5 Posts

DOOM: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question: 180 degree shooting from cover rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Jaroš
msg tools
Hi,
I've received Doom as gift for Xmas and our group got a little stuck on covers and LOS. We solved pretty much everything except this concept:

D_____
++++A

In above case attacker is by the end of the wall by one corner of his tile.
Does it mean, that he has not only LOS but also deffender is not covered at all?

Thanks in advance!
Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten_s_Katanou wrote:
Hi,
I've received Doom as gift for Xmas and our group got a little stuck on covers and LOS. We solved pretty much everything except this concept:

D_____
++++A

In above case attacker is by the end of the wall by one corner of his tile.
Does it mean, that he has not only LOS but also deffender is not covered at all?

Thanks in advance!
Adam

You are correct, there is LOS and no cover...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yup. Anytime an attacker is on the edge of a wall like that they can shoot around it. Think of it, thematically, as them just poking around the corner to pop a shot off and then dropping back behind cover.

Technically speaking, to determine whether they have LoS and/or if the defender has cover in this situation, you would draw a line from the top-right corner of the attacker's square (the end of the wall) to each corner of the Defender's square; none of those lines crosses a wall so the attacker has LoS and the defender has no cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blurpy RABID
United States
flag msg tools
mb
demax51 wrote:
Yup. Anytime an attacker is on the edge of a wall like that they can shoot around it. Think of it, thematically, as them just poking around the corner to pop a shot off and then dropping back behind cover.

Technically speaking, to determine whether they have LoS and/or if the defender has cover in this situation, you would draw a line from the top-left corner of the attacker's square (the end of the wall) to each corner of the Defender's square; none of those lines crosses a wall so the attacker has LoS and the defender has no cover.

Wait a sec... Maybe I'm having some kind of mental block here, but this ruling feels goofy. I believe that the Defender DOES have Cover in this scenario. Please allow me to explain myself...

So the OP posted a scenario that looks like this:

D_____
++++A

But my interpretation of OP's description is more like this:

+|
D|____
++++A

This shows that the Defender (D) is standing at a corner, with the Attacker (A) being 4 spaces away (horizontally, in this orientation). The length of the horizontal wall (which I presume is either a solid red lined corner or an actual corner on the map tile) in question runs collinearly with the two bottom corners of the Defender's space, as well as the two top corners of the Attacker's space.

My interpretation of this is that the Attacker has Line Of Sight of the Defender's two bottom corners, but cannot trace a line to the Defender's two top corners due to the wall. So in this case, the Defender would have Cover.

If the Defender were to be the Attacker in this same scenario, however, he'd have full Line Of Sight of all 4 corners of his target's space by tracing his LoS lines from his lower-right corner. This would prevent his target from having Cover, as he's effectively peeking around the corner to take his shots. He remains in Cover, and his target is totally exposed with nothing to hide behind.

Even if the Defender was standing at a point where a solid red line on the map tile terminated right next to him (a la how OP originally illustrated it), I'd still figure that the Defender would have Cover. Let's look at it again...
++++++++
+++D++++
+++++++A

NOTE: The "+" characters represent valid spaces that a figure can stand on.

If the Attacker's tracing its LoS lines from its upper-left corner, it can only draw uninterrupted imaginary lines to the Defender's two bottom corners. Even though the Attacker's two upper corners are collinear with the adjacent solid red line, the Attacking figure itself is still "below" the solid red line on the map tile.

Sure, one can argue that since the Attacker is drawing its imaginary lines from a point that's collinear with the solid red line here, then it can draw uninterrupted lines to all 4 corners of the Defender's space. Technically, that would be an accurate assessment, though I feel that's twisting the rules a bit too hard just to deny the Defender from having Cover.

My argument against that point is that the Attacker can't just "no-clip" through the solid red line and make its attack. The solid red line represents an Obstacle, like a solid divider wall or some other tall, imposing object that cuts off both Line Of Sight AND movement. I'd rule that the Attacker's LoS lines may originate from the upper corners of its space, but they're not allowed to be traced "north" of the red line 'cuz it's an Obstacle.

The Defender is peeking out around this divider wall-like Obstacle, and the Attacker is attempting to take shots at the partially-exposed target. The Defender's entire body isn't exposed, so he's got Cover.

If the Attacker was "above" the red solid line, then he'd have a clear shot and the Defender would have no cover whatsoever.

If I'm missing something here and I'm rambling about something else entirely, please correct me. I'm not 100% sure if I'm interpreting OP's original scenario correctly 'cuz two people saying that the Defender doesn't have Cover in this scenario feels wonky to me. XP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My apologies, I think the confusion derived from me mistakenly writing "top-left" in my post instead of the (correct) "top-right." When you draw LoS from the top-right corner of the attacker's square to each of the defender's corners, no walls are crossed, and thus the defender has no cover.

If the line of sight were drawn from the top-left corner, as I mistakenly stated originally, you'd be exactly right. But in this case, as I should have said originally, LoS is drawn from the top-right corner (again, as if the attacker is peaking around the corner to make the shot). I've edited my first post to reflect that correction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.