Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played miniatures games or RPGS, but my son really likes the look of such things when they are set out (see Kid likes 40k, I am lazy).

One of the suggestions was to try Frostgrave. It does appeal to me, but I am overwhelmed by the amount of stuff it would take to even try out the game. For example, the video I looked at [geekurl=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkqOV9G5uGY]video[/geekurl] makes it seem like I need a lot of stuff!

What do I really need, just to try it out in a convincing enough fashion that my son and I would know if we like it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriously, from the most basic level.... do you really need terrain? Can you draw or print stuff? etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use solo cups for towers, a ruler for a bridge - whatever you want! As long as it's 3 dimensional (and if you're willing to bend the rules, you could cut out paper like I used to do for Mechwarrior clix and play 2 dimentionally) you'd be doing away with climbing rules probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Osprey's website has free downloadable 2D terrain. Download. Print. Cut Out. Put on table. Play.

Frostgrave does require some terrain, though - whether it is solo cups, books, or something else. I bet your son has a few toys that could stand in as terrain, too!

If you wanted to go one step up from 2D terrain, there are many cardstock websites you can download whole terrain sets that you can print out in cardstock and assemble in 3D for games. They look pretty good and can be purchased cheap (compared to full-on resin terrain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said just let your imagination run wild for some terrain.There is lots that can be downloaded for free to print and make. Your son might also enjoy creating stuff from things around the house, Loo roll tubes for example are perfect towers. Or I bet he has some Lego, excellent potential there. Fimo modelling clay is another great material.
Give him some ideas and you may be pleasantly surprised at what he comes up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargame Vault has some free printable terrain that would work, and much more in the low cost category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And miniatures? What can I use that would look close enough to the game's intent that it would still be fun? That is, if I put in lego mini figs or something and say they are wizards, it wouldn't probably engage him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's only 8, you should play Heroscape with him instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:
And miniatures? What can I use that would look close enough to the game's intent that it would still be fun? That is, if I put in lego mini figs or something and say they are wizards, it wouldn't probably engage him.

Also on rpgnow.com you can find some printable miniature samples as well. Look at the free and pay-what-you-want sets.

As for terrain, although more for battlefields but still works for cities, put down some books, bowls, whatever and put down a sheet/old blanket to make hills and hide the top of the kitchen table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:

Really, I'd just print out a bunch of character images on cardstock that can be folded to stand up. In a pinch, you could glue them to cardstock stands, or something bulkier, like buttons or something. That's if you want to go cheap as possible and still have something that looks like miniatures.

You should be able to find some awesome wizard/archer/spearman images - again - print, cut, and play.

The figures really do make the game - for a person with not a lot of time, you could buy some AD&D prepainted figures. Not super cheap, but not super expensive, either. And use cardstock images for any creatures. Heroscape should also work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Or even better, Heroquest!!

Frostgrave is a really fun game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:
quozl wrote:

Or even better, Heroquest!!

Frostgrave is a really fun game

Heroquest would be good too but he owns Heroscape and there's nothing like the maps you can make with Heroscape. I love Frostgrave but I think an 8-year old would love Heroscape the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My boys like Frostgrave a bunch - we make terrain and paint random minis. Without too much investment you can do a ton with Osprey's game books.

We also play with Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes - very easy to grasp.

You can buy a whole bag of model train trees and use paper towel rolls as pillars (paint them if you like).

Cereal boxes make lots of great terrain if you use a little glue and paint.

Models from most any mini game can be used - you can get lots of used Heroclix type models in bulk lots if you keep your eye open - but paper works in the interim.

Just have fun! I think we like building and painting almost as much as playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:
I have not played miniatures games or RPGS, but my son really likes the look of such things when they are set out (see Kid likes 40k, I am lazy).

One of the suggestions was to try Frostgrave. It does appeal to me, but I am overwhelmed by the amount of stuff it would take to even try out the game. For example, the video I looked at [geekurl=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkqOV9G5uGY]video[/geekurl] makes it seem like I need a lot of stuff!

What do I really need, just to try it out in a convincing enough fashion that my son and I would know if we like it?

