Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tips and tricks on how to get Independent Goo’s in two players games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Warisgood23
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Honestly this has been a struggle for me in two player games besides just being tcho tcho and getting two goos for what feel like the only real way I’ve been able to introduce them. Me and my friends love the chaos of it all but I want to put more Grey on the map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cottonmouthmonster wrote:
Honestly this has been a struggle for me in two player games besides just being tcho tcho and getting two goos for what feel like the only real way I’ve been able to introduce them. Me and my friends love the chaos of it all but I want to put more Grey on the map!

Have you tried just adding 2-4 IGOOs in a (Omega rules) 2-player game and seeing how it turned out? What worked? What didn't? Why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Warisgood23
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
What do you mean? They already start out on map or what reference are you making with(omega rules)? A rule or variation, like not having your faction goo as a requirement would be nice. Far as I can tell late game Igoo summon requirement needs your faction goo whereas that initial cost prevents you really making a decision towards an independence goo. This has been the case for most of my experience with two player games. Unless your have about 14-16 power and try to rely on the decay meter maybe.please any ideas cause I want to figure this out before os3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well IGOOs only require your GOO and typically 4 power to summon, no? Is that really such an obstacle? They’re like expensive monsters (spawn of yog sothoth?)

I guess I just don’t understand the problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Warisgood23
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
But right there is my argument and dilemma. Granted a 4 power monster/IGOO with synergy for your faction but I would argue, for 2 player games to either move and get another gate or build one for that much closer on the doom track. Right now it’s safe to say I’m still trying to find the best combinations for which faction etc. A great article I read on that forget the name but you’ll find it in the strategy section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gates in 2-player don't grant you Doom aside from Rituals, and excess Power can easily be lost to decay. In that light, I would think an Indie GOO is actually more attractive in 2-player, but that's something I don't have any actual experience with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But right there is my argument and dilemma. Granted a 4 power monster/IGOO with synergy for your faction but I would argue, for 2 player games to either move and get another gate or build one for that much closer on the doom track. Right now it’s safe to say I’m still trying to find the best combinations for which faction etc. A great article I read on that forget the name but you’ll find it in the strategy section.

But isn't that part of the beauty of the game and strategy? Short term sacrifice for long-term gains? Should I build a gate? Or summon monster to protect my existing gate?

Besides, a 2-player game doesn't grant you doom from gates. You can ritual for doom, but if you have a Great Old One, independent or otherwise, you get an ELDER SIGN for performing a Ritual... 1 doom vs. 1-3 secret doom. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Try it. Switch up your strategy that prevents you from getting an independent and see how it goes. You might lose a gate in the round you summon an independent, but next round? You could probably take gates AND get elder signs from ritualing.

Decay is the great leveler in 2-player... you don't have to fear spending power too quickly. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Warisgood23
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I agree to each and their own strategy. But I do not believe you gain an elder sign for the IGOO only for faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree to each and their own strategy. But I do not believe you gain an elder sign for the IGOO only for faction.

If not, I must’ve missed that rules update. Either way, some IGOOs provide their own alternative means of victory. How is 2-player any different than 3+ player in terms of including IGOOs? What’s so different that your go for an IGOO in 3+, but go for a gate in 2-player?

If anything, 2-player is much more battle-centric and so
IGOOs would help a lot in that front. =) The only thing I might change is some of the rules regarding IGOO abilities or victory conditions. 2-player has a lot of the bigger endeavors cut in half like D6 rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.