Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Indian Summer» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Any other strategies than saving up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Ramsey
msg tools
I played this game 3x yesterday and all three games resulted in us saving up a lot of treasure icons, than filling up around 9 tiles with those squirrel-tiles in our last turn. I reread the manual a few times and it is possible to save up a lot, convert everything to nuts and use all those nuts in one turn. So it feels like a lot is about preparing for the endgame.

We tried using the treasures in game, but nuts in the end seem worked the best or are we seeing this wrong? It's a bit different than I expected the game to be.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don’t you use the mushrooms to steal from each other?
I must admit that I haven’t played it enough to try many strategies, but so far it’s been a pretty mean affaire without time to keep saving stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen the same phenomenon of collecting stuff, then in the last turn convert everything to nuts and dump everything onto the board to finish the game. That said, I wouldn't call this a strategy, and I do use all types of tokens during the game as well to get extra tiles, actions or in the case of nuts, to fill up a board section.

The game is all about finding the most efficient way to filling up your board: pay attention to getting bonuses, but get sidetracked by optimizing bonuses and you lose.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
douggie wrote:
We tried using the treasures in game, but nuts in the end seem worked the best or are we seeing this wrong? It's a bit different than I expected the game to be.

Since two nuts make a mushroom; and a mushroom gives you two tiles from your opponents which cover decidedly more forest floor than the two squirrels you'd otherwise have gotten, I conclude that the efficiency of a 'pure squirrel strategy' is questionable at best. It gets worse: a mushroom gets you 7 or 8 filled squares easily (and quite regularly more), nearly as much or more as the 9 tiles you had saved up. It accomplishes this without touching your own tile supply as well as diminishing the stock of your opponents. Given all of the preceding I really think it's a bad idea to save up on nuts.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
douggie wrote:
We tried using the treasures in game, but nuts in the end seem worked the best or are we seeing this wrong? It's a bit different than I expected the game to be.

Since two nuts make a mushroom; and a mushroom gives you two tiles from your opponents which cover decidedly more forest floor than the two squirrels you'd otherwise have gotten, I conclude that the efficiency of a 'pure squirrel strategy' is questionable at best. It gets worse: a mushroom gets you 7 or 8 filled squares easily (and quite regularly more), nearly as much or more as the 9 tiles you had saved up. It accomplishes this without touching your own tile supply as well as diminishing the stock of your opponents. Given all of the preceding I really think it's a bad idea to save up on nuts.


This!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Ramsey
msg tools
At first I didn't het wat you meant, but I read the manual wrong. I thought that the mushrooms would just steal the tiles and put it next to your backpack, but now I understand that you can put down two tiles on your board with the mushroom. Thanks for clarifying and I will try it with the correct rules next time.

I know there is a picture in the mushrooms explanation in the manual, but for some reason I didn't pay much attention because I thought they were a bit confusing I think. Overall, even though the manual tries to explains everything, it was still confusing to me, but that's a another discussion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
douggie wrote:
Overall, even though the manual tries to explains everything, it was still confusing to me, but that's a another discussion.

Yes, I concur. It tries to spell out every last detail, but in doing so it becomes unclear again as there is more text to absorb which says the same things more often in slightly different ways.

It's nice to hear we've uncovered a rules error here: I'm sure you'll find the game much more interactive once you begin to use mushrooms more effectively. That said, surprising end of game sprints are still possible, so do keep an eye out on those nuts. They might be the only thing that stands between you and loss meeple.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One other strategy that sets me up well is making sure that the feather square on my board will be part of my first animal tile bonus (ie a shape of holes that I can claim). What shape depends on what tiles I get and what are out there. I try to keep the shape to one sector too, so I can claim the bonus on my first "harvest" or whatever the game calls it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.