Hide
10 Posts

The Red Dragon Inn» Forums » Rules

Subject: I HAVE PHYSICALLY NEVER SEEN THIS HAPPEN BEFORE!!! XD rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neophyte Expert
msg tools
Okay, so, amidst my new RDI "is this legal" questions is the FUNNIEST scenario that I've ever seen happen, such that it gets its own thread. Because holy crap, this is funny. XD

Okay, it goes like this. We had an enemy Deidre (it's always Deidre in the games I join/play that gets in the most amusing shenanigans) kinda pick at everyone back and forth. So we started picking back at her, making her need to protect herself a bit.

Later in the game, she draws Elven Wine as her drink. She plays "Water into Wine" to make it +2.

She then plays "Here, you need this more than I do!" to try to pass the entire drink to someone else. I -IMMEDIATELY- play "I Don't Think So!" on the 'drink passing' card, knowing that she already spent her IDTS earlier.

Her last card is a "Wench says Don't Mess with the Drink", but she can't use it on my card, both because it's not messing with her drink, nor is it legal to play a Wench on an ITDS. And when she tries to take back "Water into Wine", all 3 of us laughingly reject her from doing so, since she wouldn't have been able to if any of us had ignored the drink if she passed it to us.

She says she should be able to play her Wench Card on her own Drink Spiking Card, then, to keep her from gaining that additional +2. And all of us are rolling at her frustration.

In the end, we allow it, under the grounds of people being able to play "Ignore Action Card that does Fort Damage" if someone redirects an attack back at them somehow, like some of the psychic characters can.

But I'm curious; any holes here, in regard to the rules? Should she have been able to take back her drink spike card naturally? Should she have been able to use the Wench on it after she got stuck with the drink?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She can't take back any cards played.

She made an error by spiking her own drink before she successfully passed it.

She should have tried to pass it, then if successful, spike it. As humerous as her order of operations was, it was a poor tactical move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neophyte Expert
msg tools
Heh. I figured as much, at least in regards to being stuck with the drink. Still not sure about whether or not she should have been allowed to use the Wench on her own spiking, though the hilarity of the situation made it a win either way: do bonus damage to yourself, or have to burn your Wench just to prevent said bonus damage. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

She should have tried to pass it, then if successful, spike it. As humerous as her order of operations was, it was a poor tactical move.

Agreed, but the real question here, and they one I think they were really looking for the answer to is, Can you play "The Wench says Don't Mess with the Drink" on your own drink to cancel your own card that messes with the drink.

To be honest, I don't see why not. I guess it depends on the exact wording of the card (don't have mine in front of me to look), but if it does not specify whos card it cancels and simply says to ignore any cards that mess with the drink, then sure it should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can absolutely counter your own stuff.

I could play a card, then play a sometimes card to counter it, then I don't think so myself.

Twould be entertaining to watch for sure. But highly impractical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

What you are suggesting is usually correct. HOWEVER, an argument can be made for Deirdre negating her own drink Spike after the failed Pass attempt if the Pass attempt was played in response to the Spike. So if the order of opperations was:

Reveal Elven Wine.
In response to the Drink, Spike it.
In response to the Spike, Pass the Drink.
In response to the Pass, Negate the Pass.
Resolve the Negation.
In response to the Spike, Negate the Spike.
Resolve the Negation.
Drink the Elven Wine.

However, the chain of events probably more accurately played out as:

Reveal Elven Wine.
In response to the Drink, Spike it.
Resolve the Spike.
In response to the Drink, Pass it.
In response to the Pass, Negate it.
Resolve the negation.
(The Spike has already resolved, so you cannot Negate it)
Drink the Elven Wine.

HOWEVER, as another player at the table, if the Elven Wine + Spike wasn't going to eliminate Deirdre, I'd go ahead and let her negate her own Spike so as to consume her "Wench thinks you should stop playing with the drinks!" card so Deirdre doesn't negate one of my Drink Ignores later in the game.

This is a fun little scenario, and typically I play RDI lighthearted enough to allow players to back-track in ways that are tactically awful but technically legal if the order of play is interpreted with a little leeway. Besides, this isn't a pure back-track since Deirdre in this scenario is blowing one of the best cards in her deck to do it.

If you want a cold hard official ruling, for serious tournament-level play, then everyone should be announcing specifically which cards they are playing their Sometimes and Anytime cards in Response to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neophyte Expert
msg tools
MajaiofDreams wrote:

I could play a card, then play a sometimes card to counter it, then I don't think so myself.

I don't think you can attack yourself as an action. o.o

As for the actual situation, it's interesting that the more "official" way of resolving the cards would have left her with the Spiked Version of the drink. Though, as we played, I far prefer her having to deal with the irony of burning through one of the best cards in the game to deal with an effect she brought upon herself outright. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeophyteExpert wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

I don't think you can attack yourself as an action. o.o

As for the actual situation, it's interesting that the more "official" way of resolving the cards would have left her with the Spiked Version of the drink. Though, as we played, I far prefer her having to deal with the irony of burning through one of the best cards in the game to deal with an effect she brought upon herself outright. XD

I never said you can attack yourself as an action.

I said you can play a sometimes card, then counter it, then counter the counter. All legal moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neophyte Expert
msg tools
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I never said you can attack yourself as an action.

I said you can play a sometimes card, then counter it, then counter the counter. All legal moves.

You'll excuse me for the open-endedness of "I can play a thing, then counter it, then counter the counter" confusing me, since the number of situations in which someone can -start- something on themselves that would enable them to then play a counter to that action, then an IDTS to that counter, are -very- situational. The only examples I can think of are the modification of one's own drink, or maybe making oneself Tip the Wench.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
A
flag msg tools
When I play the game, I generally play to have fun. I care less about cold hard rules than I do for everyone having a great laugh. I likely would have allowed it, if only to laugh at her. Lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.