Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
396 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

Arkham Horror» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Arkham Horror PBF 61: The Soul Is a Magician. Only Living Flesh Hampers It. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Some people call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.
mbmbmbmbmb
When moderating Arkham Horror, I'd like to set up a game for the person at the top of the waiting list, then invite the first four people capable of playing in a game of that type, and asking them the maximum number of people they're willing to play with, then inviting more players, if possible.

The first available person on the list was webspyder who said that he didn't care which expansions we used, but would prefer to play with five players. He also lists a preference for the American time zone. After skipping several people who were either from Europe, or had't logged in for months, I got to brunoreturns.

Based on the preferences of webspyder and burnoreturns, this will be a 5-player game using the Innsmouth Horror Lurker at the Threshold and Miskatonic Horror expansions, with Injuries and Madnesses, as well as basic components borrowed from other expansions.*

The initial post of this thread will borrow from the style of Duke of Earl. As I will be moderating in a text-based style, with simplistic imagery, my other posts will be similar to those of Daimbert (though with noticeably fewer pictures of characters from pop culture).

This game is by invitation only.
If you wish to participate, there is a waiting list here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/AH_PBF

Post Typography
* Normal text for discussions, etc.
* Italics for flavor text/fluff. This is optional, but encouraged.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions.

Images
Please use images in your post to identify your character when you post. It helps people keep track of who everyone is. You can find some banners for this and other games here: Play by Forum Banners

Subscribe to the thread!
I will usually refer to everyone by their character name and gender. Don't be offended by that.

For the sake of game speed, COs (Conditional Orders) are a great way to keep things moving along unless you check in frequently. Although I can't always promise to remember them.

I encourage all players to roll for themselves as much as possible, and give me as much information as they can about what they're doing and what the outcome is. It makes updating so much easier for me.

I tend to do updates, at least, once a day. I find that, in general, if all moves can be done inside of a day or two that helps move the game along and keeps me involved in it. If you can't do that, at least let me know what to expect.

To that end, discussion and even random chit-chat is encouraged. I find that everyone being involved in the thread helps move the game along.

*Game Type
This will be a 5-player game using the Innsmouth Horror, Lurker at the Threshold, and Miskatonic Horror expansions. That means that Personal Stories and Relationships are in play. We will also be using some components from other expansions as well. Here's the complete list of what we'll be using, from each expansion, this game:
From the Base Game, Innsmouth Horror, Lurker at the Threshold: Everything.
From Miskatonic Horror: All I+L, I, L, and M components, as well as the new Injuries and Madnesses.
From Dunwich Horror: Injuries and Madnesses, Common Items, Unique Items, Spells, Skills, Investigators, and possibly an Ancient One.
From All Other Expansions: Common Items, Unique Items, Spells, Skills, Investigators, and possibly an Ancient One.

Everyone who's currently invited lists no preference for versions of the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh expansion, so as long as that remains the case, we'll use the spells from the revised version. If I have to invite someone who only has the original version, I'll let you know that we'll be using the original version's spells, instead.

We will be using the Lurker at the Threshold herald. Once we have all of our players, I'll let them vote on whether or not to also use Dagon, Hydra, both, or neither. We'll do the same for whether or not to use an institution, and if so, which one.

Every player receives 3 random investigators, of which he or she chooses one to play as. One choice will be from the base game, the 2nd will be from Dunwich Horror or Kingsport Horror, and the 3rd will be from Innsmouth Horror.

Unless anyone objects, after investigator selection, I'll select the Ancient One, using a die with three sides for each Innsmouth Horror Ancient One, two sides for Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth, and one side for each other Ancient One, other than Tsathoggua. This is because I've had to go far enough down the list that the last two of the five primary invitees are from the game I just finished running, where Tsathoggua was the Ancient One.

This is a text-based game, with simplistic imagery, meaning that I won't be doing normal photo updates. What I plan to do is give my text updates, then (sometimes shortly after, sometimes later on,) I'll post a simplistic board update. Here's an example board update, from the last game I moderated:

Is this clear enough for you? It's not as pretty as a PhotoShopped board, but I think it's functional. I just hope you don't lose sanity from looking at my drawings. Then again, you can't see images of the horrific monsters this way, so perhaps you'll be more sane. For more examples of how I'll be moderating, you can look through the forum and geeklist for the previous game I moderated:
Game 59 Thread
Game 59 Geeklist
I'll make a geeklist for this game, at some point, after the end of the 2nd turn.

