eltrane
United States
flag msg tools
From the errata "attune" refers to the limitation of number and type of magic items you can include in a starting deck for a game. "Character Limitations" is a hard limit of magic items (on the back of the character sheet) your character can have in their pool of items to choose from before going on a quest--if you go over you have to decide which ones to get rid of.

In the rulebook, these meanings are completely swapped (p.26) I'm wondering if they got it wrong the first time, or they just decided to completely change it after further consideration. Either way its a major change I haven't seen mentioned here on the forums. (Could have missed it mentioned though.)

On a related note in the chart on p.26 it says a lvl 1 character can attune to 2 uncommon magic items. My question is, how would they get these if they can't draw from that deck until later? I suppose the level 1 character could join a higher level party and be gifted uncommon items by other members? Or perhaps further yet-to-be-released low level quests will give the chance to score a nice item?

Edit: Never mind, answered my own question. Obviously a 1st level character could be hanging out with a bunch of big shots so the average character level would be 4 or higher, thus giving him an uncommon item as reward when victorious.

Edit 2: Errata/FAQ link. http://dragonfirethegame.com/download/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eltrane wrote:
From the errata "attune" refers to the limitation of number and type of magic items you can include in a starting deck for a game. "Character Limitations" is a hard limit of magic items (on the back of the character sheet) your character can have in their pool of items to choose from before going on a quest--if you go over you have to decide which ones to get rid of.

In the rulebook, these meanings are completely swapped (p.26) I'm wondering if they got it wrong the first time, or they just decided to completely change it after further consideration. Either way its a major change I haven't seen mentioned here on the forums. (Could have missed it mentioned though.)

On a related note in the chart on p.26 it says a lvl 1 character can attune to 2 uncommon magic items. My question is, how would they get these if they can't draw from that deck until later? I suppose the level 1 character could join a higher level party and be gifted uncommon items by other members? Or perhaps further yet-to-be-released low level quests will give the chance to score a nice item?

Edit: Never mind, answered my own question. Obviously a 1st level character could be hanging out with a bunch of big shots so the average character level would be 4 or higher, thus giving him an uncommon item as reward when victorious.

To your first point about attune and character limitations, I don't see the discrepancy. In both cases, attune is talking about the allowed number of magic items based on item rarity while character limitations is talking about item restrictions for thematic reasons (for instance, wizard with arcane armor only and no shield).

To your second point, you can also play a higher difficulty level:
rules pg. 24 wrote:
A party can play any Adventure equal to their Party Level without modification. They can always attempt a higher Adventure Level, but that will often lead to defeat.

Edit: Rereading the Character Limitations section of the rules, I guess it could be worded better as it sounds like it's talking about attuning there. Is that what you're referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eltrane
United States
flag msg tools
Re: Errata/FAQ v.1 completely swaps meaning of "Attune" and "Character Limitations" for magic items
I'll post the different texts so its more clear:

Attune in rulebook, which includes in the definition how many types of items you can carry around outside the quest:

"Second, a player can only “attune” (i.e., control and use) to
a number of Magic Items based on their Character Level, as
shown on that table. A Level 3 character can only attune to two
Uncommon Magic Items. If that character completes a new
Adventure, they will draw a new Uncommon Magic Item (as
well as a Common Magic Item). However, they must either
exchange that new item for one of the two items they already
control, or choose to return the drawn Uncommon to the
Magic Item Deck (if they decide they like their current items
more)."

So, if you draw beyond the attune limit even if not questing you have to either trade or discard one of the items.

Character limitations in rulebook:

"The back of each Character screen shows the maximum allowable Magic Items that can be controlled by that character and can
be used in a single game..."

So, I can take multiple items into a game as limited by the limitations on the back of the card.

