Hide
15 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Worst possible Pandemic Legacy campaign? (Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew M
msg tools
So what would be the worst possible campaign of Pandemic Legacy? Obviously you lose 24 games in a row and as much of the world as possible is lost, but is there a "best" way to lose horribly?

How much of the world can fall/be faded?
How can you minimize the effectiveness of upgrades?
Can the traitor be dead before they turn on you?
What's the lowest score you can possible achieve?

Would it even be possible to win the final game if every city was faded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tomorrowboy wrote:
Can the traitor be dead before they turn on you?

I think for this to actually be possible, ALL military characters have to be lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
48 cities can outbreak 5 times each for a total of 240 unique outbreak chances (a 6th outbreak doesn't change the panic level).

24 games lost when 8 cities outbreak gives 192 outbreaks assuming every game is lost that way.

Assuming all outbreaks are unique you could have every city on the board at panic level 4 (4 times 48 is 192). Or you could have 38 cities at panic level 5 plus an additional city at panic level 2.

Either of those scenarios would be a brutal board to move around on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Score wise, the worst possible outcome is:

24 losses, 0 points
48 non-vaccinated faded cities, 0 points
3 bonus opportunities missed, 0 points
Open package 8, -100 points
Team Bravo helps, -200 points.

Total score, -300

Although technically the scale doesn't really go below 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nuclear Option can give you a bonus Fallen city. Creative use of roadblocks can also allow panic to increase without advancing the Outbreak marker, so you can theoretically end with an entirely Fallen board.

It's probably worse to end up with 10 Lost characters and one that was never found - I don't have my copy to check, but my recollection is that you have to complete the relevant Search before you can play the Virologist (Team Bravo will unlock the Immunologist if you don't).

You may have several months where you can't actually make any upgrades - until you unlock Equipment, Unfunded Events are the only upgrade that's guaranteed to be available (character upgrades usually are, but not if you've Lost every character that started the previous game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
iamzimmer wrote:
I think for this to actually be possible, ALL military characters have to be lost.

Nothing in the rules says that Sagittarius can't be a character who's already lost before you open Package 6!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
The Nuclear Option can give you a bonus Fallen city. Creative use of roadblocks can also allow panic to increase without advancing the Outbreak marker, so you can theoretically end with an entirely Fallen board.

It's probably worse to end up with 10 Lost characters and one that was never found - I don't have my copy to check, but my recollection is that you have to complete the relevant Search before you can play the Virologist (Team Bravo will unlock the Immunologist if you don't).

You may have several months where you can't actually make any upgrades - until you unlock Equipment, Unfunded Events are the only upgrade that's guaranteed to be available (character upgrades usually are, but not if you've Lost every character that started the previous game).

Good point, although this definitely begins to get into playing poorly intentionally although even my example is pretty much impossible unless you're completely negligent (and 'lucky' in that each outbreak must be unique).

The game gives you 15 permanent roadblocks and 19 roadblock tokens, but there are nearly 90 connection lines on the board. Still have ing a third of the world fallen and roadblocked, even if you had the right cards and a full hand you could only drive/ferry twice before running out of cards. You could burn through the player deck (48 cities and 10 funding) in fewer than 20 drive/ferry actions.

There are definitely ways to minimize or really neutralize upgrades as well as by choosing certain upgrades or using certain upgrades on certain characters. Or hell, giving upgrades to a character that you lose or just don't ever use again.

Doesn't sound like anything I want to experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
iamzimmer wrote:

Nothing in the rules says that Sagittarius can't be a character who's already lost before you open Package 6!

When a character is Lost, you rip up their card. The game does not have you keep a record of who receives upgrades, so there is no record of who had the Paramilitary Upgrade. If you there were multiple Lost characters, you may not be able to tell who had what.

Likewise if all military characters are lost, you would not be able to select based on the birthday method because you can't check when their birthdays are anymore. (Their character cards should also be ripped up.)

The game doesn't have a back-up "what if you can't select someone" because that is an absurd situation. I can't imagine anyone unintentionally actually being in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
lithy wrote:
The game gives you 15 permanent roadblocks and 19 roadblock tokens, but there are nearly 90 connection lines on the board.

An "expert bad player" would roadblock a different part of the board each game, letting the cities there Fall before moving on to wreck somewhere else next time. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
msg tools
lithy wrote:

48 non-vaccinated faded cities, 0 points

I'm pretty sure there are only 45 faded stickers, so three cities would end up unfaded.

There are also only 42 vaccine stickers, so it would theoretically be possible to have an objective you could not complete in December.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
msg tools
Also, I counted the number of stickers available for each level of city panic.

1. Unstable: 48 (enough for every city)
2. Rioting: 34
3. Rioting: 34
4. Collapsing: 27
5: Fallen: 20

I think that means that after 163 outbreaks (some point in game 21?) things would stop getting worse because you had run out of stickers. (Unless you acquired another copy's left over stickers.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I had completely forgotten to think if there were even enough stickers to accomplish what we were talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
For certain resources, the rules state what to do when they run out. (Often, either re-use an existing one; sometimes stop being able to do more of that thing, or you lose, or whatever.)

It might be reasonable to rule that anything else isn't limited by the rules is supposed to be unlimited even if they provide finite components. I doubt it's ever come up in a real game, but my suspicion is that if you ran out of Faded City stickers, or panic level stickers, or similar, you just scribble on the board instead.

(This is stated explicitly for population levels in Season Two.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Lozano
France
Saint-Etienne
flag msg tools
Trying to find time to paint...
badge
...but translating all day long !
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I am waiting for one guy to create a timelapse of "the worst Pandemic Legacy campaign ever" to show up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
msg tools
Okay, so it's not a timelapse, but I have created a (very) simple Pandemic Legacy simulator using Twine. (In part because I've never made anything in Twine and thought I could try.)

You can check it out here.

What does it do?
Simulates 24 individual games of Pandemic Legacy: Season One
Ends every game with eight (random) Outbreaks
Tracks cities with no Outbreaks
Tracks Panic Level of each city
Tracks which disease is uncurable
Tracks Faded vs Unfaded cities
Allows you to randomly nuke a city after game 24

What does it not do?
Pay attention to characters or scars
Use roadblocks or any upgrades

After running it a bunch of times I think it works okay? Cities ending the game with no oubreaks is fairly common. I also once had a game end in which a city had no Outbreaks, was Unfaded, and wasn't nuked! I can only assume that Paris was very happy living under their grand leader Napoléon de Gaulle as London and Essen fell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.