12 Posts

Space Empires: Close Encounters» Forums » General

Subject: Counter Organization rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finally picked up Space Empires and Close Encounters...the real work begins and im about to start clipping and organizing counters. Should i make it a point to keep any/all counters seperate from the base game and expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No - I'd sort by player colour first, and further subdivide based on your method (by type or 2 types with trays, or basic/advanced/expansion_good/expansion_bad with bags).

However, assuming Close Encounters still has the spare counters in it, don't forget to keep them separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget to add room for Replicators when that comes out. Did you add that to your orders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe there are lots of spare counters which is where my concern came from. Even the extra exploration tiles i fear could throw off game balance with a possible skew in favorable or unfavorable random set up. I havent played any space empires yet. My main question would be if there are any Close Encounter specific counters that i would 100% only use in expansion play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its definately on my to buy list. Damn my need for complete sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schostoppa wrote:
I havent played any space empires yet. My main question would be if there are any Close Encounter specific counters that i would 100% only use in expansion play.

Sure, if you want to organize everything now but still keep base/expansion separate, just keep everything from base in one box and everything from CE in the other - in gameplay you will never need any counters from the other box, since CE includes the full counterset from the base game. All you'll have to bring over is the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh ya! Duh. I just read the description in the GMT games page for CE. It comes with a full set of thicker counters. You beat me ti the forums though. lol. Thanks for the input though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got the Base game and the CE expansion. I also have 5 gmt counter tray arriving in day or two.

So what I plan to do is to have one tray for each player color, or maybe 2 player per one tray, I will try to see what will be best.

But im uncertain what to do with all the counters from the CE expansion, should I just att all the extra ship with what was given in the base game?

I think not, becouse all the sudden I have two of everything, like two "SC-1" Doesent that screw up when keeping record on what fleet have what etc? I cant have two SC-1 out on the board at the same time?

So what is the think here, would love some extra info

Also all new space counters, should I throw them away? becouse what was given in the base set is exactly what I need to fill all players "home area" whit what should be there. If I mix in the CE counters, maybe someone gets two black holes, and someone get more plants etc.

So the simple question is, how to use CE counters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rahul Chandra
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest way is to leave the base game counters in the box as a spare set. You don't need both sets at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rchandra wrote:
The simplest way is to leave the base game counters in the box as a spare set. You don't need both sets at once.
Aha okej. So all counters from base set Ibleave as they are, and only use the expansion ones then. Is that was most people do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
rchandra wrote:
Aha okej. So all counters from base set Ibleave as they are, and only use the expansion ones then. Is that was most people do?

Probably. The "duplicate" counter sheets in CE were thicker REPLACEMENTS for the counters in the first edition of the base game. So, use one set or the other, but not both. Using the CE makes more sense because they they will match in thickness with the CE counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:
Tolchock wrote:
rchandra wrote:

Probably. The "duplicate" counter sheets in CE were thicker REPLACEMENTS for the counters in the first edition of the base game. So, use one set or the other, but not both. Using the CE makes more sense because they they will match in thickness with the CE counters.
okey thank you. I will put aside all counters from base game and only use CE counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.