GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,342 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Scenario 13 help (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is Temple of the Seer. I've failed 3 times and it hasn't really even been close.

The outer stone golems aren't really a problem, I can take them down just about the time my hands run dry (5 turns) and then rest. It's the room after that, it's just insane. 7 very powerful long range attackers (4 Living Spirits, 3 Spitting Drakes). 2 hit point powerhouses in the Cave Bears.

There's just no way I can stun or disarm enough of them to avoid massive waves of damage. I tried blocking up the doorway and letting them come to me, but whoever is in the door way is dead in one turn from 7 ranged attacks plus cave bears. I tried hiding on the other side and luring them through, but then I just get a flood of ranged attackers pouring through the door after a couple turns and I'm no better off than charging into the big room.

I'm at a loss . This is the first time I've failed 3 straight and definitely first time I'm absolutely stumped on a strategy that might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember this one being tough. Well, any good advice would likely have to first come from someone who knows what characters your playing. With all those enemies, it sounds like your playing with 3 characters. What lvl are your classes and what are they?

I'd suggest some CC to ensure that a few of those targets are stunned, etc. The turn you go in and maybe the next. The mindthief has a couple ranged stuns, brute has a disarm, tinkerer has a ranged stun. If you can stun the Bears, then target the squishier spirits, that's be more efficient use of turns. They do equivalent d,g but have way less hp so it's more effective to get the, out first.

Save invisibility cloaks so you can pop those when you need to to keep squishier targets alive.

Spread the damage around. Even the squishy classes can take a hit or too.

Burn lost cards for effective atks. If your losing anyway, might as well go all out and I bet you'll see a turn around. Summon those decoys, do that huge aoe damage.

I suggest a combination of what you've tried. Open the door early in the round then back out or go in atk go invisible, or something so you don't get atk'd. Then with all the other characters going late, let enemies come to you this turn. Then burst in for the end of the round to find closer range grouped up enemies. This way you will be able to see, as soon as the door is open, what enemies will go where, do what, and be able to effectively atk with all the 3 you have left.

If you have any one shot kill cards, lost or not, those will be good to use on the Bears. Also, push or pull them onto traps, always good for lots of damage. If not going to 1 shot kill, I try to get a wound on bears adapter so that they start dying sooner.

If you are able to drag for a turn or two, the spirits should be grouped around the door or close. Here you need an aoe/multi target atk with pierce. Tinkerer or SW with a bow works really good here. Heck, even a dirt tornado with a power potion and consume earth should do the trick. Take em all out in one shot.

Drakes are always super tough, don't have any good advice there, try to take em out asap.

Anyway hope that helps some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Girard
Canada
Edmundston
New-Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as you! Trying different strategies and didn't work! You'll need pierce for sure... buy some items, that's were I am right now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Ilmavirta
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our posse decimated that scenario playing with Mind Thief and Spellweaver. Spellweaver went in with Cloak of Invisibility and made Living Spirits explode with Piercing Bow/Minor Power Potion/Eagle Eye Goggles/Fire Orbs combo with Mind Thief following with Cloak of Invisibility to dominate Elite Drake. Then we just burned our high cards for all the damage in the world. It was still surprisingly tough (Elite Drake and Elite Cave Bear is really tough!), but we made it through. That item combo is really good to take down any targets with high shields and low hit points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wonham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We beat that last night with 4 player - Brute, MindThief, Cragheart and
Spoiler (click to reveal)
PlagueHerald
. The CH was critical in healing the Brute. And we ll threw money at the Great Oak to get some bless cards.

The
PH
was useful in poisoning and cursing, but as only level had to be kept out of the way a bit.

Pierce capability from Brute was very important. One shot kill from MT lost a Golem as the first action of the game. And the CH skeleton acted as a diversion. When we got through the door The MT was invisible which saved his life. The MT MOVED the CH who then played a ranged retaliate card. By drawing the attention of ALL the living spirits, ALL the living spirits died in that first round after the door opened.

Finally the Brute Jumped and attacked three drakes, and the hit hte last one with a 5 attack. And then the MT then mind controlled one drake to attack the others.

The CH meanwhile opened the chest. And the
PH
got her first kill on the final cave bear.

We played with 3 LVL4 and a LVL1 character. Should have bumped the difficulty up one. The MT was exhausted becaus ehe had used the lost-option on a number of cards. My Brute had only had to short rest once thanks to a minor stamina potion.

On reflection, we should probably have played at a harder level. Or not killed that final cave bear and gone looting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
We finished that scenario first time yesterday, with a 2P/4Character group(Mindthief, Tinkerer, Brute, Scoundrel).

