Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple Questions about Woodlands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Girard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are some lightbound and darkbound effects resolved immediately before combat? For example, the Storm Sylph says: If darkbound, gain a dark fate. If lightbound, lose a light fate. Would you do this and then fight with craft 2?
Some enemies tell you how to go about resolving the dark and light effects depending on whether you win or lose, I'm wondering if some are automatic and some are only conditional.

Does the Big Bad Wolf take a life as well as a follower?

If you draw Faerie Trod in the Outer Region and don't have a path, do you still draw one? Would you then discard it and draw a new one if you went into the Woodlands. Would you just discard it if you went to the middle region.

Thanks for any answers, this is my first expansion and it really adds a lot more text and things to remember.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyPilgrim wrote:
Are some lightbound and darkbound effects resolved immediately before combat? For example, the Storm Sylph says: If darkbound, gain a dark fate. If lightbound, lose a light fate. Would you do this and then fight with craft 2?
Some enemies tell you how to go about resolving the dark and light effects depending on whether you win or lose, I'm wondering if some are automatic and some are only conditional.

Page 9:
"Fatebound effects on Events, Enemies, Strangers, and Places are resolved when the card in [sic] encountered, unless otherwise stated."

If it doesn't say 'win or lose', then it's immediate.
SaltyPilgrim wrote:
Does the Big Bad Wolf take a life as well as a follower?

I'd say 'in addition to', otherwise it would be minimal threat if you had no Followers.

SaltyPilgrim wrote:
If you draw Faerie Trod in the Outer Region and don't have a path, do you still draw one? Would you then discard it and draw a new one if you went into the Woodlands. Would you just discard it if you went to the middle region.

Yes, yes, and yes.
It is perfectly normal to be able to get a Path outside of the Woodlands. Moving between any/all regions will remove your current Path. Only entering the Woodlands will give you one by default.
And any 'Meeting with Destiny' type text obviously does nothing if not in Woodlands.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Girard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thank you!

Edit: One more thing. When a card like a destiny says to increase your fate, life, strength, etc. value by 1, do you gain a counter for that right away, or does that just set a new floor or cap for those stats?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyPilgrim wrote:
Thank you!

Edit: One more thing. When a card like a destiny says to increase your fate, life, strength, etc. value by 1, do you gain a counter for that right away, or does that just set a new floor or cap for those stats?


I have not played Woodlands yet, although I received it for Christmas, but judging by my understanding of the base game, I would say that you would just get a counter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Havel
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SaltyPilgrim wrote:
Thank you!

Edit: One more thing. When a card like a destiny says to increase your fate, life, strength, etc. value by 1, do you gain a counter for that right away, or does that just set a new floor or cap for those stats?


It sets a new cap. If you have 4 lives written on your character cards, that is your life value. If it is increased by 1, you do not receive additional life counter, but the next time you replenish your lives up to your life value, it will be 5 counters (or rather the big one representing 5). The same goes for the fate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only true Cruan wrote:
SaltyPilgrim wrote:
Thank you!

Edit: One more thing. When a card like a destiny says to increase your fate, life, strength, etc. value by 1, do you gain a counter for that right away, or does that just set a new floor or cap for those stats?


It sets a new cap. If you have 4 lives written on your character cards, that is your life value. If it is increased by 1, you do not receive additional life counter, but the next time you replenish your lives up to your life value, it will be 5 counters (or rather the big one representing 5). The same goes for the fate.


Correct for Life/Fate values. Increases your maximum, doesn't do anything "now".
For STR/CFT you don't get any counters, you just treat the number printed on your card as "+1".

So increasing any "value" never actually gets you a Counter of any kind (unless you use counters to track base STR/CFT as well).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.