6 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Core game builds for Gold Smoke Knight [spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm about to reach the GSK and I'm wondering just how I'm going to break through his 27 toughness. I'm considering the following builds:

Red Charm dagger user: Red charm lets me ignore the knight's bonkers toughness which is obviously a good thing. Pair it with daggers because A) daggers have a lot of red affinity and are good at landing a bunch of hits if you put them on a high accuracy character. The specialization lets you discard a nasty location, and they can generate survival for you. I think I'd equip the character with leather armor. Lion armor gives me one more speed, but leather armor is better in pretty much every other respect...

Blue Savior: This is obvious enough, stick a Zanbato on a blue savior aand get a few guaranteed wounds. She'll use her savior ability to age herself into getting her secret fighting art, and then use that for a few more wounds when I can get a stack of 2 or 3 crit locations.

Strong guy: This character's goal is to just straight up punch through knight's toughness. They'd use phoenix armor and either a dragonslayer or oxidized lantern halberd. I'm kind of waffling between the two weapons. The slayer is stronger and devastating, but the halberd isn't fragile and can potentially disarm trap cards. I'm assuming I won't luck out and get a perfect slayer at this point.

Support: Standard hide in the corner with rawhide and scout the monster's decks character.

Has anyone here beaten the GSK without a bunch of expansion gear. I know there are some weapons you can use to get an arbitrarily high amount of strength, but as far as I can tell there's nothing like that in the core game.

Spoiling myself on the endings has kind taken some of the wind out of my sails. My population is high enough that I could lose every fight between me and the GSK and still field 4 people, and then it doesn't really make a difference whether I beat him or not. I'd still like to try though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
(Strategy forum: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/421590/kingdom-death-monster...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
Sweden
flag msg tools
Stop Poking!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clubs on Lantern armor reach enough strength to beat the GSK's toughness.

Otherwise the Counterweight Axe/Red Charm build is workable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have crafted an Hours Ring in LY30, so I have one (houserule)/endless (RAW) Free shots in the guy. I have lantern research lvl 5, Synchronized Strike on everyone but sucked in masteries (BUT: I have grand weapon mastery).

I will experiment in the first run with

Rogue (Str +7, Eva +1, Luck +1, King's Step, Immortal with 11 insanity): Lantern, Full Rawhide, CEC, Hours Ring, Dragon Slayer; he will mainly use CEC and will try to hit sometimes with a chance of >40% due to high Str).

Experimental DPS (6 Movement, King's Step): Lantern, Full Leather Armor, Red Charm, Cat Fang Knife, Scrap Shield - for the affinity; she shall ignore the high toughness and still hit with 50% chance thanks to red charm.

Pure Blue Savior(6 Blue affinities!): Lantern (too bad he can't use the final lantern), Full Screaming Armor, Luck Charm, Fecal Salve, Blue Charm; she shall attack only 1-2 times via F&T (considering to drop one affinities for a Zanbato, though) and then focus on Lucernaes Lantern too crit in 2-3 locations per time.

Berserker (+2 Acc, +6 Str, +1 Luck, Berserker + Bitter Frenzy): Final Lantern, Full Leather Armor, Beacon Shield, Monster Grease, Dragon Slayer; the main task is to bitter frenzy turn one and then attack with 2 Speed Dragon Slayer and the same hit chance as my rogue.

The whole strategy is to take him out as fast as possible for I won't stand many of his hits
My main concerns therefore are my low chances of reaction canceling. If it doesn't work out, I will focus on a more traditional team of pure Support, 2 Dragon slayer/Leather fighters and the blue savior, maybe with Zanbato and only 4 blue affinities.

What so you guys think of my thoughts? Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished the Core for the first time a few weeks ago. I didn't spoil myself but I had 4 survivors that I really Really REALLY lucked out. All were Ageless so I used the crap out of them...

2 Screaming Armor Oxidized Lantern and Oxidized Beacon Shield users with Axe and Spear mastery (well one didn't have Axe yet but it was ok). They both had +2 ACC, +6/7 STR, and +3 Eva. So yeah I was lucky with them. They didn't guarantee a wound but when I got the death die I was guaranteed one. I made sure they both had the deflect tokens up every time.

I then had a GW build in full screaming, with a dragon slayer. He had +5 STR but +3 ACC and Red Fist (helping all of us out).

My final one is where I wish I would of spoiled the fight for me. I took in my bow/support user, but I wish I took off the bow and arrows and went full support because he couldn't wound at all unless he had the death die.

It was a rough fight but man thankful for those shields because that kept me alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished him, rather easily if I'm honest.

My bitter frenzy Dragon Slayer fightress Hope swang loads of devastating hits on him. Selina, my Cat Fang Rogue did 3 hits (quite well, but it took a lot of effort to craft everything and I would rather have had a pure support dir the best time). My heroine was my blue Savior Nelicae, though. I slammed one lucky F&T hit on him to trigger age 2; then I went Lucernaes Lantern for 2 times, critting only once at first (but got rid of the trap this way) and full 3 times on the second run; leaving the poor melancholic knight down to his basic action, knocked down and waiting for Hope's death blow.

My final thoughts on the ending...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
All in all, I liked the fight - it's just the lack of narrative before and around it that bothered me. KD:M would have deserved a more climatic ending it leaves a sour after taste that this draining, crazy experience this first campaign had been to me, doesn't even grant me a different story event for winning it than for loosing it. A real bummer...sigh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.