Subject: A few observations after returning to AH LCG. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is always great to return to a game after almost a year.

It shows a different perspective after all the initial purchase hype and playing sessions.

It should be done more btw for those giving ratings to a game so they can adapt initial ratings.

1. The AH LCG is still a nice collectable card game that plays extremely well in solo mode with 1 or 2 investigators.

2. Replayability is great. I replayed a user made scenario that was as fresh as if I never played it before. Memories fade after more than a year absence.

3. In a direct competition with Eldritch Horror this card game looses out on excitement though. The card game is a bit too mechanical to get the same sweeping experiences as that boardgame. Mansions of Madness2 is far more story telling but the AH LCG has more replayability after X time.

4. Looking back, its most negative points are the price and the storing system. For 110-120 euro you really get only one Campaign of 8 connected adventures. If you would play that once with a solo investigator that's rather expensive for a pure card game.
Storing needs to be done in 3 ways: map for player cards and easy deck building, vertical dividers in a box for the adventure cards and of course basic box to put in coins and counters.

The end conclusion is that I still like it and it is certainly worthwhile to hold on it despite the storage problems.

But frankly there are still too few Campaigns to play through and the game mechanics are indeed inferior to the LotR LCG.

Adapted score 8.6

PS. It takes 8 months before you can play a complete new adventure campaign and that hurts the game really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice honest review. I love the game but do agree with some points you make. The storage is the biggest flaw. Im trying a few different things at moment to adjust to the growing game seeing its still in its infancy.

Could you go into some more detail about LotR vs AH for me? What pushes LotR ahead for you? I have got the base set recently and think its awesome and didnt want to collect for both games. I said to myself I was going to complete Carcosa and see how I feel about AH then to see if its worth waiting (like you say) another 8 months. My problem is Im relatively new to the Cthulhu mythos stuff and woukd really like a Cthulhu centered adventure before calling it. But LotR is hell of a lot quicker to table and play which as a parent of 2 kids is kindda big deal for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Hobbes
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
regarding storing I do recommend to just use plastic bags.
perfectly fine for playing and less than 5$.

but if you are willing to invest do buy a woodden box specifically for ah tcg. It looks so amazing and makes the game even more fun. its now my most beautiful game and that adds to the immersion. plus custom playmats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing about replayability and the expansion stuff. The campaign you may only play through once. But you get additional investigator cards with every cycle, so those will get reused in either future campaigns or replaying old ones and/or fan-made scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.