Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 2 Figure solo scenario cheese? **spoilers** rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I just unlocked this class, but given the bear's strength, the main difficulty of the BT solo scenario appears tied to you and your bear being separated, right?

Originally I was thinking my strategy would be using the teleport to swap a bear wounded mob with the fresh elite on the Tyrant side, but then I realized:

The scenario special rules note those obstacles cannot be jumped over or flown over, but they never said you can't destroy them. You can have your bear by your side in room 2 with at least 1 route that I know of.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Item 133 destroys an adjacent obstacle.
Granted first you have to unlock it, but it only costs 20gold, so any fresh BT can afford it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Just tested it out. Admittedly didn't help as much as I hoped, the wolves caught up pretty fast. And getting the bear through a door is slow regardless of which side he is on. But it was nice not worrying about the Tyrant's HP anymore and I did beat it first try with a fresh lvl 5 character and as my first time playing the class, so can't say it hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j ribs
msg tools
mb
It would be fair to assume that since these are obstacles you can not jump over or see over, that they are not normal obstacles, which would mean you can't destroy them like a normal obstacle.

Although the rules don't specifically say you cant destroy them, its obviously meant to be played a certain way. I wouldn't say this is a cheese as much as it is just playing the scenario wrong. You also can't teleport swap your bear over, the rules specifically say you can't use the bottom half of that card.

I wouldn't count that as a win honestly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
It says you can't use the loss card to teleport any 2 figures. Doesn't say you can't use the card that swaps enemies to put the harder ones on the bear side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that item was not taken into account. Using it is going against the spirit of the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Moura
msg tools
Cephalofair wrote:
Yeah, that item was not taken into account. Using it is going against the spirit of the scenario.

Since were talking about going against the spirit of the scenario, Im not sure if it was your intent for us to be able to do the following on the three arrows solo scenario

Use reinforced steel card and the winged boots, jump over every single trap, grab the goal and then watch as the enemies kill themselve son all the traps moving towards you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah, obviously this wasn't intended, it's due to a cardboard cave tile limitation. But that's why I put that it was cheesy in the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DakonBlackblade wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:

Since were talking about going against the spirit of the scenario, Im not sure if it was your intent for us to be able to do the following on the three arrows solo scenario

Use reinforced steel card and the winged boots, jump over every single trap, grab the goal and then watch as the enemies kill themselve son all the traps moving towards you

This was the first solo scenario I did and I definitely made it to the goal without triggering any traps with the regular jump boots. I'd say it's definitely intended and part of the scenario strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Witte
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tibbles wrote:
It says you can't use the loss card to teleport any 2 figures. Doesn't say you can't use the card that swaps enemies to put the harder ones on the bear side.

Omg, I lost the scenario twice yesterday and thought, I wasn't allowed to use the bottom of Concentrated Rage instead of Disorienting Roar surprise

I didn't use Disorienting Roar's Bottom though because I thought that would leave me with a ton of enemies in the last room. I'm not quite sure if the scenario would get any easier when using Concentrated Rage's bottom action. I used it's top action for disarming quite a lot.

Did you guys use Disorienting Roar's Bottom? Bear side should be much easier then but what strategies did you use on the tyrant side? I'm Level 5 and went all for super bear strategy with card choices so I don't have much attacks for the tyrant himself. Basically I was lucky in my first try with the summoned alligator. Somehow managed to keep him alive until the last room. Than in my last turn before exhaustion I had to draw a +1 to win but drew 3 heal rolling modifiers and then a null cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I still haven't redone this one without destroying the wall, but what I did in the room before that was I had the bear hit his enemy down to 1 hp (granted, not accidentally killing it is rather luck-based) and summoned the alligator on the Tyrant side. Then I swapped the 2 enemies and let the alligator kill the nearly dead enemy while the bear got the unhurt elite. Without destroying the wall, my original plan was to do that same thing in every room.

If you go super bear build, I dunno how else you'd do it, your Tyrant just doesn't have any damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Personally, I found the bottom action 2 poison card (top summon a snake) to make a big difference in beating the mission. Beast Tyrant has several attacks that cc enemies (if you take them), so you can actually fight through the monsters on your side with those powers and summon (I finally made use of the top action crocodile). However, if the enemies pull their heal cards, I lost both a lot of time and the window to kill them during what is hopefully a cc chain. Adding in the poison card to both boost my damage and block a heal meant the strategy was more resilient against defensive enemy draws.

Granted, I still barely won, but that was an improvement over the previous two times. Also, I messed up by using the bottom action of concentrated rage, which proved much harder to use effectively than normal. It was definitely not worth losing a card on that run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Witte
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your tips, guys! Played again tonight and won without much trouble.

I tried to pull off the enemy switching action but it didn't work out first (bear killed off last enemy in his room before I could switch), then I lost the card because I thought I might not be able to do it. Tip with the poison card was very helpful. This and all tyrant cards I had combined with the alligator summon made it quite easy. I also didn't use Concentrated Rage's bottom action. Got into trouble once when I opened the last room and bear/alligator needed several turns to follow up (maybe CR bottom might have helped with this^^ But disarming the cave bear twice also helped a lot).

But I also got quite lucky with attack modifier draws this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.