The Brute, our tank, opened the door and jumped in and was quickly overwhelmed by everything converging on him. He almost died from all the hits. What saved us was having Scoundrel/Mindthief move up to the front quickly and go invisible, blocking monsters from going any farther. Coupled with the Mindthief's stuns, this strategy stopped the bleeding pretty fast. It wasn't easy though, we were all nearly exhausted by the end of the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've got level 3 Mindthief, Brute, and Scoundrel. Not much crowd control and certainly no ranged area attacks I could pair with the piercing bow.

I had some luck with the Brute stunning a bunch with trample and the hammer, but that's a one time thing and the spirits have too much shielding for that to do any damage do them. The cavebears have too many hit points to really care. The Drake's muddles are a pain as well .

With 9 monsters, 7 of which hit hard at range, stunning a couple monsters every turn doesn't really help much. I'll try once more on easy and then I guess give up until I can come back with everyone equipped with the axe and stun potions. Need to get to prosperity 2 for that though.

On the bright side, the Brute's retirement goal of seeing team members exhausted has gotten a big bump towards completion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wonham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the Cragheart that you're missing. area attacks + healing is critical.

But with your party as it stands I'd recommend getting in the poison daggers and stamina potions. If you're levelled enough also healing potion. Look at your retaliate opportunities for both the golems and the spirits. The Brutes Retaliate 3 Range 3 card is a potential one-shot-kill-4 card if you get stuff right. Don't cluster together because that's where the drakes start to hurt you. Use a 'hit and run' rather than a 'run and hit' strategy on the bears. Summons to act as focus fodder.

Bless Bless Bless....

Perhaps play the level down a difficulty or two, and see how that works. Then give it a go a normal difficulty.

Finally - try adding a Cragheart as an extra character - even if only lvl 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Yoder
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group ran this level with a Mindthief, Brute, Spellweaver. My mindthief was typically our door opener using scurry (Move 3, Attack 1 on top) to open doors and then going invisible on the doorway to block movement allowing us to assess the situation.

With the mindthief, if you have the +2 attack augment up you can relatively easily run through the living spirits up the side being really conscious of damage so trying to use invisibility another time or two is key.

Our brute went after the bears. He did all right, but got a few bad draws that left him taking more damage than we liked, but he did a lot of damage.

Our spellweaver came in kind of as a clean up. Using a scoundrel instead you could probably use your brute and scoundrel to gang up on the bears quickly before all of the drakes get into range and hopefully kill one if not both.

Not sure if that will work well or not, but that was how we tackled it. For me as the mindthief, I took on a lot of shield guys as with the +2 attack you can do base 2 attacks that are then base 4 attacks. With a few attacks that get to 5 or 6 before the modifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Korda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Just completed this at 4th level with MT, CH, BR and TI. It was total chaos after opening the door, and we got lucky a couple times with mod cards, but pierce on the Spirits was big, as well as the CH "Damage adjacent" abilities. Also we set up a long choke point using the CH ability to create obstacles so the Cave Bears were pretty easy to avoid while we took out the flyers. The MT "Cranium Overload" and "Hostile Takeover" were very effective against the Drakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin De Schutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did This scenario yesterday with brute (lv4), mindthief (lv4), Scoundrel (lv3) and Thinkerer (lv3). Scenario lvl was 2 (normal diff). I opened the door (I am the brute) ready to tank Some hits but 8 ranged attackers and 3 bears Made us all turn very white. We beat the scenario with the mindthief and scoundrel exhausted, the Tinkerer healing me from behind and me killing the last elite spitting Drake with my last 2 cards...
Our strategy was retreating back to the first room, but the ranged attackers could still reach us ( I hate those flying/ranged living spirits with shield3). Our mindthief and Scoundrel ran into the big room turning invisible to draw attention... it worked but they didn’t last long...meanwhile I (brute) long rested and returned to finish every surviving Drake and bear...it was very close...but our previous scenario (14) was even more difficult...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Try having the Mindthief go in with Gnawing Horde or Feedback Loop, using the card for its initiative and its 4 move. That lets him go very late and do one big melee attack, and the next turn he can play Into the Night after doing one more big melee attack. If he places himself correctly with his 4 move in the previous turn, he will be in position to possibly oneshot two of the Living Spirits. He can repeat this combo one more time either by using his invisibility cloak on his second turn, or by using a stamina potion to get his Into the Night card back again.

If the Scoundrel is able to do something similar with invisibility, and to work together with the Mindthief to attack targets that are next to the Mindthief, you should be able to kill the ranged enemies very easily without exposing yourselves.

