Hide
8 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule clarification on monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Hall
msg tools
Hello all, I had a full play of the game the other day and one question arose that we couldnt decide on. If a monster spawns that a player has to fight due to a quest and they kill that monster, does normal monster spawn rules apply meaning I have to add another monster to the board face down at the nearest monster spawn of the same type? And if they dont kill it does it stay there and continue acting as the other monsters do?

In addition, we came across an issue. By the end of the game we werent fighting monsters at all. Actually we spent the majority of our time running away from them. It just seemed like there wasnt enough incentive to spend actions fighting monsters. The rewards arent enough, and the difficulties of some monsters are too high. One player tried to kill a super mutant about six times and died twice in those fights. Im debating adding a house rule that players fighting monsters wont spend an action point that round, which I think would encourage the player to fight if they have the opportunity. Has anyone else run in to this issue and tried the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
Draw and fight enemies are discarded after the fight, and you don’t spawn any additional.

Point two is trickier. As ever, it depends on the type of game you want. You can go for a combat oriented run by picking the Brotherhoid outcast and tooling up, but it seems to me that avoiding trouble is a key part of the game; using generally superior player speed to move around, maybe luring enemies towards opponents, or st least away from key locations. You also want to open up the board fast so there are more steps for enemies to take to get to you. Their relentless pursuit makes for a lot of pressure not to hang around high-yield settlements drawing encounters, so you really should be on the move a lot rather than grinding out fights, but also timing your run so they the enemies you might need to kill are not far off when you do need to claim a scalp or two. It’s a playstyle thing. Works for me. Had fun this evening with the ghoul, for whom a brisk jog through irradiated territory is actually a lifesaver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, in endgames, clock is ticking rather quick and I find it perfectly normal to do any other actions than fighting. I do grind when the game begins though. And those agressive monsters still can attack you often.

Don’t forget that you cannot do encounters if active monsters are in the same space, which is a good enough incentitive to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hall
msg tools
Ok thanks guys, that helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Clayton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hob69 wrote:
Draw and fight enemies are discarded after the fight, and you don’t spawn any additional.

Can anyone point to where this is found in the rule books? We have been playing you spawn an additional enemy everytime you kill one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Look in the RRG under the "Killed" section. I don't have the text in front of me to quote it, but the part on killing enemies explains it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

On page 8 of the Rules Reference:

Quote:
When instructed to “draw and fight” an enemy, the survivor
draws an enemy of the specified type from the supply,
resolves all steps of the fight with that enemy, and then
discards the enemy token.

Regardless if the enemy is killed or not, the token is discarded and not replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Clayton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Joe and Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.