Hide
6 Posts

Dinosaur Island» Forums » Variants

Subject: Slightly different idea for solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Doyen
msg tools
I tend to prefer win conditions in solo games or a combination of win condition and points. I was wondering how the game might work if the win condition was completing all 7 objectives that you are dealt instead of discarding an objective if you fail to complete one in a round. You would still get the round bonus points for when you complete them. In my head, this would work similarly to how Terraforming Mars plays in that once you get really good at the game, winning isn't terribly hard but if you try to maximize your score, you make your chances of failure greater.

If anyone cares to try, or if this was an idea in play testing that ended up getting scrapped for whatever reason, I'd love to hear peoples thoughts and feedback. googoogoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance this sounds like a nice variant. I'll try it my next solo game and see how it feels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
I proposed something similar in another thread. I tried dealing myself 9 objectives (you need the other 7 for tracking rounds) and made it my goal to complete 7 of them before the end of turn seven discarding one objective any turn in which I didn't complete one. It was actually fairly easy to do since you can discard the objective least likely to be accomplished. Next time I'll try your idea and see if all 7 objectives dealt can be completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake G.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Has anyone else tried this out? Anyone with more feedback?

I'm on the fence about buying this game, it's currently in my basket... having a good win condition solo variant would seal the deal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played 6 solo games using this variant and each time it has been fairly easy to "win." I complete all objectives by round 5 or 6 at the latest and then the last turn or two is just maxing out points. I don't think I have any interest in playing this game solo anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kuentzler
msg tools
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27956132#27956132

This person on this thread has another solo variant. Check it out. Also, You can play solo for free on tabletopia if you want to try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.