 basketball game
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to it is different enough to get it.

And if you are into thematic coops and end up liking the Flash Point mechanic, I used a similar one in my game Tetrarchia, about the four Emperors that saved the Roman Empire in the III century. I like FP a lot, but Tetrarchia is much easier to setup and play, and much more compact, so it has taken its place in my playlist...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really late to the party for a response, but no one has pointed out one critical thing that makes Flash Point different than Pandemic. In Flash Point players can intentionally damage the building to make it easier to move around. But the building can only take so much damage before it collapses and you lose. So each turn you have to ask is intentional damage worth the risk to move around easier? No such mechanic exists in Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick st-pierre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another nice coop game I enjoy better then flash point is Hotshots the board is made out of tiles so you always get a different setup plus your fighting fire with dice in this one ...check it out ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
frothystout wrote:

Edit: I was strongly tempted already but after these responses, consider me sold. I'll likely pick this up in the next week or so, thanks for the input! I do enjoy co-op games and find them particularly good for getting people into games, especially family.

Forbidden Dessert is a good game for developing self control, unless you're not really a sweet tooth and then it's too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thor A
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all the games you've listed. This one fits well into that group without being a total repeat. I'd say it's definitely worth picking up. I bought all the expansions after my first few games! The extra maps are worth the money.

I love game so much, that I ended up making my own POI tokens to include some of the variants I found on BGG. I was also late to the game so missed out on some of the exclusives. Namely, the locked doors which add a great element!

Here is a a set of door tokens that include locked doors as well as a backdraft door, which has been fun to incorporate.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/door-tokens-set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.