Subject: (Infinite) loop rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr Wołoszun
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
Hello,

So far I've played Bug 4 times on 3x3 hex board. In one of our games, we have an infinite "loop" situation. I have only one legal place where I was able to place 1-size bug, then opponent places 1size bug, he ate my bug, was not able to grow, and then "loop" starts over and over again.

What should we do in such a situation? Count bugs/pieces on board or just announce a draw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwoloszun wrote:
In one of our games, we have an infinite "loop" situation. I have only one legal place where I was able to place 1-size bug, then opponent places 1size bug, he ate my bug, was not able to grow, and then "loop" starts over and over again.

What should we do in such a situation? Count bugs/pieces on board or just announce a draw?

Interesting! Can you show the position? Here's an ASCII size 3 hexhex if it helps:

. . .
. . . .
. . . . .
. . . .
. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hanf
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pwoloszun wrote:
he ate my bug, was not able to grow

I don't understand; this does not seem possible.

The rules say "If eating would unavoidably force a bug to grow by more than 1 through a merger with another bug of the same color, no eating occurs."

So if you can't both eat and then grow into a space that won't cause a merger, then you can't eat! It says "...no eating occurs", not "...no growing occurs".

Does that help, or am I mistaken?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwoloszun wrote:
...then opponent places 1size bug, he ate my bug, was not able to grow, and then "loop" starts over and over again.

This is an illegal move by your opponent. The rules are explicit: The only reason he can not grow is that the growth would build up to a too huge bug. So the placement and the eating was illegal. If he has no other legal move, he has won!
I have not played myself, only read the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlhanf wrote:
pwoloszun wrote:
he ate my bug, was not able to grow

I don't understand; this does not seem possible.

The rules say "If eating would unavoidably force a bug to grow by more than 1 through a merger with another bug of the same color, no eating occurs."

So if you can't both eat and then grow into a space that won't cause a merger, then you can't eat! It says "...no eating occurs", not "...no growing occurs".

Does that help, or am I mistaken?

You're not mistaken; loops are impossible because of this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Wołoszun
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
karlhanf wrote:

Argh!!! MY BAD

You are right - I've misunderstood rules

Thank you for quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.