Popular Tags: [View All]
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use this variant because some of my most fondest memories of Magic the Gathering is centered around all the time I spent constructing a deck more so than playing.

This variant is designed to allow 2 players to construct a deck in a pretty short amount of time. This variant scratches my itch of looking through some cards and constructing a deck in a short amount of time.

I never was a big fan of drafting.

Before beginning, organizing the cards is a must.

Separate the cards according to color.
Separate according to rarity. For rare cards remove duplicates, for the non-rares gather the duplicates into sets.
Separate the sets according to free and 1 gold cards.

Randomly or pick a player to go first.
1st player picks a color.
2nd player picks 2 colors from the 3 remaining.
1st player gets last color.

Each player picks 9 sets of cards for each color and 3 rares for each. When selecting the 9 sets they do so by selecting 3 sets of 3 free cards and 6 sets of 1 gold cards. From the rares they select 1 rare free card and 2 of the 1 gold rares.

Each player combines the two 1/2 decks, 30 cards each, to form their deck.

Once players are familiar with deck construction, different challenges can be made where the ratios are altered from the 50:50 split. An example would be 12 sets of 3 non-rare cards from one color and 6 sets from the other and 3 rares of one color and 3 rares of the other again following the 1 free for 2 1 gold rule.

Player can even change the number of rares as long as ratios are maintained. The challenge of this variant is that both players agree to follow the same ratios for constructing their decks. By agreeing to ratios before hand it reduces any potential error in deck construction.

Playing different ratios keeps the variant challenging as different cards become more or less useful at different ratios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Autistic Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you're trying to emulate sealed constructed. Just deal out 60 random, then build 30 card decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OdinofDuckies wrote:
Looks like you're trying to emulate sealed constructed. Just deal out 60 random, then build 30 card decks.

But... I don't want 60 random. The whole point of the variant is I enjoy picking and choosing which sets I want to include in a deck, which in turn allows a higher possibility of drawings cards that can combo off one another during a game.

Having only singletons does not feel as strategic during the deck construction phase. Rather than trying to build for combos that may trigger during the course of a game, I feel as though you just try to pick the 60 most powerful cards without much thought to the synergies between the cards. This is why I like having a cube as the basis for deck construction.

If I had deeper pockets, I'd maintain 2 cubes so 2 players could build whatever they desired without worrying about some card not being available, but because I only have 1 cube, I work with limitations of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Constructed is actually a lot less interesting if you restrict the "rare" cards, in my opinion. A lot of build-around-me cards like Drinker of Blood and Chamberlain Kark are "rare".

Of course if you are not going to do the rare thing, all you are really doing is "I'll build with good/evil, you build with sage/wild" for example. Which is fine. And actually a lot more simple than all the sorting and separating.

I like the idea of "drafting the colors" at the start though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Impaired Bear
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also really like the idea of drafting the colors at the beginning, we will definitely be using that.

What are 'rare' cards? Is there any iconography for it on the cards?

As 2p, we play: Separate colors then 0's and 1's. Deal 5 and 10 respectively of 2 colors to make a deck of 30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Alexidor wrote:
I also really like the idea of drafting the colors at the beginning, we will definitely be using that.

What are 'rare' cards? Is there any iconography for it on the cards?

As 2p, we play: Separate colors then 0's and 1's. Deal 5 and 10 respectively of 2 colors to make a deck of 30.

Fireball is an example. Note how the bottom right icon is red. It means you are only allowed 1 copy whereas the other cards you are allowed up to 3 copies. It is better explained in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.