I may add some flavor text to my posts, when I have time, but won't be going as far as Daimbert does.

I’d now like to clarify how I’d like to run games. If anyone has any concerns, please say so, but otherwise, this is how we’ll proceed:
The short version:
Try to check in at least twice, per day, on most days. If what you want to do doesn't depend on, or affect anyone else, you may resolve your upkeep, movement, and encounter phases at the same time.

The long version:
Time Limits:
Absence For Over 72 Hours Without Prior Communication:
In general, you should try to check in multiple times, per-day, but it’s understandable that people won’t always be able to do so. However, in the interest of moving the game along, if a player, who has been asked for orders, does not give them within 72 hours, the other players should vote on what the missing player should do, until they come back. If one player is missing, a majority of three agreeing players will be required to determine the move. In the unlikely event that two or three players are missing, the move will be made as soon as two players are in agreement. In the extremely unlikely event that four or more players are missing, the move will be determined by the first player to post. I will not look for replacement players unless a player specifically asks to leave the game. If you would like to increase or decrease the time limit, you can vote on it, but I don’t recommend going below 24 hours, or above a week. Also note that you are only required to post, when we are waiting for your orders. While discussing plans with the group is encouraged, and other discussions are welcome, you don’t have to feel that you need to post every 72 hours, just to say you’re there, when we’re waiting for someone else.

Holidays:
Holidays will not count towards time we are waiting for you, whether you celebrate them or not, as long as at least one participant celebrates them. For example, If we had started in early October, players from all countries would get both Canadian and U.S. Thanksgiving off, even if they celebrate neither, provided we had at least one American and one Canadian, who each celebrated their country's Thanksgiving. Of course, if you're available to post during a holiday, there's nothing stopping you.

Announcing Temporary Unavailability:
If you let us know ahead of time that you will be unavailable for a specific period, that period will not count as time we are waiting for you. We will understand that things come up, sometimes. It’s only if you vanish without warning for over 72 hours that others will need to make decisions for you.

General Gameplay:
The Upkeep Phase:
During the upkeep phase, players…:
…may discuss plans for the turn, as a group.
must post their upkeep orders and roll upkeep dice, in any order. Remember that you always skip the first roll for blessings, curses, and retainers. Upkeep actions (like spells) can be done before or after slider change. In case of non-specification, I'll always use the most advantageous method.
must (if they are the first player with movement phase choices,) post their movement orders.
…may post their movement and/or Arkham encounters phase orders. During the Arkham encounters phase, if you’re in a location with an optional, alternate encounter that you could have, or are Wilson Richards, and I haven’t received orders from you, I’ll have to wait for you, then.
…may revise their orders at any time before the end of the phase.
The phase ends, immediately, once the first player with movement phase choices has posted their movement orders, and all players have posted their upkeep orders.

The Movement Phase:
During the movement phase, players…:
…may continue discussing plans for the turn, as a group.
must post their movement orders in any order.
…may revise their orders at any time, before they are resolved.
…may resolve their movement orders, if their movement has an unknown outcome, (such as requiring one or more skill checks to evade or fight monsters,) and every other player before them , in turn order, has posted movement orders, that either have a known outcome, or have already been resolved. Doing this resolves any preceding movement orders with known outcomes, and makes them un-revisable. When you’re completely done resolving your move, say “Resolved.” This way, other players will know that you’re done rolling, spending clues, etc.
…may post their Arkham encounters phase orders.
may resolve the rest of the movement phase, after all players have posted movement orders, and all moves with unknown outcomes have already been resolved. They may do this only if they are the first player to have an encounter and that encounter has an unknown outcome that can be determined by rolling dice, without waiting for me to draw any cards. Examples of this include skill checks to close gates, skill checks at environment activities, and gambling at Darke’s Carnival.
Also during the movement phase, I…:
…will post an update showing investigator statuses after the upkeep phase.
…will attempt to resolve moves with unknown outcomes, as best as possible with the orders I’ve been provided. I may have to stop and wait for the player who originally posted the orders to come back and resolve the rest of their move, themselves.
will end the movement phase, once every player has posted movement orders, and all moves with unknown outcomes have been resolved.

