Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Started playing Gloomhaven 2nd ed like 1 month ago. I started with 2 characters, and played 5 games. While it was very fun and satisfying only playing with 2 heroes, my inner fantasy geek wanted a bigger party to adventure with.

So after 5 games, and getting a good grasp on the game, I added a 3rd.

Unfortunately adding a 3rd hero almost doubled my play time in the end.

One major reason is due to the all new monsters on the board. There are a considerable amount of more enemies constantly making moves.

Has anyone ever found a balancing by playing with 3 (or more) heroes but keep the monster setup restricted to just the 2 player setup, while increasing the difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DeWitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Trying to house rule something like this will be hard to balance.

Instead try using my website to manage monster health and abilities. I found it speeds up my playtime tremendously because I can manage all monster interaction on one screen (IPad works very well)

https://www.GloomhavenGuild.com

New Features video:
https://youtu.be/IreBmHWUCbU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DasGooch wrote:
Trying to house rule something like this will be hard to balance.

Instead try using my website to manage monster health and abilities. I found it speeds up my playtime tremendously because I can manage all monster interaction on one screen (IPad works very well)

https://www.GloomhavenGuild.com

New Features video:
https://youtu.be/IreBmHWUCbU

Is your website spoiler free? A quick glance indicated to me it wasn't so I stopped looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DeWitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Jjdelanoche wrote:

Is your website spoiler free? A quick glance indicated to me it wasn't so I stopped looking.

The website just gives monster stats and ability cards. When you first add monsters you may can see all monster images but I wouldnt say that’s a spoiler at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wait, there are MONSTERS in this game?
gee thanks for spoiling everything for me. sheesh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
I saw all the monster pictures when punching out the sheets. Since the game was ruined I tossed it in the dumpster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grove123 wrote:
Started playing Gloomhaven 2nd ed like 1 month ago. I started with 2 characters, and played 5 games. While it was very fun and satisfying only playing with 2 heroes, my inner fantasy geek wanted a bigger party to adventure with.

So after 5 games, and getting a good grasp on the game, I added a 3rd.

Unfortunately adding a 3rd hero almost doubled my play time in the end.

One major reason is due to the all new monsters on the board. There are a considerable amount of more enemies constantly making moves.

Has anyone ever found a balancing by playing with 3 (or more) heroes but keep the monster setup restricted to just the 2 player setup, while increasing the difficulty?

I tried this on a session I was replaying just to get a treasure chest and it was too easy for me. Sometimes the next level for a monster just increases a single stat by 1 and maybe 1-2 more HP and nothing else. I feel like you'd have to go at least 2 levels up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baker
msg tools
There’s a suggested rule for playing with 5 characters: use the 4-character setup and raise the monster levels and trap damage by 2 (but not the bonus XP/gold scaling). I would try the same approach if you want to do 3 characters with the 2-character setup, but I have no idea how well that will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.