Subject: Will a monster move onto a trap if it will kill it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
luke smith
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
So assuming I have all the other rules correct, and the only way for a monster to gain focus on its target is to move onto a trap, will it do so, if that trap will kill it.

For example, the Archers laid traps in front of them (closest to their enemy, which was us). Next action they have to move and attack. They couldn't actually get into attack range, but they still moved toward us (Am I wrong here?). The only way to move closer was through the trap, which caused it to take 2 damage and die.

Should it have moved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, assuming all other rules are correct, they will move and kill themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
if there was absolutely no other path to get to a hex within range to attack an enemy (any enemy), even if such a path was 100 hexes long, then yes, they would step onto a trap.
(assuming there was actually an unoccupied hex from which they could make an attack. if there wasn't, then they would not gain focus at all and would not move)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burns
United Kingdom
Hazlemere, High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Yes, assuming all other rules are correct, they will move and kill themselves.

Yep those are some stupid archers, making a trap and then stepping on it themselves :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Moore
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
JayJ79 wrote:
if there wasn't, then they would not gain focus at all and would not move)

if they cant make the range, they still move closer for next turn. (or maybe I misunderstood you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lorddog wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
if there wasn't, then they would not gain focus at all and would not move)

if they cant make the range, they still move closer for next turn. (or maybe I misunderstood you)

if there is an open path to a hex that would put them within their attack range, then yes, they would move toward it (even if they don't have enough movement to reach that hex this turn).

But if there is not such a hex open, or there is not an open path (i.e. if the way is blocked by an invisible character standing in a doorway), then they would not move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Moore
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
JayJ79 wrote:
(i.e. if the way is blocked by an invisible character standing in a doorway), then they would not move

I highly doubt an invisible char can cause a monster not to gain focus and move. only if they are up against the invisible character would they stop moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Roaas
Norway
Kongsberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddog wrote:
I highly doubt an invisible char can cause a monster not to gain focus and move. only if they are up against the invisible character would they stop moving.

If an invisible character was standing in a doorway, then the monsters could be unable to reach a hex where they could attack anyone, and would so stay put, as they would not be able to find a focus. Placing an invisible character in a doorway is the Famous Gloomhaven Cheese.
If the monsters for example were melee attackers without fly or jump they would not move. (And no, they wouldn't "move up to" the invisible character.)
There are many, many threads discussing this particular cheese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trondster wrote:
lorddog wrote:

If an invisible character was standing in a doorway, then the monsters could be unable to reach a hex where they could attack anyone, and would so stay put, as they would not be able to find a focus. Placing an invisible character in a doorway is the Famous Gloomhaven Cheese.
If the monsters for example were melee attackers without fly or jump they would not move. (And no, they wouldn't "move up to" the invisible character.)
There are many, many threads discussing this particular cheese.

It's not cheese. And it's not always useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trondster wrote:
Placing an invisible character in a doorway is the Famous Gloomhaven Cheese.

And cheese is often paired with wine.
or people whining about effective tactics.

then again, back in the days where I played M:tG, I whined about all the lame red direct damage decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddog wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
(i.e. if the way is blocked by an invisible character standing in a doorway), then they would not move

As Trond said, this is a well discussed topic. There may even be a direct answer in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to think of it is that monsters plan movement and choose focus at though traps (and hazardous terrain) cost a very large, but finite, amount of movement per hex to cross (say a thousand hexes) - so they'll go around if possible, or through if absolutely necessary, but even then, they'll minimise the number of such hexes they need to enter.

Having chosen their path, they'll follow it, even if it kills them.

Of course, flying/jumping monsters ignore all this (except for a jumping monster's end-space).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.