The Arkham and Other World Encounters Phases:
During the Arkham and other world encounters phases I will post an update showing investigator statuses after the movement phase. I will then attempt to resolve all encounters in phase/player order, as best I can, but will often need to stop and wait for players to make decisions. Like Daimbert, I’m willing to try speeding things up, by starting to resolve multiple encounters at the same time, as long as earlier encounters won’t affect later encounters. If Mandy's re-roll has not been used, I will not start resolving a later encounter, when a player fains a check, but could pass by using Mandy's re-roll.
When posting encounters, I will post the flavor text, but will be as vague as possible about the rules text, out of respect for Fantasy Flight Games requirements for Battlestar Galactica play by forum games, and due to the fact that they have not officially acknowledged the Arkham Horror play by forum games (as far as I’m aware). I will post everything necessary for a player to make decisions about their encounter, but withhold “extra” information, sometimes including the type of skill check, if the investigator doesn’t have any effects that could alter a check of that skill. For example, if a player has the option of making a skill check for which they a skill card that would let them roll extra dice for spending clues on that type of check, I’ll let them know it’s that type of skill. If there’s absolutely no way in which the knowledge of what skill they’re using would benefit them, I’ll just post the die roll they’d use, if they made the check, with automatic bonuses already applied. If they have no option, and must make a skill check, I’ll try to resolve it for them. When I make a skill check for a player, and they have no way to affect the result, (or would obviously not want to,) I will list only the pass, or fail effects, depending on the check result, and not the unused effect(s). If a player has a choice where one option is completely harmful, or completely beneficial, I will make the choice for them, but in general I will let them make their own choices when there’s at least some merit to both, no matter how good one option might seem. For example, If Gloria Goldberg has the choice of losing one stamina or drawing a common item, I’ll give her the common item, instead of waiting for her choice. However, if she had the choice of gaining a common item, or gaining $1, I will wait for her choice, unless I receive conditional orders, otherwise. Such orders could be in the form of "always accept items over money, unless I already have a powerful weapon, am at one sanity or stamina, and am $1 short of a full heal at the asylum or hospital." Feel free to be creative with your orders.

The Mythos Phase:
At the beginning of the Mythos Phase, if Jacqueline Fine has two or more clues, I will post all of the relevant information for the drawn Mythos card, and ask her, if it can resolve, or if she would like to spend two clues to replace it. If Jacqueline would like, it may help if she gave conditional orders, such as to only replace rumors, negative environments, gate bursts, or other specific types of effects. Otherwise, I’ll ask her if she wants to replace every single mythos card, as it’ drawn.
During the mythos phase, my posts will start off looking like DukeofEarl’s by listing everything that happens when the gate opens, then they’ll start to look more like Daimberts, where I list the new (or old) locations of all monsters, a headline, if any, an environment, if any, and/or a rumor, if any. At the end of the mythos phase, I’ll post the final investigator statuses of the round, along with a new board. I may, or may not post additional boards during other phases. After I’m done with my mythos phase post, it becomes the new turn’s upkeep phase, when all players again have to post their upkeep orders in any order, and the new first player (with movement choices) must post their movement orders.

Additional Notes:
Some of these are borrowed and modified from the policies of DukeofEarl:
I will not spend any clues unless I got a conditional order from you ("spend up to X clues") or something catastrophic would happen that would make saving moot (like "if you fail, lose all clues" or "if you fail you are devoured") If neither of these situations is the case, I'll wait for you to decide if you want to spend your own clues.

I will accept bolded orders to use other characters' global abilities from anyone, unless their player objects.

If a character retires or is devoured, they will receive one new investigator at random, rather than drawing three and choosing one.

I like to use waiting list order as turn order.

I may need to list additional policies, depending on which investigators are selected. It helps to automate investigator abilities with interrupting, out of turn effects, as much as possible.

Again, let me know if you have any concerns about these policies. It's my job to help you have fun. I'll do what the group feels is most effective.

I'll keep the invitee statuses in a separate post below, so you know the difference between edits to the policies, and invitee updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The list of invitees are:

BosonMichael "Alternate 1." Invited, but last week told me that he hopes to be available soon, but is busy, right now.
webspyder Unexpectedly Had To Cancel
brunoreturns IN
William Keller IN
coinspnnr "Alternate 2." Invited, but has not logged in for over a week, so skipped, for now.
Krysmopompas IN
fbinder IN
Odysseus3 IN
BenTheRat IN

I'm only inviting players who have logged in within a week, and giving them a week from the last time they logged out, to log back in and respond. When an invitee declines, if one or more alternates have said that they're available, I'll invite the available alternate who's highest on the list. Otherwise, I'll invite someone else, lower on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in, always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
War.... War never changes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking in. Eagerly awaiting the game, though I need a serious refresher, it has been so long since I played. Breaking out my rulebooks now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking in here too. Thanks so much for running the game gm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm in. The game looks daunting with 3 expansions. (Come to think about it, I don't think I've ever played an Arkham game that didn't look daunting) Ok, away to clean off a rather LARGE area to do my set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, look forward to playing with you 5. Fabio and I have played under Thrift Thopter in his first GM game and he knocked it out of the park, so we’re in good hands.

