Hide
10 Posts

The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: The Showdown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Flint
msg tools
As much as this is a card game, I feel that the showdown should be the big boom of DFCG.
And yet I feel it's not.
I've been playing 5-6 games so far, and not once did the showdown solve anything. Either I got to the last turn with all the solved cases and dead foes I needed, or I simply lost.
Once I had a foe with 1 missing hit (I think it was the shadowman) but then at the showdown I spent 3 fates to kill him. And good thing I did, since my dice only gave me a -1.
Apart from that I never solved a case nor killed a foe during a showdown, no matter how many fate points I had.

Is anyone feeling the same about it? Am I the only one thinking that the showdown phase might need some adjustment or a variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, my wife and I find the showdown to be great. I'd say about half the games we play, the showdown is necessary. And of those half, about half of those are won in the showdown. The dice can be finicky, it is a huge gamble, but it's thematic and fun. That big roll at the end of the game is great, especially when you both roll 3 dice, splitting up the responsibility. Our last game was a side jobs scenario with 6 enemies, 2 cases, and 4 advantages. We barely squeaked out a win in the showdown, defeating our 5th enemy with 5 hits. Great fun, and everyone at the table cheered.

There seems to be a lot of threads where people want to change the game to make it harder, easier, more fun, etc., but for us, the designed game is one of our favourites. Perfect for everyone? Of course not. If you want to change something, go right ahead. We like that the game can be punishing, or feel easy, or come down to a showdown where you roll a crazy 5 pluses. It's thematic to the books, which we both love. Where am I going with this? Right, we haven't created a variant for the showdown, because despite having won with the showdown a couple of times, it's not something you can depend on. I mean, there's generally 6 dice rolled for a given fate level, that's too many. But again, it's a quick, tense, thematic end to a game that is quick and thematic. I don't think we've ever had a showdown where everyone wasn't quiet and watching the dice intently. Great experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty damn hard game, and often the showdown is the difference between winning or losing.

for me, it's about how much you can prepare in advance to give you the best possible chance of achieving something in the showdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had at least a couple games where I won with a lucky roll in the showdown. It definitely feels more dramatic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All novels are about Dresden having a ton of luck during showdown dice rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Patry
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haha +1 for that comment Jamel Rha.

Same, i fond the showdown to be perfectly balanced and yet amanzginly frustrating/rewarding

It's well thought out and this game is amazingly fun. I beat all current books on 'easy' solo(13 fates).

Now i'll try to do it at the next stage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tweed Dust
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick question about the showdown:

At the Showdown you spend FP to get some auto Clues or Hits and a number of dice. Are those Hits/Clues and dice spent on only one foe or case, per spent FP, or does the spent FP apply towards all the cases/foes left with previous Clues/Hits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TweednDust wrote:

At the Showdown you spend FP to get some auto Clues or Hits and a number of dice. Are those Hits/Clues and dice spent on only one foe or case, per spent FP, or does the spent FP apply towards all the cases/foes left with previous Clues/Hits?

Separately. You roll dice and spend fate separately for each eligible case and foe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TweednDust wrote:

Those are spent on one foe/case, but you do get to roll for each foe and case with damage on it. So you could spend 1 FP on defeating a foe, then 3 FP on a case, and 0 FP on another case, following whatever the rules for that particular showdown are.

This means, depending on how many foes you need to defeat or cases you need to solve, you can either put in as much Fate as you can afford to get an easy win over a foe or to easily solve a case, or you can go for a long shot win on something that needs 4 more hits to defeat.

Edit: ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tweed Dust
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Separately. You roll dice and spend fate separately for each eligible case and foe.

Thanks for the information

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.