Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geekquisition [+] [View All]
Shawn Hollon
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you ever decide that you are going to take a break from buying games? You know you have plenty to last many, many plays. And you tell yourself, "ENOUGH is ENOUGH".

And then you discover that gem, that one of a kind game (whether brand new or old game) you just stumbled across whilst watching gameplay videos or reading forums such as this and you think..."Just one more. It will be ok. It isn't harmimg anyone if i buy just this last one ".

And it continues...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey, but for $20 you cant beat that...I'm looking at you side bar always showing In the Year of the Dragon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I will EVER take a break, but now that my collection has gotten big and I have a better idea of what I do (not) like, I am definitely more discerning / research more before I pick something new up.

It's a cheap hobby, keeps your brain alive, enables face to face with real humans ... why would you ever stop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shollon9418s wrote:
Do you ever decide that you are going to take a break from buying games?

I bought so many from people on BGG after Christmas that I told my gf that I need to stop buying games until my birthday (mid-April). Part of the issue is actually storage space. I plan to stick to it, except for maybe Stuffed Fables

crazybyzantine wrote:
It's a cheap hobby

I wish...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
shollon9418s wrote:
"Just one more. It will be ok. It isn't harmimg anyone if i buy just this last one ".

Hmm, except in my case I usually buy 4-5 at a time to get to the free shipping threshold. I told myself I'd stop at 200, then 500, and now according to BGG, counting expansions, I'm at 1008 with 4 more on the way and at least a half dozen more full games that I want.

Space isn't a problem, but I do actually want to play these games, and when you own enough to play 2+ different games every day and have it take a couple of years to get through your collection it's probably time to change things up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Shannon
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Spread Joy
mb
After breaking the 100 games mark this year, adding about 40 games total, when I got Dragonfire, Viticulture, and Charterstone to close out 2017 I definitely did say "Enough." We'll see how long it lasts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I buy the Winsome Games collection every year and maybe 0-3 other titles. That's an automatic purchase. Some years nothing else, some years one other and some years two or three more. The game collection has fallen a fair bit from a peak of around 650 and is probably about 400-ish or a little lower now but that buying rate is pretty steady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make a commitment to not buy any more games in 2017!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every year after Christmas when I’ve gotten 4-8 new games I say I’m not going to buy any new games for awhile so we can focus on playing the new ones. This never actually happens.

But this year I really think I mean it. Between my just received Gloomhaven, my almost finished Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle, and my barely touched Mechs vs. Minions and Fabled Fruit from last Christmas I’m in the middle of a bunch of campaigns. Not to mention the half dozen or more regular games I bought last year I haven’t played very much. I seriously want to just play what I have. So the plan is just to keep up with The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and Arkham Horror: The Card Game and possibly expansions for games I already own and actively are playing. No new games. We’ll see how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Serneum wrote:
shollon9418s wrote:

[q="crazybyzantine"]It's a cheap hobby

I wish...

It is relative. My brother has spent a fortune on a boat, RV, and ATVs. I know people with season sports tickets that spend way more a year for those tickets than I do on games. I guess to be more correct, the statement should be, "It CAN be a cheap hobby, depending on how you go about it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan this year for non wargames is, one in, one out! I'm at a very generous number of games and I'm very happy with a bunch of games regardless if they get "bettered" or not.

But I don't want to say, no more new games! This is my hobby, if something amazing comes along, go for it, but just make space and make sure what goes out got a few plays first!

Wargames will take a couple more years I think, I have set aside a max number of spaces and divided it up between the categories I am interested in and it's most of the way there now, things should slow down a bit this year and I'm tired of so much research!

Long term I would think about 5-6 games a year feels about right, gradually improve the collection and only kick out games where I have something similar that does it better for me.

Cottage Garden is looking expendable now after my wife picked up Indian Summer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been helped by simply being tired of buying. I don't get that much out of new game purchases anymore. I prefer the comfortable, familiar and already completed. Games are best when I know the rules, have painted the miniatures, and already acquired the expansions. Time to just play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
shollon9418s wrote:
"Just one more. It will be ok. It isn't harmimg anyone if i buy just this last one ".

And it continues...