Speaking of TT, GM do you use a house rule on the Lurker herald? I’ve been in games where you can’t spend power on the same turn you take it. Seems to actually make the Lurker more like a herald than a guardian/herald crossbreed, keeps flavour up and is pretty manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krysmopompas wrote:
All right, look forward to playing with you 5. Fabio and I have played under Thrift Thopter in his first GM game and he knocked it out of the park, so we’re in good hands.

Speaking of TT, GM do you use a house rule on the Lurker herald? I’ve been in games where you can’t spend power on the same turn you take it. Seems to actually make the Lurker more like a herald than a guardian/herald crossbreed, keeps flavour up and is pretty manageable.

I don't think we need to house rule it, unless most of you really want to. Besides, we'll be using Miskatonic Horror reckonings. Those plus Innsmouth Horror, should be keeping you under pressure, especially if you vote to add Dagon and/or Hydra.

Now that we have everyone, I'll post the investigator options, shortly.

William told me that he may need a little extra time, as we're getting started, so things might start off a little slow, but will quickly resume the pace of the previous game. I may be a little slow, myself, anyway, at first, as I'm deconstructing the previous game, and going through all of the expansions, borrowing things, to setting up the new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool thanks. I'd vote for the house rule but am happy to play any format. The thing about the Lurker is the Reckonings depends a lot on investigators having power to do anything (though the Pacts occasionally go too if anyone is desperate enough to get one!). So if you get power then spend it on the same turn, you're not putting yourself at risk and the Lurker likely won't be more than a nuisance...or maybe you're just putting your hand in the fire and taking it out before you get burned

Anyway look forward to voting on the rest, lots of options here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krysmopompas wrote:
cool thanks. I'd vote for the house rule but am happy to play any format. The thing about the Lurker is the Reckonings depends a lot on investigators having power to do anything (though the Pacts occasionally go too if anyone is desperate enough to get one!). So if you get power then spend it on the same turn, you're not putting yourself at risk and the Lurker likely won't be more than a nuisance...or maybe you're just putting your hand in the fire and taking it out before you get burned

I've played a few times with the Herald Lurker and in all my plays it was only a secondary role. I think I don't get its importance yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When posting your investigator selection, please also post your votes for heralds and institutions.

Additionally, if you want, I can shuffle the 2 Miskatonic Horror skills for Innsmouth Horror and The Lurker at the Threshold into the top 5-ish skills, so that someone will be guaranteed to get them, during setup. Otherwise, they'll be shuffled into the 47(?) card skill deck, and it will be unlikely that anyone will draw either of the special skills.

I'll use waiting list order as player order. Shawn/webspyder will be 1st, Jeremy/burnoreturns will be 2nd, and so on.

While selecting your character, remember that we'll be using personal stories.

Investigator Options:
Shawn/webspyder may choose one of the following investigators:
1custom16{Amanda Sharpe;"Ashcan" Pete;Bob Jenkins;Carolyn Fern;Darrell Simmons;Dexter Drake;Gloria Goldberg;Harvey Walters;Jenny Barnes;Joe Diamond;Kate Winthrop;Mandy Thompson;Michael McGlen;Monterey Jack;Sister Marry;Vincent Lee} -> ( Mandy Thompson) -> ( Mandy Thompson) 1custom16{Diana Stanley;Jacqueline Fine;Jim Culver;Leo Anderson;Marie Lambeau;Mark Harrigan;Rita Young; Wilson Richards; Charlie Kane; Daisy Walker; Lily Chen; Lola Hayes; Luke Robinson; Rex Murphy; Tony Morgan; Wendy Adams} -> ( Mark Harrigan) -> ( Mark Harrigan) 1custom16{Agnes Baker; Akachi Onyele; Finn Edwards; George Barnaby; Hank Samson; Minh Thi Phan; Norman Withers; Patrice Hathaway; Roland Banks; Silas Marsh; "Skids" O'Toole; Tommy Muldoon; Trish Scarborough; Ursula Downs; William Yorick; Zoey Samaras} -> ( Trish Scarborough) -> ( Trish Scarborough)