If the Brute stands back and lets the bears come to him, he should be able to handle them by himself, while the Mindthief and Scoundrel focus on taking out all of the ranged enemies. The Brute should try to avoid being in range for the ranged enemies, and just focus on the bears.

Brutes are great at fighting melee enemies, Mindthieves are great at fighting ranged enemies. I'm not sure which type of target the Scoundrel is better at fighting, but given the room setup being ranged heavy, I would set him on the ranged enemies and to let the Brute try to take down the Bears by himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
This scenario was a beast, but we managed to pull it off last night. We had Scoundrel (me), Brute, and Tinkerer. Similar to the OP, we didn't have too many problems with the Stone Golems, and finished the first room quickly. I went super late with Sinister Opportunity in round 1, and was able to hit one of the normals 3 times (with my bottom attack card) before he even had a turn. Then we ganged up on the elite with the brute disarming him as I moved in for melee attacks, including applying a wound. After that, we made short work of the last normal, and only took one collective hit.

As for the big room, it was a bit of a cluster. The Brute opened the door and promptly got jumped taking a ton of hits from the Spirits plus one each from the elite drake and normal bear. I went in late, and positioned myself so that I could hit both the normal living spirits. I one shotted one on the round I moved in (all the +1s in my modifier deck were a huge help), then took out the other before retreating early in the following round. Our plan was to retreat into the original room, but all of the ranged bad guys were in position by the end of the 2nd round anyway, so that wasn't working very well. On the third round after opening the door, I jumped through the mob (with my boots), and used Tricksters Reversal (Attack 2 +2x the shield of the target) to wreck one of the elite spirits. This would have been a great time to turn invisible, but alas I opted for the leather armor instead of invisibility, so I took pretty much every hit that round, had to lose a bunch of cards, and was also stunned by the drakes. I was down to 3 cards in my discard pile, none in my hand, 1 health, and I was stunned/poisoned.

Meanwhile, The Tinkerer was plinking away and healing up the Brute, and the Brute was also dishing out as much AOE damage as he could do. On the next round we had it planned out so the Brute would position himself to take all the shots while I long rested during my stun, and had my best combo (open wound + bottom attack) queued up for my final round. Unfortunately, the Drakes drew and AOE attack, and I didn't get a chance to pull that off.

The Brute did manage to kill a few more baddies, and the tink unloaded as much damage using lost cards as he could do. On the Tinkerer's last turn before being exhausted he was able to take out the elite drake and whittle the last normal drake down to 2 health. The Brute took out the last elite spirit on the same turn, and had to long rest after that in order to get rid of a wound, plus recharge his damage mitigation items and running boots. He survived the rest, and took out the last drake on the next turn, also positioning himself to push the last cave bear (elite, amost full health) into a trap on his next turn. That worked and took the cave bear down to 8 health. The Brute probably had 3-4 cards left at that point. But was able to super charge his move 6+2, then attack the cave bear for the number of moves he had done that turn. As long as he didn't draw a -1 or worse, we were going to win. He drew a x2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Gorski
msg tools
This one stomped us last night as a party of 5:
Lvl 4 Tinkerer, Lvl 3 Cragheart, Lvl 3 Scoundrel, Lvl 3 Brute, Lvl 3 Spellweaver

Playing on Difficulty 4 (2 per avg lvl, +2 for 5th player).

I think what made it so bad for us was that our Scoundrel opened the door while one Elite Stone Golem was still in the first room and our Brute & Cragheart were long-resting in anticipation of the next round opening door and 1-hero finish of the golem. Typically and thus far we had an easy time with door opening, then invis blocking; however, in this scenario the Living Spirits are FLYING and at the high difficulty have rather far move (4 normal, 5 elite - on several cards) and attack ranges (3 normal, 4 elite) so they could easily maneuver and focus on our long-resting Brute. The Brute got murdered and had to shed 4 cards (he was long resting and all his cards were in discard, so dmg mitigation by cards was 2 cards, not 1) plus lose another 1 as a consequence of the long rest destroying half his deck in one move.

We battled on but just couldn't clear it fast enough and after several other heroes had to lose a card to dmg eventually we got all exhausted. We did a decent attempt though with only 2 monsters remaining (1 normal Living Spirit at 1 health, and 1 elite Spitting Drake at 6 health) we feel that if we didn't have the bad misfortune of bad long-rest positioning with the door opening we would have prevailed.