In my case it is "Just 3 or 4 more," so that I can meet the "free shipping" requirement. My short-term goal is not to buy any games until at least February. I'm not sure if I have the willpower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find in my case that more deliberate game buying is key. I have a list of games that I want and I'll wait to see if one of these show up at a great price (primarily through BGG Auctions, but also the occasional online sale).

I find that helps a lot. Since I'm not out buying games as soon as they come out or just because their available, the growth of my collection is slowed to a more steady pace. Plus, when I do get a game, it's one I've been waiting to get (so my anticipation/excitement due to delayed gratification is high) plus its one that I'm very confident that I wanted in the first place. The practice of looking for a deal also allows me to make the argument that I'm being frugal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Serneum wrote:

crazybyzantine wrote:
It's a cheap hobby

I wish...

I wish too, but i’ve already told this story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Arndts
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been gaming and buying modern board games for three years. Last year was one of the most expensive years for me, because I really discovered kickstarter. This year I'll probably get 1 or 2 games each month that I've already paid for!

I intend to buy less games in 2018 (at least less expensive games) and I will try to be more discerning. I no longer feel an urge to buy every game that sounds interesting. My wishlist used to be as long as my arm. Now there are maybe only one or two games I really want to have. And it helps that I have a dozens of games in my collection I am eager to play more. This past year I've played a lot of games that were new to me and few excited me enough to want to own them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it is far more prudent to
(1) do not be impulsive
(2) only allot yourself X amount each month
(3)ear mark the games you already know you will purchase and stick to it.

For me my list is short but yeah, I see some hidden gems popping up based on some lists from reviewers.

I am definitely getting

Batman Board game (KS this year)
CO2

Plus I am planning culling my collection this year to make room for new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvioze wrote:
Serneum wrote:

crazybyzantine wrote:
It's a cheap hobby

I wish...

I wish too, but i’ve already told this story.

Edit: It's a comparatively cheap hobby when amortized per hour of entertainment

Better? For me I buy recent games secondhand (no must-have KS cult of the new) and I avoid lifestyle games (though I get gobs of clix and other figures, and terrain). Always cheaper than remodeling, an RV / boat / Harley / classic car, being a fine wine enthusiast, etc.

Now if I bought every flashy minis game on KS that made me go eww, and I was still into GW, or had gotten into Armada, my children would have no college fund!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Bob McJimmerson
msg tools
As much as I love the hobby, it's quickly becoming overkill with the massive influx of games coming out every month. I've noticed how games which are barely 2 months old become old news and very fast, so much so that games aren't getting the play time they deserve which is absolute madness. This is the year when I master and appreciate the games I have instead of buying a bunch of new one's and not mastering any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kryptom wrote:
This is the year when I master and appreciate the games I have instead of buying a bunch of new one's and not mastering any.

Hmm. I think those are called "Famous Last Words" ... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have those that already have plenty of games, plays them a little and JUST needs more and ends up with nothing being played properly.

And then you have those that actually PLAYS the ones they DO have and then JUST needs one more game. And then it turns out to be way too much really. And when it finally emerges to them, they realise they really do have too many games.

But then you have those that actually have plenty enough games already, but buys more because of the fact they like to expand on those they already DO have. And very much these are the games that tends to actually be played the most too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I keep seeing this sentiment more and more in podcasts and forums. People just seem to be reaching a new height in acquisition fatigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Party Hats wrote:
I feel like I keep seeing this sentiment more and more in podcasts and forums. People just seem to be reaching a new height in acquisition fatigue.

Peak game is nigh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Axford
United Kingdom
Stockport
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do feel that at ~70 games (some unplayed) I already have enough to explore for a long time. I try to be restrained but realistic, and I've managed to stick to a 'maximum 4 games per year' rule (excluding any cheap charity shop finds) for the past 2 years, so I aim to keep to the same this year. That's about the number of new releases that really grab my attention anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
shollon9418s wrote:
Do you ever decide that you are going to take a break from buying games? You know you have plenty to last many, many plays. And you tell yourself, "ENOUGH is ENOUGH".

As a matter of fact, no. I've never said that to myself because I know it wouldn't be true.

Although, that being said, I did recently recently have a child (just turned 1 over the holidays) and this past year, the spending on board games HAS dropped off significantly.... but not because I said enough was enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.