Jeremy/burnoreturns may choose one of the following investigators:
1custom15{Amanda Sharpe;"Ashcan" Pete;Bob Jenkins;Carolyn Fern;Darrell Simmons;Dexter Drake;Gloria Goldberg;Harvey Walters;Jenny Barnes;Joe Diamond;Kate Winthrop;Michael McGlen;Monterey Jack;Sister Marry;Vincent Lee} -> ( Amanda Sharpe) -> ( Amanda Sharpe) 1custom15{Diana Stanley;Jacqueline Fine;Jim Culver;Leo Anderson;Marie Lambeau;Rita Young; Wilson Richards; Charlie Kane; Daisy Walker; Lily Chen; Lola Hayes; Luke Robinson; Rex Murphy; Tony Morgan; Wendy Adams} -> ( Tony Morgan) -> ( Tony Morgan) 1custom15{Agnes Baker; Akachi Onyele; Finn Edwards; George Barnaby; Hank Samson; Minh Thi Phan; Norman Withers; Patrice Hathaway; Roland Banks; Silas Marsh; "Skids" O'Toole; Tommy Muldoon; Ursula Downs; William Yorick; Zoey Samaras} -> ( Silas Marsh) -> ( Silas Marsh)

William may choose one of the following investigators:
1custom14{"Ashcan" Pete;Bob Jenkins;Carolyn Fern;Darrell Simmons;Dexter Drake;Gloria Goldberg;Harvey Walters;Jenny Barnes;Joe Diamond;Kate Winthrop;Michael McGlen;Monterey Jack;Sister Marry;Vincent Lee} -> ( Sister Marry) -> ( Sister Marry) 1custom14{Diana Stanley;Jacqueline Fine;Jim Culver;Leo Anderson;Marie Lambeau;Rita Young; Wilson Richards; Charlie Kane; Daisy Walker; Lily Chen; Lola Hayes; Luke Robinson; Rex Murphy; Wendy Adams} -> ( Charlie Kane) -> ( Charlie Kane) 1custom14{Agnes Baker; Akachi Onyele; Finn Edwards; George Barnaby; Hank Samson; Minh Thi Phan; Norman Withers; Patrice Hathaway; Roland Banks; "Skids" O'Toole; Tommy Muldoon; Ursula Downs; William Yorick; Zoey Samaras} -> ( Patrice Hathaway) -> ( Patrice Hathaway)

Krysmopompas may choose one of the following investigators:
1custom13{"Ashcan" Pete;Bob Jenkins;Carolyn Fern;Darrell Simmons;Dexter Drake;Gloria Goldberg;Harvey Walters;Jenny Barnes;Joe Diamond;Kate Winthrop;Michael McGlen;Monterey Jack;Vincent Lee} -> ( "Ashcan" Pete) -> ( "Ashcan" Pete) 1custom13{Diana Stanley;Jacqueline Fine;Jim Culver;Leo Anderson;Marie Lambeau;Rita Young; Wilson Richards; Daisy Walker; Lily Chen; Lola Hayes; Luke Robinson; Rex Murphy; Wendy Adams} -> ( Rex Murphy) -> ( Rex Murphy) 1custom13{Agnes Baker; Akachi Onyele; Finn Edwards; George Barnaby; Hank Samson; Minh Thi Phan; Norman Withers; Roland Banks; "Skids" O'Toole; Tommy Muldoon; Ursula Downs; William Yorick; Zoey Samaras} -> ( George Barnaby) -> ( George Barnaby)

