Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

While reading the new rulebook, I stumbled upon the rules for Armour Checks.

In the gameplay example on page 15, Armour Checks are rolled against the injured models' armour stat.

In the main rules on page 43, Armour Checks are explained as followed: "An Armour Check is a normal 3 dice test, but the target number is equal to the damage received."

As a long-time Dreadball player I'm used to the ruling given in the gameplay example and I believe the main rules to be wrong here.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your confusion as when I read your post I was also thinking that could not be right. But then after a few minutes it hit me the right way to read this which if I would have looked at the formula wouldn't have taken me as long. The target number is the number normally shown as (X) when doing checks. It is not the number needed to roll for a dice to be a success, but the number of successes you need to pass the test. To take the test (Armor check) you roll three dice against your armor stat (Armor Test) and compare the number of successes to the damage received (Damage).

Armor Check: Armor Test (Damage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Walsh
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that sentence on page 43 by itself is worded oddly. But, with the supplemental Armour test box under that sentence, what they're describing appears to me to be the same as the example on 15.

On its own, that sentence is definitely confusing. The way it is worded sounds to me like I would roll 3 dice and a success would be whatever the potential damage I would take. (I have to do an Armour Check against 2 damage, so I'd roll 3 die and a success would be 2+)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rincewind76 wrote:
On its own, that sentence is definitely confusing. The way it is worded sounds to me like I would roll 3 dice and a success would be whatever the potential damage I would take. (I have to do an Armour Check against 2 damage, so I'd roll 3 die and a success would be 2+)
My thoughts exactly.

So the rules are the same as in Dreadball 1st edition, right? The difference between the attackers and the defenders successes is the ammount of wounds the defender has to block with the armour check (if the attackers successes outrank the defenders'). The armour check is a 3 dice roll against the defenders' armour stat. Every success geds rid of a wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Walsh
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
rincewind76 wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

So the rules are the same as in Dreadball 1st edition, right? The difference between the attackers and the defenders successes is the ammount of wounds the defender has to block with the armour check (if the attackers successes outrank the defenders'). The armour check is a 3 dice roll against the defenders' armour stat. Every success geds rid of a wound.

Yep, it's the same as in 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.