Lucky for you, the Arena of the Planeswalkers games are on deep discount just about everywhere right now - as cheap as $4! You get 30 or so miniatures in each box. A few sets should get you up and running for two warbands and a decent selection of scenario/random monsters.

And it's Christmas clearance time, so you still might be able to find some good terrain items like snowy trees and ceramic buildings. Also keep an eye out in thrift stores for sets of wooden or foam blocks. With a few bottles of cheap craft paint and some blocks, even the least crafty person can easily fill out a table.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so here's another question... I know that miniatures gamers really love to have their minis actually reflect how they are equipped. For example, a thug spec'd out to have a hammer would have a mini with a hammer.

If I am using generic mini's for my war band, how do I account for different equipment?

If I use generic minis, should I attach them to some kind of 28mm base?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:
Okay, so here's another question... I know that miniatures gamers really love to have their minis actually reflect how they are equipped. For example, a thug spec'd out to have a hammer would have a mini with a hammer.

If I am using generic mini's for my war band, how do I account for different equipment?

If I use generic minis, should I attach them to some kind of 28mm base?

Most weapons (at least in the base rules) are pretty generic. Most soldiers will be armed with either a "hand weapon" or "two handed weapon" and those can be just about anything. If you have both archers and crossbowmen in your warband, you might want those to be WYSIWYG.

As for bases, there's no specified size or shape. Whatever works for the minis you're using. For the rebased Heroclix and AotP minis, I often use dollar store buttons. Coins are another popular choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterhit wrote:
We also play with Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes - very easy to grasp.

Absolutely. My son started playing this around age 8. Now (at 13) he's more into video games but I can still get a real game out of him now and then.

marcnelsonjr wrote:
As for bases, there's no specified size or shape. Whatever works for the minis you're using. For the rebased Heroclix and AotP minis, I often use dollar store buttons. Coins are another popular choice.

If I'm not using plastic bases (to match other figures or for a specific game rules requirements) I usually use fender washers. Gives some stability to the minis and you can put down a strip of sticky backed magnet tape in a plastic shoe box to keep them from bouncing around. And they are available in a variety of sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:

If I'm not using plastic bases (to match other figures or for a specific game rules requirements) I usually use fender washers. Gives some stability to the minis and you can put down a strip of sticky backed magnet tape in a plastic shoe box to keep them from bouncing around. And they are available in a variety of sizes.

Nice idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe5mc of Greensboro
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Frostgrave tries to take a pretty relaxed approached to everything. If you've got a set of blocks, or even a pile of rocks, you've got all the terrain you need to get you started. For minis - used whatever you've got. As long as you an your opponent can tell which is which, they don't need to fit the brief exactly.

One final thought - to get started - you might consider picking up the Dark Alchemy supplement (which can either be bought as a cheap ebook or as part of the Frostgrave Folio). This gives you a 3 scenario campaign that you can play co-op (or solo), might be a good way to easy your son in if you play the first few games on the same team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe5mc wrote:
One final thought - to get started - you might consider picking up the Dark Alchemy supplement (which can either be bought as a cheap ebook or as part of the Frostgrave Folio). This gives you a 3 scenario campaign that you can play co-op (or solo), might be a good way to easy your son in if you play the first few games on the same team.

I like that idea. Team play would be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Harriman
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
An example of a male Post-American Croach (Periplanta oithicus), in the traditional garb of his people. His afro and false beard mark him as a priest of Boss Rob.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll second the galvanized steel washers, they really simplify storage, and add a satisfying heft to light/small figures; just don’t deburr them, as removing the zinc will allow the steel to eventually rust (some of my early minis can attest to this).

I have a possible suggestion for later on: They aren’t as cheap as paper standees, but 15mm warbands tend to be much less expensive than a 28mm ones and easier to store. My group is going to use them since we live in smallish apartments, and the compact nature of the miniatures and terrain is useful to us.

The figures we’re using are mostly from Splintered Light http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/enwa.html and Ral Partha Europe. http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/blighthaven-15mm-warba...
And I’m also in the process of assembling scaled down versions of Dave Graffam’s 28mm paper terrain. http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/2985/Dave-Graffam-Mod... They aren’t free, but they’re nice, and designed to be built easily, which is important when working in this scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.