Fabio/fbinder may choose one of the following investigators:
1custom12{Bob Jenkins;Carolyn Fern;Darrell Simmons;Dexter Drake;Gloria Goldberg;Harvey Walters;Jenny Barnes;Joe Diamond;Kate Winthrop;Michael McGlen;Monterey Jack;Vincent Lee} -> ( Jenny Barnes) -> ( Jenny Barnes) 1custom12{Diana Stanley;Jacqueline Fine;Jim Culver;Leo Anderson;Marie Lambeau;Rita Young; Wilson Richards; Daisy Walker; Lily Chen; Lola Hayes; Luke Robinson; Wendy Adams} -> ( Rita Young) -> ( Rita Young) 1custom12{Agnes Baker; Akachi Onyele; Finn Edwards; Hank Samson; Minh Thi Phan; Norman Withers; Roland Banks; "Skids" O'Toole; Tommy Muldoon; Ursula Downs; William Yorick; Zoey Samaras} -> ( Tommy Muldoon) -> ( Tommy Muldoon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1220733. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom16{Amanda Sharpe;"Ashcan" Pete;Bob Jenkins;Carolyn Fern;Darrell Simmons;Dexter Drake;Gloria Goldberg;Harvey Walters;Jenny Barnes;Joe Diamond;Kate Winthrop;Mandy Thompson;Michael McGlen;Monterey Jack;Sister Marry;Vincent Lee} =
  • ( Mandy Thompson) =
  • ( Mandy Thompson)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:01 am
  • [+]
  • 1220741. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom16{Diana Stanley;Jacqueline Fine;Jim Culver;Leo Anderson;Marie Lambeau;Mark Harrigan;Rita Young; Wilson Richards; Charlie Kane; Daisy Walker; Lily Chen; Lola Hayes; Luke Robinson; Rex Murphy; Tony Morgan; Wendy Adams} =
  • ( Mark Harrigan) =
  • ( Mark Harrigan)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:13 am
  • [+]
  • 1220743. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom16{Agnes Baker; Akachi Onyele; Finn Edwards; George Barnaby; Hank Samson; Minh Thi Phan; Norman Withers; Patrice Hathaway; Roland Banks; Silas Marsh; "Skids" O'Toole; Tommy Muldoon; Trish Scarborough; Ursula Downs; William Yorick; Zoey Samaras} =
  • ( Trish Scarborough) =
  • ( Trish Scarborough)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:25 am
  • [+]
  • 1220746. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom15{Amanda Sharpe;"Ashcan" Pete;Bob Jenkins;Carolyn Fern;Darrell Simmons;Dexter Drake;Gloria Goldberg;Harvey Walters;Jenny Barnes;Joe Diamond;Kate Winthrop;Michael McGlen;Monterey Jack;Sister Marry;Vincent Lee} =
  • ( Amanda Sharpe) =
  • ( Amanda Sharpe)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:32 am
  • [+]
  • 1220747. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom15{Diana Stanley;Jacqueline Fine;Jim Culver;Leo Anderson;Marie Lambeau;Rita Young; Wilson Richards; Charlie Kane; Daisy Walker; Lily Chen; Lola Hayes; Luke Robinson; Rex Murphy; Tony Morgan; Wendy Adams} =
  • ( Tony Morgan) =
  • ( Tony Morgan)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:34 am
  • [+]
  • 1220750. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom15{Agnes Baker; Akachi Onyele; Finn Edwards; George Barnaby; Hank Samson; Minh Thi Phan; Norman Withers; Patrice Hathaway; Roland Banks; Silas Marsh; "Skids" O'Toole; Tommy Muldoon; Ursula Downs; William Yorick; Zoey Samaras} =
  • ( Silas Marsh) =
  • ( Silas Marsh)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:35 am
  • [+]
  • 1220753. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom14{"Ashcan" Pete;Bob Jenkins;Carolyn Fern;Darrell Simmons;Dexter Drake;Gloria Goldberg;Harvey Walters;Jenny Barnes;Joe Diamond;Kate Winthrop;Michael McGlen;Monterey Jack;Sister Marry;Vincent Lee} =
  • ( Sister Marry) =
  • ( Sister Marry)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:38 am
  • [+]
  • 1220754. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom14{Diana Stanley;Jacqueline Fine;Jim Culver;Leo Anderson;Marie Lambeau;Rita Young; Wilson Richards; Charlie Kane; Daisy Walker; Lily Chen; Lola Hayes; Luke Robinson; Rex Murphy; Wendy Adams} =
  • ( Charlie Kane) =
  • ( Charlie Kane)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:39 am
  • [+]
  • 1220758. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom14{Agnes Baker; Akachi Onyele; Finn Edwards; George Barnaby; Hank Samson; Minh Thi Phan; Norman Withers; Patrice Hathaway; Roland Banks; "Skids" O'Toole; Tommy Muldoon; Ursula Downs; William Yorick; Zoey Samaras} =
  • ( Patrice Hathaway) =
  • ( Patrice Hathaway)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:41 am
  • [+]
  • 1220759. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom13{"Ashcan" Pete;Bob Jenkins;Carolyn Fern;Darrell Simmons;Dexter Drake;Gloria Goldberg;Harvey Walters;Jenny Barnes;Joe Diamond;Kate Winthrop;Michael McGlen;Monterey Jack;Vincent Lee} =
  • ( "Ashcan" Pete) =
  • ( "Ashcan" Pete)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:43 am
  • [+]
  • 1220760. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom13{Diana Stanley;Jacqueline Fine;Jim Culver;Leo Anderson;Marie Lambeau;Rita Young; Wilson Richards; Daisy Walker; Lily Chen; Lola Hayes; Luke Robinson; Rex Murphy; Wendy Adams} =
  • ( Rex Murphy) =
  • ( Rex Murphy)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:44 am
  • [+]
  • 1220761. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom13{Agnes Baker; Akachi Onyele; Finn Edwards; George Barnaby; Hank Samson; Minh Thi Phan; Norman Withers; Roland Banks; "Skids" O'Toole; Tommy Muldoon; Ursula Downs; William Yorick; Zoey Samaras} =
  • ( George Barnaby) =
  • ( George Barnaby)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:45 am
  • [+]
  • 1220762. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom12{Bob Jenkins;Carolyn Fern;Darrell Simmons;Dexter Drake;Gloria Goldberg;Harvey Walters;Jenny Barnes;Joe Diamond;Kate Winthrop;Michael McGlen;Monterey Jack;Vincent Lee} =
  • ( Jenny Barnes) =
  • ( Jenny Barnes)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:47 am
  • [+]
  • 1220763. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom12{Diana Stanley;Jacqueline Fine;Jim Culver;Leo Anderson;Marie Lambeau;Rita Young; Wilson Richards; Daisy Walker; Lily Chen; Lola Hayes; Luke Robinson; Wendy Adams} =
  • ( Rita Young) =
  • ( Rita Young)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:48 am
  • [+]
  • 1220766. Thrift Thopter
  • 1custom12{Agnes Baker; Akachi Onyele; Finn Edwards; Hank Samson; Minh Thi Phan; Norman Withers; Roland Banks; "Skids" O'Toole; Tommy Muldoon; Ursula Downs; William Yorick; Zoey Samaras} =
  • ( Tommy Muldoon) =
  • ( Tommy Muldoon)
  • Sun Jan 7, 2018 1:49 am
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mobile Krysmo

