5 Posts

Stronghold (2nd edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Recommendations for first game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bad Mojo
msg tools
mbmb
I am going to play my first game of Stronghold 2nd Ed. tonight. What mechanics or features should I remove during my learning session? I heard some of the additions make it a little random and clunky, but don't know what those changes are.

Also, any tips on how learn well and what to watch or for as easy misunderstandings or mistakes?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreu P.
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the original version, so I can't really compare, but the randomness level of the game is low and only concerns siege/defense machines.

As for what to keep in mind, make sure that both players completely understand the win condition before explaining anything else. Then proceed with all invader actions in order, defender actions at each building, what happens at the end of the round and finally talk about the extra cards (defense plans and... whatever the name is for invader's). Nothing needs to be removed even if it's an introductory game.

We had some trouble with traps and hero orders in our first game; just remember that traps remain active (and face up) for the entire game once they trigger and that each hero may use only one order per round. Also remember that defender's cards are secret and can be used anytime, but invader's cards are visible and must be resolved as soon as the condition is met.

I strongly recommend downloading the Universal Head Rules Summary from the files section and keeping it nearby, because it contains everything you need to know in a simple and concise way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Mojo
msg tools
mbmb
Thans for the info! I will download that file now. I did watch the "How to Play" video, but it was a little long and confusing. Will it take me 40 minutes to teach?!

For clarification, do we simply perform each card the Attacker has laid out? Then the defender uses each Time piece to respond?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
badge
weaving waves of air
mbmbmbmbmb
the invader will play a card moving from left to right, they may skip any cards they wish but cannot play on a card they have already skipped over. After each play by the invader the defender gets a turn using the hourglasses the invaders created on thier turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the faq and download some good files from the bgg.

Watching the video is an awesome addition AFTER reading the rulebook.

And the video teachs you to play both sides, and you are only going to explain 1 side to your friend, so explaining will take half of the video time heheh. The game is pretty simple to play, but there is tons of minor rules here and there.

Have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.