Errata:

"Second, a player can only “attune” (i.e., control and use in a
game) a number of Magic Items based on their Character Level,
as shown on that table. However, a player can have access to a
number of Magic Items equal to their Character Limitations (see
the rules at bottom right). For example, a Level 3 character can
only attune two Uncommon Magic Items. If that character has
completed four all new Level 3 Adventures, they will draw a new
Uncommon Magic Item (as well as a Common Magic Item) each
time, which means they now have access to four Uncommon Magic Items, provided they do not violate the Character Limitations.
The player would write down those four items on the back of their
Character screen. But as they are still at Character Level 3, at the
start of any game they could only attune (i.e., control and use in a
game) two of those four items listed on the back of their character
screen; every game they can change which cards they’ll use in play.
If the receipt of new a Magic Item(s) would violate the Character
Limitations, they must either exchange the new item(s) for one
they have access to (i.e., changing what is written on the back of
their Character screen), or return the card(s) without changing
anything."

Here, the attune limit refers only to what you can carry into the quest, where in the rulebook it was character limitations. Here, the attune limit does't care what your character owns outside of the quest (when not playing); you can carry 4,5, whatever, Uncommon Items as long as you don't exceed the limitations on the back of the character card. So its the Character Limitations that force you to discard or trade with another player, not the attune limits.

Hope that makes sense.

And yep, I totally forgot a 1st lvl character could try to tackle a lvl 4 quest. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edit: Removed spoiler tags because I thought they shrunk the quotes like in other forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may help, from the dev blog:

http://dragonfirethegame.com/2017/08/16/a-healing-potion-a-c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the official errata/FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eltrane
United States
flag msg tools
Hmm, that pretty much goes with the rulebook.

"Now let’s say they play one more game and the player receives the Mithril Chain Shirt after completing an Adventure. The player couldn’t keep that Magic Item for two reasons. First, he currently can only attune to two Uncommon Magic Items. So if they could keep the card, they would need to trade in either the Summoning Gem or Master’s Longsword +1 to make sure they’re not exceeding that attunement limit."

Maybe I'm missing something still but going by the errata you would no longer need to discard/trade the Summoning Gem or the Master's Longsword as described in that blog post.

And sorry should have provided link to Errata/FAQ in original post. http://dragonfirethegame.com/download/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kessler
United States
California
flag msg tools
My understanding of the erratum is that the rulebook, as written, indicated that, if a character had an attunement limit of, say, 2 uncommon items, and already owned two uncommons, but then acquired a third uncommon by completing a campaign, she could not keep that third uncommon unless she surrendered one of her existing 2 uncommons by returning the card to the magic-items deck. (All of this assumes no conflict with the character limits on number of weapons, armors, etc.) But the erratum says that, in fact, the character can keep the third uncommon, by listing it on her character screen (and not returning it to the magic-items deck). All the attunement limit means is that, of the 3 uncommons that the character now owns (or "has access to"), she can only bring two of them on any given adventure. That does seem to me to be a (salutary) change from the rulebook, rather than a clarification of an ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beeman
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Houston, TX
badge
Little Light
mbmbmbmbmb
skkf wrote:
My understanding of the erratum is that the rulebook, as written, indicated that, if a character had an attunement limit of, say, 2 uncommon items, and already owned two uncommons, but then acquired a third uncommon by completing a campaign, she could not keep that third uncommon unless she surrendered one of her existing 2 uncommons by returning the card to the magic-items deck. (All of this assumes no conflict with the character limits on number of weapons, armors, etc.) But the erratum says that, in fact, the character can keep the third uncommon, by listing it on her character screen (and not returning it to the magic-items deck). All the attunement limit means is that, of the 3 uncommons that the character now owns (or "has access to"), she can only bring two of them on any given adventure. That does seem to me to be a (salutary) change from the rulebook, rather than a clarification of an ambiguity.

This is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eltrane
United States
flag msg tools
skkf wrote:

Well said. The change to attunement is a rule change rather than a clarification. I do agree its for the better as well.

One thing I did not realize when I first posted was that character limitations, as written in the rulebook, were in fact already a hard limit on what your character could own, period, not just a limit on what you could take into a quest, i.e. add to your deck. I was looking at it as only the latter. When I saw that the wording had basically been lifted from attunement and applied to character limitations in the faq, I assumed it was adding to the meaning of character limitations. But it wasn't, it was just making it more clear. So "swap" was the wrong word to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.