How can I turn down one of the crappiest investigators in the game, my old friend George Barnaby! Especially in an Innsmouth game where he could actually be useful.

I’ll pick George.

As for other votes

- yes to GM’s idea for putting the expansion skills at the top.
- if we can have other heralds in addition to the Lurker herald in play (never tried that), let’s go for both Dagon and Hydra too.
- as for an Institution, will vote for the Bureau of Investigation. Fits the theme and could be useful by throwing agents up in Innsmouth (plus with Our reliance on using clues so far in this setup, let’s pile it on and guarantee we’ll be getting power tokens and flirting with the Lurker all game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenny Barnes here.

Krysmopompas wrote:

As for other votes

- yes to GM’s idea for putting the expansion skills at the top.
- if we can have other heralds in addition to the Lurker herald in play (never tried that), let’s go for both Dagon and Hydra too.
- as for an Institution, will vote for the Bureau of Investigation. Fits the theme and could be useful by throwing agents up in Innsmouth.

I vote with Krysmopompas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If Tony had even 4 Sanity, I might choose him. However, I think Silas Marsh is a great character and who better to have in an Innsmouth game?

Making sure the expansion skills get chosen is fine.

I've never really liked the Heralds (other then the Lurker), but if people want to ramp the difficulty up, I won't complain. Both of them seems excessive, though.

I've never actually played with an Institution, so I'd be willing to try it out. The Bureau seems like the least useful Institution, though, and requires spending the most valuable resource in the game to get any value out of it.
If we do use an Institution, we should use at least one Herald as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been busy lately, and so far, have only been responding to things, when necessary, while preparing for playing by forum. Now, I have a brief respite, when I can address something.

fbinder wrote:
Krysmopompas wrote:

I've played a few times with the Herald Lurker and in all my plays it was only a secondary role. I think I don't get its importance yet.

Krysmopompas wrote:
...if we can have other heralds in addition to the Lurker herald in play (never tried that)...

