Subject: 5 player experience? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Imort
Germany
Kerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In our group we loved Descent 2nd Ed at first, but hated it in the end because of balance issues, and no one wanted to be the OL anymore. We are experienced gamers and don't fear many rules or longer games. Can you recommend this for 5 players? Is downtime a problem? Is it getting fiddlier with even more monsters on the board? Is it fun at all with 5 heroes?

Thanks for your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the best Dungeon Crawler we've ever experienced so far (Gloomhaven is not to be considered as a Dungeon Crawler, nor is KDM). If you're a group of experienced players, you should enjoy the game as much as we did. The IA behaviour may be quite complex, but really enjoyable. The way dice are to be used is so smart! Great game, really.

With 5 players of course there might be some dowtime. 4 players is probably the best configuration. But still, you should pretty much enjoy the game if you're looking for a solid dungeon crawler.

Don't forget it's a dungeon crawler though. There's no worker placement here, or heavy ressources management. It's all about rolling dice, living an adventure, levelling and getting new talents, opening treasures, looting corpses, drinking potions, casting spells, throwing daggers and fighting with axes. But all of these are really well designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
It's the best Dungeon Crawler we've ever experienced so far (Gloomhaven is not to be considered as a Dungeon Crawler, nor is KDM). If you're a group of experienced players, you should enjoy the game as much as we did. The IA behaviour may be quite complex, but really enjoyable. The way dice are to be used is so smart! Great game, really.

With 5 players of course there might be some dowtime. 4 players is probably the best configuration. But still, you should pretty much enjoy the game if you're looking for a solid dungeon crawler.

Don't forget it's a dungeon crawler though. There's no worker placement here, or heavy ressources management. It's all about rolling dice, living an adventure, levelling and getting new talents, opening treasures, looting corpses, drinking potions, casting spells, throwing daggers and fighting with axes. But all of these are really well designed.

Off topic question that you are completely free to not answer if you don't care to:

Why is Gloomhaven not a dungeon crawler? (I'm not saying it is, or that it isn't, I don't know. I'm just asking because you're the first person I've seen mention "Gloomhaven" and "dungeon crawler" and say Gloomhaven isn't one, so that piked my interest!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword & Sorcery has become our groups favourite dungeon crawler. We have 5 and found the first queat balanced - we ended with a few deaths but mostly due to unfamiliarity on the rules and mechanics of the game. On the second quest it was the opposite and a little too easy. I've heard it gets more challenging after 3 so we haven't got that far yet.

As for downtime, there is quite a bit since not only are you waiting for other player turns, but a number of enemy turns as well. But the game does well to keep you engaged, as you are either controlling certain monsters or discussing tactical options with your group. I don't any of us ever felt bored, but perhaps we're all big fans of fantasy coop style games.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the biggest thing that helps with the downtime is just having everyone be intimately familiar with the combat rules. Since there are a dozen different places to check on what affects how much damage you just did with your roll, someone who knows the rules like the back of their hand knows the answer in 2 seconds after the roll but someone who only kind of knows the game will take two minutes adding it all up. Multiple that by a few hundred combat rolls a game and it makes a massive difference. And, the best way for everyone to be that familiar is to play often and not just play one mission a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.