Our Cragheart and Scoundrel got enough XP thought to hit level 4 for next play session when we revisit this scenario (after going back to GH so they can level up, more City & Road events). The CH is really excited to start throwing obstacles around and doing non-shield-mitigated incidental damage to the Living Spirits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmb
I don't recall this one causing much difficulty at all but there may well be an element of luck with the monster draws. I'm pretty sure that the drakes have one or two non-moving cards which always buys a little time.

The most important thing with this scenario, from memory, is managing your initiative so that you can be pretty confident that you will either move first, if you need to get an early attack in or need to position yourself accordingly; or last, to allow them to come to you (cave bears in particular).

Stone Golems are slow. You can be pretty confident of what they will do in a given turn (excepting one ranged attack) so finish them off at the cost of as few cards as possible. Emptying this room before opening the door is key but it isn't worth losing any of your biggest loss-cards over it. I remember our Cragheart used his obstacle-manipulation to really hamper the stone golems movement so we could pick them off without too much damage taken.

Best advice I can give for room 2 is :
- to use early initiative and then, when the cards are flipped, have a look at exactly where the monster movement will take the drakes, living spirits and cave bears. You can then try to get an attack in and use your movement to be 'out of range', 'out of line of sight' or to take advantage of a non-attack card by going on fully the offensive.
- with so many enemies, all of your characters will need to share out the hp-damage so the doorway-block isn't likely to work. You're better off holding back in the first room, picking at enemies from range through the doorway and when things get a little more congested all character players go through at once with big damage cards.
- remember that it is usually better to kill a few enemies than thinly spread the damage over them all (a damaged monster hits just as hard and can heal - a dead monster can't do either).

Character-specific - Scoundrel - use invisibility and late/early initiative to limit damage taken and use the big hits on the cave bears. Cragheart - use the true damage attacks to take out the shielded enemies quickly. The Brute is your best chance at taking damage but can't do it in isolation. Our Brute ended up killing a lot of damaged enemies with Trample + Boots of Striding followed up by:

Spoiler for later card:

Whirlwind with four adjacent enemies

and that broke their resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had mindthief and scoundrel for this one. I remember it not being too bad. The door invisibility trick helped to split up the monsters - we basically got to fight the spirits first, since they flew over to us while everything non flying stood still. Once they were dealt with, the rest wasn’t too bad - MT used stuns on the big bears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this one with only two characters, and even with some poor play on our part (one player was just learning Two Minis), we finished it pretty easily.

The first room was almost trivial because of Scoundrel's Visage of the Inevitable. That plus a Stamina Potion took out two Stone Golems in two rounds. Then she spent the third round finishing off the third Stone Golem that Two Minis was working on.

The key to the second room is being able to deal with Living Spirits quickly. True damage and/or Pierce make them a non-threat. Attacking them conventionally takes way too long.

After the Living Spirits are down, focus the Cave Bear, since it hits the hardest. Save the Spitting Drakes for last, because they'll typically be the furthest away anyway and they're not as big of a threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
We played this one with only two characters, and even with some poor play on our part (one player was just learning Two Minis), we finished it pretty easily.

The first room was almost trivial because of Scoundrel's Visage of the Inevitable. That plus a Stamina Potion took out two Stone Golems in two rounds. Then she spent the third round finishing off the third Stone Golem that Two Minis was working on.

The key to the second room is being able to deal with Living Spirits quickly. True damage and/or Pierce make them a non-threat. Attacking them conventionally takes way too long.

After the Living Spirits are down, focus the Cave Bear, since it hits the hardest. Save the Spitting Drakes for last, because they'll typically be the furthest away anyway and they're not as big of a threat.

We played this one recently with a level 4 CH, level 3 TI and level 4 SW on hard. I (the SW) didn't end up doing too much in the scenario other than providing occasional stuns as my AoE attacks never ended up being in my hand when they would apply, or enemies would die before my initiative came up. However, the CH's suffer damage abilities helped a lot with the shielded enemies and his obstacle placement ended up buying us a lot of time from the melee enemies. The TI also had some pretty nice crowd control that helped us ignore several of the enemies. Even with that, the CH ended up having to lose several cards to damage mitigation on the first couple turns we had the door open.

This was actually the first scenario we played at +1 difficulty and it seemed pretty rough, but we made it through by juggling aggro between party members and using obstacles/stuns/positioning to minimize the attacks we had to take on vulnerable characters.

Edit:

The reason I quoted Dexter was to say that we took the opposite approach and needed to kill the drakes/living spirits while immobilizing/putting obstacles in the way of the bears. The ranged enemies have much less health so it was more efficient to take them out quickly than trying to get the bears down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.