The Lurker at the Threshold is definitely not a normal herald, but I'm not sure it was meant to be. I've always been fine with it being a hybrid of a herald and a guardian, because it means that you can toss it into games, without changing the difficulty much, even if you have another herald, which means that the Lurker at the Threshold expansion plays nicely with other expansions, with heralds. I'd certainly have to think twice about using other heralds together, but with the Lurker at the Threshold, it's not a problem. It's not necessarily there to make things harder, just more interesting, and as I've said, I believe the Miskatonic reckonings are usually more unpleasant than the normal ones, so it shouldn't be helping us too much more than it hurts us. I think the main difficulty of the Lurker at the Threshold expansion comes from the special gates and mythos cards that open multiple gates, anyway. Not extremely difficult, but those things definitely make things more difficult, than usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunoreturns wrote:

If Tony had even 4 Sanity, I might choose him. However, I think Silas Marsh is a great character and who better to have in an Innsmouth game?

Making sure the expansion skills get chosen is fine.

I've never really liked the Heralds (other then the Lurker), but if people want to ramp the difficulty up, I won't complain. Both of them seems excessive, though.

I've never actually played with an Institution, so I'd be willing to try it out. The Bureau seems like the least useful Institution, though, and requires spending the most valuable resource in the game to get any value out of it.
If we do use an Institution, we should use at least one Herald as well.

Great choice on Silas
My thinking around using the Bureau was that A) it fits the theme best and more importantly B) with the Lurker and its power tokens, we have access to a huge amount of clues. Choosing the Bureau would mean we’d use the Lurker for that more, bringing it out into the game too.

The University would be my next choice but like the Crime institution, it isn’t the best fit thematically.
Cool for using one of hydra or Dagon if that’s best for folks....if we can avoid Father Dagon that’s probably for the best anyway, hes’s @&$*# nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have "a lot on the plate" already, so, like Jeremy, I'm really not to keen on the Herald either. But Ill let the group decide and if you want it Ill go with it also. Special skills is a yes. I'm trying to decide on Charley Kane and Patrice H. Any ideas. I have only played Insmouth once (long ago), so if you think one of these characters has an advantage for this scenario Id welcome any suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, CHarlie would be useful with his terror track skill, but Patrice is arguably the most powerful in the game and I’m sure we could use her IMO.

Btw I’ll change my vote to just Mother Hydra as the extra herald. Two of the team preferred no extra and two voted for all so seems a good compromise (and in retrospect a touch more manageable
Hopefully that’s ok with Our last teammate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what people have said, this is my interpretation of the votes, so far. (I'm not completely sure, so please feel free to clarify, if I've misunderstood something that you've said):

Guarantee that the 2 Miskatonic Horror Skills for Innsmouth Horror and The Lurker at the Threshold are among the setup skills?:
Yes: 4, No: 0, Undecided: 1.

Use Dagon?:
Yes: 1, No: 2, Undecided: 2.

Use Hydra?:
Yes: 2, No: 1, Undecided: 2.

Use an institution?
Yes: 3, No: 0, Undecided 2.

Which Institution?
Bureau of Investigation: 2, Miskatonic University: 0, Organized Crime: 0, Undecided: 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrice is insanely powerful, though you might get bored during the game. Her job is to run around gathering clues and never get into danger herself.

Charlie can be fun. Starting with an Ally is a really cool thing, but can be a mixed bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrice for the team, Charlie for the fun. I chose Jenny because she has a continuous income that can't be lost. That way I may try to get elder signs from that suspicious shop...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way I chose George because I like a challenge, and he does have that $2-to-prevent arrests ability, which is useful when Innsmouth is under siege. Would also mean I’d probably get a pact at some point to help with clue equivalents.
But if the team would rather I go for a pure clue generator I could happily play Rex; just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Ill go with Patrice. Ive played Charley before, and yes he's a fun to play, but Ive never played Patrice so I think Ill give her a try. Hope I don't get bored staying alive while you all do most of the 'heavy carrying." whistle Uh...knock on wood with that last thought...you know what happens when someone makes a statement like that!goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh also I don't believe your original post included Ally's from the other expansions. Is that correct...Just the Core allys? Man that's a lot of cards to organize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
William Keller wrote:

Oh also I don't believe your original post included Ally's from the other expansions. Is that correct...Just the Core allys? Man that's a lot of cards to organize.

That's right. No allies, monsters, Mythos cards, encounter cards, etc., from other expansions. Just items, skills, investigators, and maybe an Ancient One.

Good luck trying to find the 5 Elder Signs in the 113-card unique item deck, Fabio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.