Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I posted this thread in general gaming and was directed here, since y'all are definitely more knowledgeable than me when it comes to Chinese-language games.

I've been seeing this game on Chinese wholesale websites:

I LOVE the art, and the big chunky cards, and would love to add it to the collection. It's obviously a werewolf-style game, but there are hundreds of those and I haven't been able to find any English-language write-ups. Since a lot of these websites sell only bootlegged copies of games (and this one seems mighty suspicious at around $5-$10), it's likely this isn't the legit version.

After some sleuthing and responses in the other thread, I found what I believe is an official website for the app version of the game (with tournaments and everything):
http://langrensha.com/

And a crowdfunding campaign for making an oversized version of it (I think?): https://z.jd.com/project/details/78943.html

Can anyone give me more info about this game, or help me find where I might be able to purchase an official version of the game? While an English-language version would be amazing, I don't think it's likely. My group's played enough werewolf/mafia-style games I'm sure we could make do for art as gorgeous as this. I think I'd just rather buy an official version, if possible, rather than a bootleg (I'm finding them in with bootlegged versions of The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, so I worry these are fake as well).

more images!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Langrensha is just the Chinese name for Werewolves. It doesn't refer specifically to this variant.

Chinese Werewolves basically plays the same as Western versions (especially Miller's Hollow), but with these main rule changes:

1. Wolves can kill each other during the night.
2. Any wolf can choose to commit suicide at any point during the day's discussion. This immediately ends discussion for that day, and there is no vote to lynch another player.
3. Daytime discussion is not a free-for-all. One player, usually the sheriff, chooses a direction (clockwise/counter-clockwise), and each player speaks in that order, for a max of 2 minutes. You are not allowed to choose not to speak when it is your turn (but expect a lot of pointless comments, like 'I am not a werewolf' or 'I am good').
4. Voting is done with the numbered cards included in the game, not via pointing.

As for your desire to avoid pirated games, that is far from easy here, as you probably already realise. And there is a lot of grey area: there are many Werewolf versions knocking around that have just changed the artwork (or the shape of cards) a bit, and then are printed off ultra cheaply. Even major international hypermarkets sell this kind of variant for 10-15RMB, and of course they are widely available online. (Your game, for example, seems to have copied some of the card artwork from Werewolf, though the box is probably an original design.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sushi H
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The copy you showed is one of the many copycats versions of the game. In China, There are too many copies like this and they all slightly changed from The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow. I recommend you to buy the genuine copy of the game from Asmodee China.

This is their direct web shop on Tmall:
https://goo.gl/RVx4g9

And this would be the game you are looking for:
https://goo.gl/7YxbuW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.